• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Child's Play

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As children, some participants had no time for extracurricular activities due to errand-running or a lack of encouragement. However, the lucky ones had plenty of enriching experiences that helped shape their characters in some way or another. The most common activities were sports, arts and music performances. Many spoke about how these experiences helped boost their confidence and encouraged a healthy interest in exercise. Several also mentioned the joy of discovery through reading, which kept their imaginations running wild. The memories of childhood games and hobbies were overall positive, filled with excitement and adventure.

What kinds of extracurricular activities did you partake in as a child?

I was a Girl Guide, which I think helped develop my leadership skills and confidence quite a bit! I also spent many afternoons playing sports at the schoolyard with friends - mainly dodgeball and basketball. The competition and physical activity were so much fun and probably helped me develop some healthy exercise habits!

What about you? Any early hobbies or extracurriculars that stuck with you or impacted your life somehow?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I took part in school band performances and annual singing competitions. I also loved going to the library every week, borrowing loads of books and discovering new genres. The excitement of discovering so many new stories and worlds was exhilarating!

It kept my young mind sharp and imaginative. Those are fun memories!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I did Girl Guides too! And lots of sports - track and field and swimming were my faves. Also took painting lessons which I enjoyed but was never very good at haha. Had loads of fun though! Didn't really develop any healthy exercise habits though, that came much later in life.

200.gif

As a kid, I was big into dancing and the arts - ballet, jazz, piano lessons, art classes.. you name it! Also did swimming and running cause my parents wanted me to be a well-rounded athlete, haha.

The performing arts were really my thing though - I did drama fests and joined speech & drama workshops outside of school too. I think it helped me become a confident speaker and certainly influenced the way I communicate today! Also made some of my best friends from those crazy intensive holiday workshops 😁 .

I didn't really have much time for extra curriculums. I remember spending most of my afternoons watching cartoons and running errands for my mum - the usual marketing stuff. But I did get to play a lot of sports in school, especially during P.E. lessons and recess times. Wish I had joined an actual sports club though, cause school didn't really offer much competitive action. Would've been cool to represent the school in some inter-school tournaments!

I was an active kid! I joined the school band and played the trumpet. Also did art classes every Sunday which my mom had to fetch me because it was so far from home. I remember enjoying it a lot cause I got to paint and make new friends. Quite a peaceful and quiet hobby, that one.

Also loved running around the estate with neighbourhood friends playing all sorts of games - police and thieves, hide and seek... good old days! We'd get so dirty and come home with cuts and bruises sometimes but it was all part of the fun. My mum wasn't too thrilled about that though haha. I think these experiences definitely helped shape my love for movement and being outdoors. I also gained some independence and learned to be streetwise, navigating public transport to get to my destinations from a young age!

I took part in the National Cadet Corps back in primary school. It taught me some discipline and gave me memories of early mornings and drills under the hot sun! I also joined an art club which I really enjoyed because I got to paint and make new friends.

Sports was a big part too - I played tennis and ran cross country, which helped me stay fit and made me appreciate the importance of exercise from young. Quite miss those days!

200.gif

• Love
Reactions: eternity
As a kid, I was really into the arts - drawing, painting, dance...the whole shebang! I think it helped me express myself and develop an eye for aesthetics. I also loved sports; playing soccer and running track kept me fit and gave me a healthy outlet for all that excess energy.

Those interests kinda stuck with me. I still do some painting and drawing on the side, and I run or hit the gym when I can. Wish I could say the same for my dance skills though - they peaked at my ten-year-old self's performance in the talent show, haha!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Yeah, same lah. No time for extra curriculums also. My afternoons were spent playing outside with neighbours - running around catching insects and playing with cheap toys from the $2 shop nearby. Sports was more of a school thing for me too but I didn't get to join any clubs outside school since my family wasn't big on that. Wish I had though, could've been quite fun and good exercise!

I mostly joined all the sports competitions there was in primary school. Track and field events, especially the 100m sprint and long jump were my fave cos I got to run wild and jump around like a mad person 😁 Also did swimming and basketball, but wasn't as into it coz turns out i'm not the most graceful at either.

It was all quite competitive but in a fun way! We would joke and mess about after the actual competitions ended, so the whole experience was really enjoyable for a hyperactive kid like me. I think it just made me love sports in general - which stuck with me til today!

Ah, books and reading - that's a great one! I also enjoyed lots of outdoor time. We played all sorts of games like 'police and thief', 'hide-and-seek' and 'tiggy' . Quite miss those days running around in the sun with my friends.

I took part in loads of CCAs growing up! Was a Girl Guide too, and the adventures and learning certainly helped me make some great friends and gave me some leadership opportunities. I also did ballet and tennis for a few years - didn't quite keep up with them but loved the discipline and focus they taught me. And of course, lots of time was spent playing with gadgets and video games. Lego was a big one too - still enjoy building those sets!

Those activities and the friends I made through them definitely kept me busy and helped shape some of my interests today.

I took part in loads of extracurricular stuff as a kid! School band, drama CCAs, even had a little stint with ballet and piano lessons. But the one that stood out most was swimming. I think being in the pool and doing laps helped me become more disciplined and focused, somehow it's soothing yet energizing at the same time. Also, being part of the school swim team was super fun! The buzz of friendly competition and representing your school was exhilarating.

I think all these activities helped shape me in some way or other, giving me confidence and teaching me important skills like teamwork and perseverance. Quite thankful for all the opportunities I had!

• Love
Reactions: koala
I mostly joined my neighbours and friends for cricket matches, using an old tennis ball, or soccer games in the estate's common field. Also did a lot of reading at home, borrowing books from the library was a weekly routine! These activities kept me occupied and gave my days structure.

The most impactful one was probably choir practice every Sunday morning which helped me develop a love for music, and also brought me to join many other musical groups in school and beyond. That contributed a lot to my confidence when performing on stage, and I made many good friends along the way too!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
I mostly joined my neighbours and friends for cricket matches, using an old tennis ball, or soccer games in the estate's common field. Also did a lot of reading at home, borrowing books from the library was a weekly routine! These activities kept me occupied and gave my days structure.

The most impactful one was probably choir practice every Sunday morning which helped me develop a love for music, and also brought me to join many other musical groups in school and beyond. That contributed a lot to my confidence when performing on stage, and I made many good friends along the way too!
Choir and music an excellent way to spend time as a kid! So cool that it brought you many friends too. I also joined lots of musical groups in school and beyond - it's amazing how these activities can help us develop confidence. I think the sports I played also helped with that too! Very enriching indeed!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Choir and music an excellent way to spend time as a kid! So cool that it brought you many friends too. I also joined lots of musical groups in school and beyond - it's amazing how these activities can help us develop confidence. I think the sports I played also helped with that too! Very enriching indeed!
Yes, it's wonderful how exposure to music and performances helps boost our confidence from a young age! Sports are a great way to build stamina, agility, and resilience - important life skills too. We certainly learn a lot through these experiences which shape us beyond academics!

I did Ballet and Chinese Dance when I was really young cos my mom wanted me to have some grace and be more feminine 🤣. Balletin particular taught me a lot about discipline and dedication - we had to do pliés and all those hard stretches that hurt like mad but you learn to toughen up and power through! I also did swimming and it was so much fun cause I'd do it with my classmates mostly and it felt like such a nice break from studying 😁 I think it helped me stay active too.

Reactions: nature
I also didn't really have a chance to develop any healthy exercise habits back then. I was pretty shy and not too interested in team sports, so I spent most of my time doing dance and swimming - way more chill and enjoyable for me! But I do think being outdoors and playing around definitely helped shaped my love for the environment and nature haha.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and nature
I also didn't really have a chance to develop any healthy exercise habits back then. I was pretty shy and not too interested in team sports, so I spent most of my time doing dance and swimming - way more chill and enjoyable for me! But I do think being outdoors and playing around definitely helped shaped my love for the environment and nature haha.
I had a pretty active childhood, running around playing all sorts of games. I was also into reading, and the school band was cool too. I think it's great that so many folks here had enriching extracurriculars!

I had a pretty active childhood, running around playing all sorts of games. I was also into reading, and the school band was cool too. I think it's great that so many folks here had enriching extracurriculars!
I mostly played sports growing up - soccer and tennis were my favorites! It was the highlight of primary school, having a good game with friends and getting sweaty in the sun. I also loved reading books, comics especially - I think it really sparked my imagination and helped me think creatively.

The Girl Guides is such a cool organisation! Sounds like it helped you develop some great skills too.

• Love
Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu