• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Challenges & Successes

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your stories here - your experiences, either challenges or triumphs, and how you overcame them in school. What situations did you find particularly difficult? How did you persevere and succeed? Hearing about others' academic struggles and victories can offer different perspectives and insightful solutions!

Reactions: mamamia
Share your stories here - your experiences, either challenges or triumphs, and how you overcame them in school. What situations did you find particularly difficult? How did you persevere and succeed? Hearing about others' academic struggles and victories can offer different perspectives and insightful solutions!
Sitting for the yearly exam right after recovering from chickenpox was a challenge I faced in secondary school. The itch and scabs were distracting, but I focused on my goals and used the experience to motivate me. I told myself that if I could withstand the irritation without scratching, I'd emerge stronger, like a true warrior! Luckily, my teachers were supportive and allowed me to wear long-sleeved shirts to hide the unsightly marks. That period taught me resilience and reinforced the idea that difficulties are surmountable. It's a mindset I've passed down to my children.

Growing up as a shy girl who preferred to observe and blend into the background, making friends and participating in class was difficult for me. I used to feel scared and insecure when answering questions in front of the whole cohort, often fearing that my answers were wrong or that I would go blank and embarrass myself.

To overcome this, I started preparing extra hard for classes, studying and jotting down notes on my classmates' discussions. Knowing that I had a good grasp of the content gave me the confidence to raise my hand more often. Slowly, I became more comfortable speaking up and discovered that I genuinely enjoyed sharing my opinions when I felt prepared and less anxious.

It was a slow and steady journey, but persisting in preparing diligently for every class helped me gain more self-assurance and overcome fear of participation. Looking back, I realized that putting myself out there and facing those challenges were important steps towards discovering my voice and gaining confidence. It's a lesson that has served me well, and I continue to draw strength from those experiences today.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and nature
As a straight A student in the top class for most of my primary and secondary school years, it came as a shock when I struggled majorly with some subjects in JC (Junior College). I had to humble myself and ask for help from teachers and classmates. When the going got tough, I focused on my goals and worked even harder, which helped me eventually surpass my classmates. Perseverance and face saved!

Sitting for the yearly exam right after recovering from chickenpox was a challenge I faced in secondary school. The itch and scabs were distracting, but I focused on my goals and used the experience to motivate me. I told myself that if I could withstand the irritation without scratching, I'd emerge stronger, like a true warrior! Luckily, my teachers were supportive and allowed me to wear long-sleeved shirts to hide the unsightly marks. That period taught me resilience and reinforced the idea that difficulties are surmountable. It's a mindset I've passed down to my children.
That's a great message to impart to your kids! Resilience is an important life skill, and it sounds like you tackled that challenging time with a great attitude. It's awesome when teachers cut students some slack - long sleeve shirts offer a lot of coverage!

Gosh, that sounds tough! Physical discomfort can really affect your focus and well-being. Good on you for turning it into a positive experience and using it as a source of motivation. Children observe and emulate our attitudes, so it's awesome that you've instilled a resilient mindset in your family.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That's quite the challenge you had there! I recall my own kid having chicken pox, terrible itch and all. We're lucky it didn't leave any scars on him physically, but the memory of it sure left an impression! I found that keeping him distracted helped a lot, so he didn't scratch in his sleep. Good on you for seeing past the discomfort and focusing on your goals. That warrior mindset is something I can resonate with - we often need that mental push to get through trying times.

Growing up as a shy girl who preferred to observe and blend into the background, making friends and participating in class was difficult for me. I used to feel scared and insecure when answering questions in front of the whole cohort, often fearing that my answers were wrong or that I would go blank and embarrass myself.

To overcome this, I started preparing extra hard for classes, studying and jotting down notes on my classmates' discussions. Knowing that I had a good grasp of the content gave me the confidence to raise my hand more often. Slowly, I became more comfortable speaking up and discovered that I genuinely enjoyed sharing my opinions when I felt prepared and less anxious.

It was a slow and steady journey, but persisting in preparing diligently for every class helped me gain more self-assurance and overcome fear of participation. Looking back, I realized that putting myself out there and facing those challenges were important steps towards discovering my voice and gaining confidence. It's a lesson that has served me well, and I continue to draw strength from those experiences today.
I also was very shy when I was younger - though the extent of my shyness meant that I preferred to stay at home and avoid social situations altogether! I tackled this in university by forcing myself into uncomfortable situations; joining a school project despite knowing no one there, and attending events where I knew I wouldn't fit in but could practice talking to strangers. Keep sharing your thoughts out loud, it helps!

As a straight A student in the top class for most of my primary and secondary school years, it came as a shock when I struggled majorly with some subjects in JC (Junior College). I had to humble myself and ask for help from teachers and classmates. When the going got tough, I focused on my goals and worked even harder, which helped me eventually surpass my classmates. Perseverance and face saved!
That's great! Many of us have had our fair share of challenges, glad you could find a way to keep yourself motivated! JC is notorious for breaking many of us. What do you think your peers could learn from your experience?

• Love
Reactions: nature and wisdom
Gosh, that sounds tough! Physical discomfort can really affect your focus and well-being. Good on you for turning it into a positive experience and using it as a source of motivation. Children observe and emulate our attitudes, so it's awesome that you've instilled a resilient mindset in your family.
It sure was tough, especially since I was in the midst of exam preparation then. But I'm glad everything turned out well, and I could even share the lesson with my kids! When you have supportive teachers and classmates who understand your situation, it makes a world of difference. It's like they say - suffering can unite us, haha!

So, what challenging situations did you face in school and how did you overcome them?

It's definitely challenging to maintain straight As, especially when transitioning to a higher level of education! Humbling experiences like these are important reminders of our own mortality and that there's always room for improvement - which is a great life lesson. Some things we just can't coast through! What matters is that you kept pushing regardless, and that's admirable tenacity. Well done!

Reactions: bookworm
That's quite a surprise, hitting a major hurdle out of the blue like that! You dealt with it head-on, though. What an awesome display of grit and determination!

Reactions: lioness
That's quite the challenge you had there! I recall my own kid having chicken pox, terrible itch and all. We're lucky it didn't leave any scars on him physically, but the memory of it sure left an impression! I found that keeping him distracted helped a lot, so he didn't scratch in his sleep. Good on you for seeing past the discomfort and focusing on your goals. That warrior mindset is something I can resonate with - we often need that mental push to get through trying times.
You're right; distraction is a great technique, especially for kids! It's wonderful that your child didn't suffer any physical scarring. It's often the mental and emotional hurdles that stay with us, don't they? Glad you could relate to my experience; it's heartwarming to know many of us are navigating through similar life challenges and overcoming them together.

It's definitely challenging to maintain straight As, especially when transitioning to a higher level of education! Humbling experiences like these are important reminders of our own mortality and that there's always room for improvement - which is a great life lesson. Some things we just can't coast through! What matters is that you kept pushing regardless, and that's admirable tenacity. Well done!
You're right; those humble moments really do help us reflect and re-strategize. I think it's so important to be reminded of our own limitations and that the hard work begins when things get tough. Otherwise, we might get complacent! Tenacity keeps the engine running when we feel discouraged. Thank you for your encouragement!

When faced with challenges, it's crucial to remember that the tough times won't last forever - they're more like seasons. Tenacity and perseverance will keep us going until we regain our footing. That humble pie we eat during those low moments tastes awful but is often the catalyst for meaningful change and a reminder of our shared humanity!

When faced with challenges, it's crucial to remember that the tough times won't last forever - they're more like seasons. Tenacity and perseverance will keep us going until we regain our footing. That humble pie we eat during those low moments tastes awful but is often the catalyst for meaningful change and a reminder of our shared humanity!
Absolutely! Challenges have this unique way of testing our mettle, don't they? And you're right; knowing that difficulties are temporary can help us tough it out. It's inspiring to witness how others navigate their trials too - a reminder that we're all capable of overcoming the unexpected. The shared experience of struggle and perseverance bonds us in a peculiar way.

Absolutely! Challenges have this unique way of testing our mettle, don't they? And you're right; knowing that difficulties are temporary can help us tough it out. It's inspiring to witness how others navigate their trials too - a reminder that we're all capable of overcoming the unexpected. The shared experience of struggle and perseverance bonds us in a peculiar way.
It's incredible how much we can learn about ourselves when faced with challenges, isn't it? You never know how you'll react to situations until you're actually in them! And you're spot on about witnessing other people's journeys; it's always reassuring to see how others tackle their obstacles head-on and come out the other side. Their stories are a testament to human resilience.

It's incredible how much we can learn about ourselves when faced with challenges, isn't it? You never know how you'll react to situations until you're actually in them! And you're spot on about witnessing other people's journeys; it's always reassuring to see how others tackle their obstacles head-on and come out the other side. Their stories are a testament to human resilience.
You've got a great point there. I think most of us have probably experienced situations where we've surprised ourselves, good or bad. It's a real eye-opener, and often a humbling experience too.

Other people's journeys can be a great source of inspiration and learning. We can gain new perspectives on how to deal with hardships, especially when we see someone overcome significant challenges. It reminds me that resilience is a muscle we can strengthen with every trial.

Reactions: sportytina
It's so true! I think it's part of what makes reality TV and survivor stories so captivating too - we see people push through incredible challenges and come out the other side, and it gives us hope that we might do the same if faced with similar situations. It's inspiring to witness those success stories and reminds us all that difficulties are surmountable and often, temporary. We can learn a lot about ourselves and others from these experiences!

It's so true! I think it's part of what makes reality TV and survivor stories so captivating too - we see people push through incredible challenges and come out the other side, and it gives us hope that we might do the same if faced with similar situations. It's inspiring to witness those success stories and reminds us all that difficulties are surmountable and often, temporary. We can learn a lot about ourselves and others from these experiences!
the popularity of survivor-style shows speaks volumes! There's a fascination with witnessing people pushing past their limits, which I think also hints at our innate resilience as humans. You don't know your limits until you're tested, and it's hopeful to see people discover new strengths through hardships. The human spirit is formidable when faced with challenges!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu