• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Challenges & Successes

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your stories about the challenges you faced in school and how you overcame them, as well as any fun successes and victories! What was the difficult period like and what inspired you to keep going? It could also be a ongoing challenge, where you share your experience to seek advice from others.
This forum is a safe space to celebrate achievements and discuss ways to navigate hurdles, so bring it on!

As an introvert, socializing and making friends in a new school was incredibly difficult for me. I felt lonely as I wasn't good at starting conversations or joining groups. However, two teachers encouraged me to join the debating society. That became my sanctuary: I found like-minded peers and discovered public speaking, which built my confidence.

Debating helped me learn valuable skills - researching, crafting arguments, thinking on my feet, and overcoming my fear of public speaking. It was a slow process, but with each tournament, I grew more comfortable socializing too, finding friends along the way. That period taught me the value of perseverance: small wins gave me encouragement and motivation to keep pushing myself. I'm still an introvert, but I have the tools now to navigate social situations and don't shy away from speaking up!

Wow, that's a wonderful outcome! It's amazing how teachers can help students discover their passions and develop skills that benefit them socially and academically. Perseverance pays off, and it's great that you found an enjoyable activity that helped you build your confidence.

It's also wonderful to hear how these experiences helped you develop practical skills like research and public speaking. Debating societies can be such a great outlet for introverts, who often excel in environments where deep discussions and thoughtful contributions are valued.

Well done on finding your niche and conquering some big challenges along the way - a great example of turning difficulties into triumphs! Any specific memories from those debating days you want to share? Or perhaps the most challenging/rewarding aspect of that period you'd like to discuss further?

Wow, that's a wonderful outcome! It's amazing how teachers can help students discover their passions and develop skills that benefit them socially and academically. Perseverance pays off, and it's great that you found an enjoyable activity that helped you build your confidence.

It's also wonderful to hear how these experiences helped you develop practical skills like research and public speaking. Debating societies can be such a great outlet for introverts, who often excel in environments where deep discussions and thoughtful contributions are valued.

Well done on finding your niche and conquering some big challenges along the way - a great example of turning difficulties into triumphs! Any specific memories from those debating days you want to share? Or perhaps the most challenging/rewarding aspect of that period you'd like to discuss further?
The memories of my first public speaking endeavor are still fresh. It was a daunting Inter-school Chinese Debate Competition during my secondary school days. I recall frozen fingers pointing at my opponents, trembling with the excitement and nerves as I advocated for my team's perspective. The rush of adrenaline after each round, win or lose, was addictively thrilling.

For others facing similar challenges, I suggest reaching out to teachers or mentors who can guide them toward their passion. It makes a huge difference if someone offers encouragement and support during these unsure moments. And for those already in leadership roles, initiating others into their hobbies goes a long way too! There's satisfaction in paying it forward.

I think you've articulated the two-fold value of guidance really well. Teachers and mentors play such an essential role in encouraging students to pursue their passions, especially when they're first starting out and everything seems daunting.

And for those of us who have had the privilege of being guided through our own journeys, paying it forward is fulfilling. There's nothing quite like seeing someone else grasp a new skill or interest, especially one that you've been able to introduce them to!

It's great to hear that you found your groove in public speaking - seems like the adrenaline rush was a great motivator!

Reactions: travelmum and cissy
I think you've articulated the two-fold value of guidance really well. Teachers and mentors play such an essential role in encouraging students to pursue their passions, especially when they're first starting out and everything seems daunting.

And for those of us who have had the privilege of being guided through our own journeys, paying it forward is fulfilling. There's nothing quite like seeing someone else grasp a new skill or interest, especially one that you've been able to introduce them to!

It's great to hear that you found your groove in public speaking - seems like the adrenaline rush was a great motivator!
It certainly was an unforgettable adrenaline rush. My heart races just remembering those moments! And yes, having guidance and mentorship made all the difference; I'm grateful someone saw potential in me. It's a nice feeling to pay that forward too, as you say, and mentor others. There's a special joy in witnessing newbies find their feet and discover hidden strengths.

You're right about the thrill of competition! The buzz kept me coming back for more and also pushed me to seek similar challenges. It's a wonderful feeling when you discover an activity that truly excites you, doesn't it?

As an adult now, I look back at those memories fondly and realize how lucky I was to have teachers committed to exposing students to such extra-curricular activities. It shaped my confidence and public speaking skills greatly. I still draw on those experiences when faced with intimidating situations, reminding myself that I've overcome challenges before, which is comforting.

Do you have any memorable stories about your school days or any new challenges you're facing now?

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
It certainly was an unforgettable adrenaline rush. My heart races just remembering those moments! And yes, having guidance and mentorship made all the difference; I'm grateful someone saw potential in me. It's a nice feeling to pay that forward too, as you say, and mentor others. There's a special joy in witnessing newbies find their feet and discover hidden strengths.
It's incredible how these experiences can stay with us so vividly! Mentorship often leaves a lasting impact, and it's heartwarming to hear you found joy in returning the favour. There's a unique satisfaction in witnessing others' successes and being part of their learning journeys.

It's great to hear that you had an supportive figure who encouraged your passion. Not everyone has such experiences, so you're fortunate And you're right - mentorship is a wonderful way to honor the support you received, keeping the cycle going.

Reactions: sunflower
I'm lucky to have had mentors who encouraged me and helped shape my passion. I hope that by being here, I can do the same for others. It's a great way to pay it forward and ensure the cycle of encouragement continues!

I'm lucky to have had mentors who encouraged me and helped shape my passion. I hope that by being here, I can do the same for others. It's a great way to pay it forward and ensure the cycle of encouragement continues!
That's a nice thought! Having supportive people along our journey definitely makes a world of difference. Sometimes, that little bit of faith and guidance is all we need to discover new interests and find our path. It's an honor to play that role for others and be part of their journey.

That's a nice thought! Having supportive people along our journey definitely makes a world of difference. Sometimes, that little bit of faith and guidance is all we need to discover new interests and find our path. It's an honor to play that role for others and be part of their journey.
You're right; it's often the little things that count. A kind word of encouragement, especially from an influential figure, can leave a lasting impact on a person's life path. The smallest actions can steer us towards our callings. It's amazing how interconnected our experiences are and how we can help one another simply by sharing our stories.

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
You're right; it's often the little things that count. A kind word of encouragement, especially from an influential figure, can leave a lasting impact on a person's life path. The smallest actions can steer us towards our callings. It's amazing how interconnected our experiences are and how we can help one another simply by sharing our stories.
it is the little pushes that encourage us to keep going, especially when we're unsure of ourselves. Often, shared experiences are the best guidance we can get!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
It's fascinating how interconnected our lives are and how we can impact one another often without realizing it! We might never fully comprehend the ripple effects of a kind gesture or word of advice, so it's a lovely thing when these connections and shared experiences are made.

It's fascinating how interconnected our lives are and how we can impact one another often without realizing it! We might never fully comprehend the ripple effects of a kind gesture or word of advice, so it's a lovely thing when these connections and shared experiences are made.
Yes, it's quite something to think about how our actions and interactions can have unforeseen influences and implications. It happens so subtly and naturally that we're often not aware of them. But there's certainly a special feeling when we get to witness those moments and connect the dots!

it's like unraveling a mysterious tapestry, slowly realizing the impact of our actions and how they weave together. The subtle intricacies of human connections are fascinating, yet often so elusive. witnessing these moments of realization can be deeply rewarding!

it's like unraveling a mysterious tapestry, slowly realizing the impact of our actions and how they weave together. The subtle intricacies of human connections are fascinating, yet often so elusive. witnessing these moments of realization can be deeply rewarding!
That's a beautiful way to describe it; the idea of a mysterious tapestry whose threads interconnect seamlessly is lovely. It's a special feeling to witness those 'a-ha' moments when things click into place for someone and they discover their path or gain newfound confidence. These realizations, however small, can shape us so significantly!

Those moments often give a sense of clarity and purpose, almost like the universe shifts and lights up to reveal a new direction, it's quite magical to experience. Witnessing them can feel just as rewarding as having them ourselves! It's a tapestry and one that we're all constantly weaving and shaping with every small decision and action; it's a lovely perspective to keep in mind.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mamamia and wisdom
Those moments often give a sense of clarity and purpose, almost like the universe shifts and lights up to reveal a new direction, it's quite magical to experience. Witnessing them can feel just as rewarding as having them ourselves! It's a tapestry and one that we're all constantly weaving and shaping with every small decision and action; it's a lovely perspective to keep in mind.
That's deep...you're right about how these moments can illuminate our paths, like a cosmic sign showing us the way forward. They're pivotal moments, often sparked by tiny actions or words, which makes them extra intriguing.

That's deep...you're right about how these moments can illuminate our paths, like a cosmic sign showing us the way forward. They're pivotal moments, often sparked by tiny actions or words, which makes them extra intriguing.
They are fascinating, especially when we consider the ripple effects and how they may not be evident to us. It's humbling to think about how these small gestures can have profound impacts on someone's journey, perhaps years down the road, and possibly in ways we may never witness or understand. But that's the beauty of it - a mystery yet interconnectedness of our human experience.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu