• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring Tips

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many new and expecting parents in this forum who have probably already experienced the overwhelm of caring for a newborn - am I right?

While we may not have all the answers, sharing tips on things that have worked for us can make the ride a little smoother! What has been your most successful baby care hack yet?

I'll start: When my baby kept waking up every two hours to feed and it felt like my breasts would never hold enough milk, I started pumping between feedings to build up a stash of milk. This helped me get some extra rest and allowed my partner to do some feeds too - lifesaver! Who knew there could be such relief in hearing your baby take to the bottle?!

That's a great tip about pumping between feedings - it's a real game-changer for new parents struggling with feeding and tiredness!

For my son, who had bad reflux, the thing that worked wonders was elevating his mattress with a firm foam wedge. It allowed him to sleep comfortably and reduced the painful reflux episodes. We also used a lightweight muslin swaddle that he loved - it kept him cozy and helped him sleep longer.

Finding what works best for your little one can be a real sanity saver! Would love to hear other people's hacks too!

Elevating the mattress is a clever solution and has clearly helped your son a lot. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference! Muslin swaddles are versatile and a lifeline for new parents - they grow into being a comforter later too, which is reassuringly familiar for babies.

There are some brilliant ideas being shared here, and it's a great reminder that often the simplest solutions are the best. For anyone else reading along, what other simple tips worked well for you?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
For us, white noise played a huge role in helping our little one sleep, especially when she was a newborn. We used a white noise machine and it really soothed her to sleep, and blocked out any sudden noises that could startle and wake her up.

We also found that creating a routine, which included a warm bath, clean pyjamas, a story and then some soothing music worked well to signal to our little one that bedtime was approaching. It's such a satisfying feeling when you discover what works for your baby and you can help them sleep well!

For us, white noise played a huge role in helping our little one sleep, especially when she was a newborn. We used a white noise machine and it really soothed her to sleep, and blocked out any sudden noises that could startle and wake her up.

We also found that creating a routine, which included a warm bath, clean pyjamas, a story and then some soothing music worked well to signal to our little one that bedtime was approaching. It's such a satisfying feeling when you discover what works for your baby and you can help them sleep well!
It's amazing how different babies are and the different senses they respond to, which leads to varied solutions too! White noise is like a miracle cure for some, while others might seek measures like black-out curtains for a good day nap.

What other unexpected hacks have worked for parents out there?

For my daughter, I found that wearing an eye mask helped block out the visual stimulation when she was napping - especially helpful when we were on the go and she had to sleep in a bright environment.

An added benefit is that it also got her used to sleeping with some form of compression on her eyes, so that when we needed her to sleep without the mask (say for car rides), she adapted really well!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
For my daughter, I found that wearing an eye mask helped block out the visual stimulation when she was napping - especially helpful when we were on the go and she had to sleep in a bright environment.

An added benefit is that it also got her used to sleeping with some form of compression on her eyes, so that when we needed her to sleep without the mask (say for car rides), she adapted really well!
That's an interesting trick with the eyemask! Never thought about how it could help with visual stimulation, but it makes perfect sense. Baby care hacks are often the simplest, yet most effective solutions, don't you agree? Anything to make those first few months easier! Any other little discoveries parents might have made?

That's an ingenious idea with the eye mask, especially helpful when out and about! My daughter loved the darkness but would often be awakened by bright lights, so I'll definitely recommend this tip to other parents. It's a simple yet effective solution.

The eye mask trick is an absolute winner - it's amazing what a difference it makes for helping little ones stay asleep. We've found it especially helpful on long car journeys or when travelling, but even at nap time it comes to the rescue. Give it a go, parents! It's a simple yet effective solution!

The eye mask trick is an absolute winner - it's amazing what a difference it makes for helping little ones stay asleep. We've found it especially helpful on long car journeys or when travelling, but even at nap time it comes to the rescue. Give it a go, parents! It's a simple yet effective solution!
Simple solutions are often the best and eye masks are widely available too, which makes this an accessible tip for all parents - definitely worth a try! Any other suggestions that parents could benefit from?

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
My top tip is creating a soothing sensory environment with soft lighting and gentle sounds. This can help calm fussy kids and also ease them into a peaceful sleep. Projectors that create a celestial atmosphere with twinkling stars and lullabies are a wonderful addition to the nursery, especially for night-time cuddles and feeds. The calming visuals and music help babies (and even toddlers) relax without over stimulating them. For older kids, a simple white noise machine with ocean sounds or soothing rainfall can help block out any disruptive noises so they can sleep soundly.

Some great ideas here! We used a similar trick to create a calming sensory environment for our little one, especially during those challenging witching hours and sleepless nights.

The projection toys with the stars and soothing music are amazing - they really helped create a peaceful atmosphere. We also found that keeping the nursery fairly dimly lit, with just enough light to see, helped immensely with nighttime feeds and changes.

For older kids (mine are now 8 and 6), white noise is an absolute lifesaver! It blocks out so much background noise - essential for good sleep, especially if you live in a busy area. We use apps on our phones for this and also for bedtime stories - Peter Rabbit's relaxing tales help calm the kids down after a hectic day.

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve to share? Always looking for new ways to make bedtime smooth sailing!

For sensory-related tricks, I find using essential oils or scent diffusers a great addition to create a soothing atmosphere. certain smells like lavender are known to be calming and can help promote sleep.

Also, creating a little routine leading up to bedtime could be helpful - like a mini ritual. Something like reading from a storybook, playing a calming game, perhaps some stretching or yoga, then lights out with some white noise or soothing music in the background. Kids crave routine, especially around bedtime, as it prepares their little bodies and minds for sleep.

Love the projection idea, will have to try that!

The smell senses are so important! I agree that having some sort of pre-bed routine is a great way to signal to your mind that sleep is approaching - especially with some relaxing aromas filling the room.

Setting the scene with a soothing aroma and some gentle stretching or yoga is a great recipe for helping the body relax. It's amazing how something so simple can have such a powerful impact on our sleep!

Let me know if you find any other tricks that work well - I'm always keen to learn about these things!

I'm a big fan of using essential oils and having a quick 10-minute meditation session before bed. I'll drop some lavender oil into my diffuser and go through a short guided meditation - it helps me tremendously in switching off and letting go of any lingering stresses from the day.

Sometimes, if I'm feeling particularly anxious or need a little extra comfort, I'll use a deep moisturizing cream with a soothing fragrance - the ritual of applying it mindfully seems to enhance the calming effect.

What are some of your favorite aromatic or sensory experiences that help signal to your body that bedtime is near?

That's a lovely routine you've got going on there!

I'm a big believer in creating sensory rituals - I find them incredibly grounding and a great way to transition into a peaceful evening. I like burning palo santo wood incense and letting the whole space get infused with its creamy, woody scent. It has such a calming effect and pairs amazingly well with lavender. Sometimes I'll even add some frankincense which has a rich, spicy aroma that feels like a warm embrace - definitely helps with relaxation!

I also love me some good old fashioned bubble baths with epsom salts. There's something so soothing about submerging yourself in hot water with soft bubbles and letting your muscles relax. And of course, a nice moisturizing session afterwards using coconut oil or shea butter; the tactile sensation is so indulgent and the scent is divine.

So these are my simple yet effective rituals that help me wind down. Would love to hear more about everyone's sensory experiences!

That's a lovely routine you've got going on there!

I'm a big believer in creating sensory rituals - I find them incredibly grounding and a great way to transition into a peaceful evening. I like burning palo santo wood incense and letting the whole space get infused with its creamy, woody scent. It has such a calming effect and pairs amazingly well with lavender. Sometimes I'll even add some frankincense which has a rich, spicy aroma that feels like a warm embrace - definitely helps with relaxation!

I also love me some good old fashioned bubble baths with epsom salts. There's something so soothing about submerging yourself in hot water with soft bubbles and letting your muscles relax. And of course, a nice moisturizing session afterwards using coconut oil or shea butter; the tactile sensation is so indulgent and the scent is divine.

So these are my simple yet effective rituals that help me wind down. Would love to hear more about everyone's sensory experiences!
Oh, I love the ideas of palo santo and frankincense! Their aromatic scents really set a calming mood and create such a cozy atmosphere.

I'm a huge fan of aromatherapy; it's amazing how certain scents can evoke feelings of comfort and relaxation. I usually go for chamomile or jasmine-scented products, especially for bedtime - they're so soothing and help me unwind mentally.

A nice hot bath is always a great way to end the day too. I find it helps relax my muscles and the whole experience is such a treat for the senses with the right essential oils. And yes, a good moisturizing session after is the cherry on top!

Do share more of your soothing rituals - they're such a wonderful way to care for yourself.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and mamamia
Aromatherapy is amazing; I'm glad you agree! Palo santo and frankincense are new ones for me, but I've been seeing chamomile and jasmine-scented products everywhere lately - definitely giving off cozy vibes.

I also love using minty or citrusy scents in the morning to feel refreshed and energized. A little pick-me-up before starting the day is so important! And a nice warm bath with some eucalyptus or menthol is such a great way to unwind and loosen up those muscles after a long day - it's like an at-home spa experience.

Self-care is so essential, and taking the time to pause and enjoy these little rituals is such a wonderful way to show yourself some love.

Aromatherapy is amazing; I'm glad you agree! Palo santo and frankincense are new ones for me, but I've been seeing chamomile and jasmine-scented products everywhere lately - definitely giving off cozy vibes.

I also love using minty or citrusy scents in the morning to feel refreshed and energized. A little pick-me-up before starting the day is so important! And a nice warm bath with some eucalyptus or menthol is such a great way to unwind and loosen up those muscles after a long day - it's like an at-home spa experience.

Self-care is so essential, and taking the time to pause and enjoy these little rituals is such a wonderful way to show yourself some love.
It's great that you also appreciate the rejuvenating qualities of fragrant scents!

For me, the menthol or eucalyptus fragrances are my go-to for an instant refresh. They seem to clear my head and have a cooling effect, which is so therapeutic after a sweaty day. And yes, it's amazing how a simple change of scent can lift your spirits and bring a sense of calm.

I find that getting some sunshine and breathing in the fresh outdoors also helps clear my mind and energies me too. Then, all these lovely fragrant treats feel even more indulgent when I return!

What about you? Any outdoor activities or fresh fragrances you like to treat yourself with?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu