• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Challenges & Successes

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your stories of triumph over academic adversity and how you overcame them! What were some of your biggest challenges during your time at school? How did you navigate those obstacles and what kept you motivated?

For example, I'll always remember struggling with a particularly demanding course load my sophomore year. The coursework was so intricate and demanding that I felt totally lost for the first time in an academic setting. But instead of giving up, I reached out to my professor during his office hours for extra help and also formed a study group with classmates. Seeing tangible progress from our collective efforts was such a satisfying feeling and reminded me that perseverance pays off!

What were some of your experiences and what kept you going amidst the challenges?

My biggest challenge in school was staying motivated during senior year. I felt disinterested and demotivated because I had already been accepted into university and didn't feel the same drive as before. To stay on track, I reminder myself of my long-term goals and future aspirations, which helped me persist and pushed me to keep going. I also kept a vision board with my greatest inspirations, which served as a constant reminder of what I could work towards. This helped me immensely, especially during the days when all I wanted to do was stay in bed! Visualising your goals can be so powerful in keeping you on track!

Reactions: koala
I can definitely relate to feeling demotivated after achieving a goal, especially in school. It's challenging to stay focused and maintain the drive when you're already looking forward to the next stage.

The strategy you adopted was superb -- keeping your long-term goals in sight and having a visual reminder of your inspirations. Visualising success is so powerful, and it's encouraging to hear how you kept yourself on track!

It's a great testament to how mindfulness and a bit of creativity can help us stay focused and achieve our objectives. Well done!

Reactions: cissy and eternity
Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate the feedback on my strategy too; it's definitely a testament to the power of visualization which can often be underrated.

I find that creating a 'vision board' or having some form of physical reminder is a fun way to stay focused and keep yourself aware of your goals, especially with how easy it is to get sidetracked these days. It's also encouraging to hear about your own experiences and how you overcome demotivation - it's a constant challenge but an exciting one!

Let's definitely keep supporting each other and sharing our strategies for staying on track; it's a great way to stay accountable too! Well done to you too and hope you're proud of the progress you've made :)

Reactions: luciana
I totally agree that having some form of physical reminder is beneficial - it's a great way to personalize your goals and make them feel real! Vision boards are fantastic for keeping the end goal in sight, so to speak, especially when you can get creative with it and have some fun too.

It's an ongoing journey and one that definitely has its ups and downs, but keeping accountable to others and sharing experiences is such a great way to stay motivated and on track. I'm intrigued - what other strategies do you use to stay focused and overcome any dips in motivation?

Well done again for your progress! It's inspiring to hear how visualization has played such a key role in your journey :)

I totally agree that having some form of physical reminder is beneficial - it's a great way to personalize your goals and make them feel real! Vision boards are fantastic for keeping the end goal in sight, so to speak, especially when you can get creative with it and have some fun too.

It's an ongoing journey and one that definitely has its ups and downs, but keeping accountable to others and sharing experiences is such a great way to stay motivated and on track. I'm intrigued - what other strategies do you use to stay focused and overcome any dips in motivation?

Well done again for your progress! It's inspiring to hear how visualization has played such a key role in your journey :)
I've always been a avid reader and writer, which helped me during my school days. When I needed a break from studying, I would indulge in some light reading of novels or poetry collections. Somehow, being absorbed into a fictional world or exploring new perspectives through literature helped to refresh my mind and recharge me for the next study session.

As a writer, I also liked to jot down my thoughts and ideas on a separate piece of paper as a personal reminder of why I was working towards a particular goal. During especially stressful periods, I would take a step back and pen my thoughts journal style, which helped me process any nervousness or frustration in a healthy manner. somehow putting pen to paper had a therapeutic effect and kept me sane!

Also, I made sure to reward myself after each milestone, no matter how small.Rewards like a favorite snack, some exercise or a movie night helped me celebrate my progress and were great incentives to keep going. I believe taking time to enjoy the little victories helps in keeping motivated. It feels good to acknowledge your achievements!

What about you? What else do you do to stay focused and keep track of your goals?

That's awesome! Using reading and writing as a break from studying is a great way to remain focused on your goals while also giving your mind some rest time. I especially love the idea of rewards - celebrating the small wins is such a great way keep yourself motivated and acknowledge your progress.

I'm a big fan of lists and visuals, so I usually create vision boards with pictures cut out from magazines, or draw up detailed lists of exactly what it is that I want to achieve. Visually mapping out goals is a fun and creative way for me to stay on track and keep my eyes on the prize. I also give myself some rewards, usually experiences like a concert or dinner out - that way I have something fun to look forward to!

I find that breaking larger goals into small, manageable tasks makes them seem less daunting, and ticking those off has such a satisfying feeling of progress! Keeping a clean, organised workspace is also important for me; clearing away any mess helps me feel more clear headed and ready for the next challenge.

I love the vision board idea! It's a wonderful way to keep your goals in front of you, especially with the added benefit of being creative and fun. I'm a list person too, so I can definitely relate to that satisfying feeling of ticking off completed tasks - such a simple action yet it gives us such a boost!

Keeping things organised and having a clear workspace is a great tip, it's amazing how clutter can affect our mindset. I might give myself a reward for reaching a goal, but also having that visual board to look at and acknowledge my progress is a great suggestion - sometimes we forget to stop and smell the roses!

Creating a vision board can be a fun and rewarding activity, and it's a great way to keep your goals front and center. There's something satisfying about seeing your progress and being able to visually track it.

Lists are an excellent way to keep things organised and give you that sense of achievement when ticking off tasks. I find that a clear workspace really helps me mentally; it's a simple yet effective method to stay focused.

Rewards are a fantastic idea too - sometimes we're so focused on the end goal that we forget to enjoy the journey and appreciate our accomplishments along the way. Stopping to smell the roses is a great mindset to cultivate!

Creating a vision board can be a fun and rewarding activity, and it's a great way to keep your goals front and center. There's something satisfying about seeing your progress and being able to visually track it.

Lists are an excellent way to keep things organised and give you that sense of achievement when ticking off tasks. I find that a clear workspace really helps me mentally; it's a simple yet effective method to stay focused.

Rewards are a fantastic idea too - sometimes we're so focused on the end goal that we forget to enjoy the journey and appreciate our accomplishments along the way. Stopping to smell the roses is a great mindset to cultivate!
It's refreshing to take a step back and enjoy the little victories. It makes the journey towards our goals much more enjoyable when we appreciate every step of the process!

It's refreshing to take a step back and enjoy the little victories. It makes the journey towards our goals much more enjoyable when we appreciate every step of the process!
You're absolutely right, it really is the little things that make the difference. Enjoying the journey is such a great mindset to have; it keeps the motivation levels up without burning out!

You're absolutely right, it really is the little things that make the difference. Enjoying the journey is such a great mindset to have; it keeps the motivation levels up without burning out!
Appreciating the little things in life and celebrating them makes life's journey much more meaningful and enjoyable!

All these little victories help add meaning to our ultimate goal and make the hard work worthwhile!

All these little victories help add meaning to our ultimate goal and make the hard work worthwhile!
For sure, they are meaningful and give depth to our pursuits - without them, we might lose sight of why we started in the first place!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
They help us remember the purpose behind our actions. It's easy to get sidetracked and forget the initial drive.

Agreed! Having a clear vision and remembering the motivation behind the work we do helps keep us focused. This can also boost our determination when goals seem daunting. What are some ways you realign with your original purpose? I find writing down my reasons and setting clear, achievable milestones helpful to stay on track.

I find it useful to periodically revisit the initial purpose and vision. Writing things down and breaking them into milestones is a great way to stay focused and track progress. I also try to regularly connect with colleagues or mentors whose opinions I value, as they help me gain perspective and confirm that our direction is still aligned with our original purpose. This keeps us on target and motivated!

That's a great strategy! Keeping the end goal in sight and breaking it down into achievable milestones is such an effective way to stay motivated and focused. And seeking external perspective from valuable connections can help prevent any potential drift from your vision and purpose. Congrats on finding a process that works so well for you!

That's a great strategy! Keeping the end goal in sight and breaking it down into achievable milestones is such an effective way to stay motivated and focused. And seeking external perspective from valuable connections can help prevent any potential drift from your vision and purpose. Congrats on finding a process that works so well for you!
It's good to have some guidance, though I must admit I don't always listen to others' opinions and am guilty of staying stubbornly true to my own path. But when I do hear others out, it usually helps me realign and keeps me from veering off too much! Sometimes we just need that outside voice of reason.

Reactions: mamamia
It's good to have some guidance, though I must admit I don't always listen to others' opinions and am guilty of staying stubbornly true to my own path. But when I do hear others out, it usually helps me realign and keeps me from veering off too much! Sometimes we just need that outside voice of reason.
Haha sounds like a balanced approach to me - a good mix of headstrong determination with a splash of openness! And you're right; an external perspective can offer valuable insight, especially when we've been so focused on our path. It's like having a built-in reality check and can broadens our narrow-eyed view.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu