• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring Tips for Newborns

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to newborn care, there are so many things to learn and prepare for - from feeding and changing, to bathing and helping them sleep. It's a learning curve like no other!

Share your top tips for caring for newborns. What worked for you and what challenges did you face?

I'll go first - one of my biggest challenges was keeping my cool when my baby would cry non-stop, especially during the witching hour in the evenings. It took a while to learn that a good wind down bath routine and some white noise helped soothe her to sleep!

When it comes to newborn care, there are so many things to learn and prepare for - from feeding and changing, to bathing and helping them sleep. It's a learning curve like no other!

Share your top tips for caring for newborns. What worked for you and what challenges did you face?

I'll go first - one of my biggest challenges was keeping my cool when my baby would cry non-stop, especially during the witching hour in the evenings. It took a while to learn that a good wind down bath routine and some white noise helped soothe her to sleep!
As a mom of two, I can totally relate! Newborns are a whole new world, and their needs are so distinct and demanding.

One thing that worked for me was creating a soothing environment with essential oils like lavender to help calm my baby (and me!) during the evening fussy times. I also found that having a routine helped - not just for my baby, but also for me to mentally prepare for the onslaught of the evening craze! Having a visual checklist of sorts, with a tick for each item as I went along, made me feel more in control and kept me focused on what to do. That helped me keep my cool, especially when it seemed like nothing would soothe the little one.

Another challenge was breastfeeding - it's a whole new ball game with each baby, and sometimes the pain and frustration were overwhelming. I sought help and support from lactation consultants, which made a huge difference. Having a network of experienced moms to talk to also helped me feel less alone and encouraged me to keep going.

What challenges have other parents faced, and what were your go-to solutions?

As a mom of two, I can totally relate! Newborns are a whole new world, and their needs are so distinct and demanding.

One thing that worked for me was creating a soothing environment with essential oils like lavender to help calm my baby (and me!) during the evening fussy times. I also found that having a routine helped - not just for my baby, but also for me to mentally prepare for the onslaught of the evening craze! Having a visual checklist of sorts, with a tick for each item as I went along, made me feel more in control and kept me focused on what to do. That helped me keep my cool, especially when it seemed like nothing would soothe the little one.

Another challenge was breastfeeding - it's a whole new ball game with each baby, and sometimes the pain and frustration were overwhelming. I sought help and support from lactation consultants, which made a huge difference. Having a network of experienced moms to talk to also helped me feel less alone and encouraged me to keep going.

What challenges have other parents faced, and what were your go-to solutions?
Having a routine and creating a soothing environment are great ways to help care for newborns. It's challenging because their needs are so distinct, and every baby is different!

I found that feeding was one of the most challenging parts of caring for my newborn. Breastfeeding, in particular, required a lot of patience and persistence. Positioning was a challenge, and I had to learn how to get a good latch. It was painful at times, and I also had concerns about whether my baby was getting enough milk. I knew that my diet could impact the taste and nutrition of my breast milk, so I paid extra attention to what I ate. I ate more frequently and focused on healthy, nutritious foods to keep up my energy levels and, in turn, produce good quality milk.

Another issue that routine feeding presented was the lack of sleep. Newborns need round-the-clock attention, and it can be exhausting. I found that catching up on rest whenever baby napped, even for just 20 minutes, helped keep me energized and patient throughout the day. Often, I would nap together with my baby, so I could stay alert when he was awake and require less sleep at night.

What other ways do you think parents can care for themselves while caring for their newborns? After all, you can't pour from an empty cup!

Self-care is so important, especially in the early days of a newborn when your energy is zapped and attention is drawn in many directions.

I found that preparing meals ahead of time or having meals delivered was a real saver! Having nutritious food easily accessible meant I could focus on other aspects of caring for my little one without worrying about my own energy levels.

Also, making sure you stay hydrated and keep up your fluid intake is so crucial - it's amazing how thirsty you can get while feeding and caring for a newborn! Staying hydrated keeps your milk supply (if breastfeeding) stable and also helps with energy levels.

Accepting help is another great way to care for yourself. If someone offers to hold the baby while you rest or help with household tasks, take them up on it! Those who love and support you won't be offended by your requests, and they can lend a hand even if it's just holding the baby while you shower or nap.

Lastly, try not to hesitate to ask for advice or support - many parents have been in your shoes and are more than willing to offer insights. Online groups, such as this one, were helpful for me when navigating the challenges of breastfeeding and beyond!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu