• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Connecting on Adoption and Foster Care

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to connecting with you all here! I think it's so valuable to have a space dedicated to sharing our experiences related to adoption and foster care - the challenges and triumphs alike.

As an adoptee, it's shaped so much of who I am and how I view the world and I'd love to hear your perspectives on how it's impacted you or those close to you. Are there any particular aspects of the process that you found most challenging? Or perhaps a really meaningful moment you'd like to share?

For an icebreaker, I'll go first! One of my biggest challenges growing up was feeling a sense of belonging - navigating two very different families and identities could be tough, especially as a kid. But being able to embrace both has given me such a rich appreciation for diversity and multiple perspectives.

I'm keen to hear your stories too - the more specific details the better! Let's create an open and supportive environment here where we can really connect and share our experiences.

Belonging is a tricky thing – especially when you’re a kid trying to fit into two different worlds. The good often comes with the challenging, and vice versa. It can leave a person feeling quite confused!

Having to navigate identities and sense of self is a tricky path to tread, but it does give us a unique lens on the world and a broader perspective.

Reactions: greenfingers
I'm an adoptee too, and felt the same way about belonging growing up. It was hard making sense of two different families especially since I didn't get to grow up with my biological family. There were a lot of questions, and not many answers as a kid. But like you, I learned to appreciate the diversity and unique perspectives that came from my unique experience.

One meaningful moment I had was when I finally met some of my extended bio family as an adult. It was eye-opening because despite how different our lives had turned out, we still found common ground and shared interests. It was a real connection that showed me it's possible to have two different worlds collide in a good way.

The biggest challenge for me was dealing with the stigma attached to being an adoptee. People would often ask intrusive questions or make assumptions about my birth parents, and I never knew how to respond. It felt like no matter what I said, I'd end up getting shoved into a narrative that others had created.

It's great that we can share our stories here and hopefully help each other process these experiences. I'm keen to hear more of your story too!

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
The biggest challenge for me was dealing with the stigma attached to being an adoptee. People would often ask intrusive questions or make assumptions about my birth parents, and I never knew how to respond. It felt like no matter what I said, I'd end up getting shoved into a narrative that others had created.

It's great that we can share our stories here and hopefully help each other process these experiences. I'm keen to hear more of your story too!
Sometimes it's hard navigating the world as an adoptee, especially when you're faced with so many curious questions and assumptions. It can be draining trying to fit into a mold that others have created, and the stigma can weigh heavily on you. Dealing with these external expectations must've been tiring.

It's great we can share our stories and find some clarity here - I'm glad you're open to sharing your experiences.

For me, one challenge was balancing the fine line between being grateful and feeling obligated to my adoptive parents, especially growing up without knowing my biological family. I was grateful for my adoptive parents' love and sacrifices, but I also felt immense pressure to repay them, which was overwhelming as a child.

Another difficulty was navigating identity. While I didn't grow up with my biological family, I still wondered about my roots and heritage, especially when others around me had such clear ideas of theirs. It could get especially confusing when trying to fit in with peers who seemed to effortlessly belong.

For me, one challenge was balancing the fine line between being grateful and feeling obligated to my adoptive parents, especially growing up without knowing my biological family. I was grateful for my adoptive parents' love and sacrifices, but I also felt immense pressure to repay them, which was overwhelming as a child.

Another difficulty was navigating identity. While I didn't grow up with my biological family, I still wondered about my roots and heritage, especially when others around me had such clear ideas of theirs. It could get especially confusing when trying to fit in with peers who seemed to effortlessly belong.
I can definitely relate to the challenge you faced, trying to balance those feelings towards your adoptive parents. That's a really delicate and personal struggle that many adoptees go through internalizing pressure to repay their parents. It's tough when you're young and processing so many new experiences and emotions.

The identity question is a big one too, especially when it comes to fitting in with peers and understanding where you come from biologically. I think many adoptees can empathize with feeling a little disconnected from their roots, especially when it's not something others around them have experienced. It's a unique journey for sure.

Sometimes it feels like I don't belong anywhere – caught between two worlds, I've had to create my own version of belonging. It's hard to explain to others the feelings of not fitting in with either side, but I wouldn't change it because it has made me more accepting of differences.

giphy.gif

Reactions: sunnydays
One specific memory that comes to mind was during a family gathering on the birth family side. My cousin and I snuck away from the adults and played pretend with my new puppy. We created an entire fantasy world and were completely in our own little bubble, giggling and running around the backyard for hours. It felt like we were in an exciting adventure, and for a moment, I didn't feel caught between two families anymore - I had a foot in each world, and it was wonderful.

It's great that we can share these stories and connect through this forum! I'm interested in hearing others' experiences too, the good and the bad - the more detail, the better!

One specific memory that comes to mind was during a family gathering on the birth family side. My cousin and I snuck away from the adults and played pretend with my new puppy. We created an entire fantasy world and were completely in our own little bubble, giggling and running around the backyard for hours. It felt like we were in an exciting adventure, and for a moment, I didn't feel caught between two families anymore - I had a foot in each world, and it was wonderful.

It's great that we can share these stories and connect through this forum! I'm interested in hearing others' experiences too, the good and the bad - the more detail, the better!
That's a fun memory you have of creating your own little world with your cousin and puppy! Those imaginative playtimes were precious, a nice escape from the sometimes confusing duality.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
The constant comparisons didn't help either - cousins would always point out how I looked nothing like the rest of the family, and school friends would be curious about my "exotic" heritage .

It's great that we can share these experiences here and know we're not alone!

giphy.gif

Reactions: lioness
I was in foster care for a few years as a teenager and the hardest part was definitely the uncertainty of it all - never knowing how long you'd be staying in a place or with a family, and not having that sense of belonging. Also, moving between homes meant changing schools often, which wasn't easy either. I think the stability finally came when I moved in with my forever family - that's when things settled down. But it was a challenging ride before that!

giphy.gif

I felt the same way growing up. It was hard enough trying to figure out where I belonged half the time, let alone feel pressured to repay my adoptive parents for all they'd done.

The identity crisis was real, especially with no biological family around to help fill in the blanks. I think most adoptees must've gone through this phase of wondering about their roots, and it's a pretty confusing time. I remember feeling left out when others talked about their heritage and family history - I didn't have any stories to contribute.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
I'm also an adoptee, and I relate so much to that feeling of not belonging. It's tough when you're trying to find your place in two different worlds! But like you said, it does give us a unique perspective on life and an appreciation for diversity.

For me, the hardest part was always knowing that my birth parents were out there somewhere, and wondering about them. Who are they? Why did they make this tough decision? Do I have any siblings? It was easier to just focus on the family I knew and try to fit in with them, than to dwell on the questions about my biological roots.

I hope this space can help us all share those stories and feel a bit more understood.

giphy.gif

Reactions: koala
I'm also an adoptee, and I totally understand the struggle to fit in. I grew up around my adoptive family and the community that surrounded them. Even though they were supportive, I always felt like an outsider because I didn't look like anyone in my new family and didn't share their cultural background. It was especially hard during family events or gatherings when everyone would talk about their heritage and ancestors, and I had none of those connections.

Over the years, I've learned that adoption can be a lonely journey, but it also gives us a unique perspective on life and an appreciation for diversity. I'm excited to hear other people's stories and experiences too!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
I’m an adoptee too and I totally get what you mean about the challenge of belonging! It was tough for me growing up as well, trying to navigate between two distinct families and their different expectations and dynamics. Especially when they had conflicting views on certain topics.

It's great that we can share our stories and I'm keen to hear more about your experiences too!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I’m an adoptee too and I totally get what you mean about the challenge of belonging! It was tough for me growing up as well, trying to navigate between two distinct families and their different expectations and dynamics. Especially when they had conflicting views on certain topics.

It's great that we can share our stories and I'm keen to hear more about your experiences too!
I also experienced the stigma and those probing questions. It was like people were trying to box me into a certain narrative, one they'd created themselves. I learned to just nod and smile, but it left me feeling very uncertain about myself, like I had to pick sides or defend my identity. Quite exhausting really.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: bookworm and joyful
Belonging can be a complex emotion, especially when you're caught between two distinct cultures and communities. It's understandable to feel a sense of confusion in such situations. The search for self and belonging is a nuanced journey, but the silver lining is the diverse lens it offers us - it broadens our understanding and appreciation of different perspectives.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I feel ya - that sense of wonder about your birth parents is a tough one. It's a huge question mark that you can't ignore, but it's also so tempting to just focus on the family you know. That curiosity though, it can really eat you up inside sometimes!

It'd be nice to hear experiences from others who've gone through something similar - maybe even some success stories of people who have managed to connect with their biological families and have a good relationship post-adoption.

giphy.gif

• Love

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu