• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring Tips For New Parents

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A few tips for new parents:

1) Stock up on Diapers! Always seem to run out at the worst times, so keeping a good stockpile is never a bad idea!

2) Sleep when the baby sleeps. It's tough to do, but you'll thank yourself later.

3) Don't be afraid to ask for help - whether it's from family/friends or a professional. Many people are willing to lend a hand and some extra support can make a huge difference.

4) Keep a notepad and pen handy everywhere - great for jotting down notes like feed times, dirty diapers, sleep schedules, etc.

5) Don't stress over every little thing - remember that no one is the perfect parent, so try your best, stay calm and enjoy those special moments!

What else would you add to this list?

Some additional tips I'd recommend:

1) Keep a small emergency kit stocked with essentials like spare clothes, wipes, nappies, and cream for baby rashes. You never know when you might need them!

2) Have some easy-to-prepare meals frozen or ready to go in the pantry for those days when you're too tired to cook. Having nutritious food readily available is a huge help when you're exhausted and time poor.

3) Always change the baby's clothes, sheets, or blankets if there's any sign of moisture. It's a great way to avoid rashes and keep their skin healthy.

4) Invest in a good baby carrier or sling, which can be a godsend for hands-free parenting, especially when out and about or doing chores around the house. They're also fantastic for helping settle fussy babies.

5) Keep a list of essential contacts - your pediatrician, family members, close friends, and any support groups you might have. Save them in your phone, and have a physical copy somewhere handy too.

There's so much to learn when becoming a parent, but these tips will hopefully help make the transition a little easier!

Great suggestions! I'd add one more - keep a fully charged spare phone charger handy, preferably in that emergency kit! Those middle-of-the-night googling sessions can really drain your battery and you don't want to be caught without a working phone if you need help or advice urgently.

Great addition! A charged spare charger is a really thoughtful item to keep handy, especially with those nightly feeds and potential emergencies. It's also a good idea to ensure the emergency kit is well-stocked and easily accessible, so it can't be missed in a moment of panic!

Great addition! A charged spare charger is a really thoughtful item to keep handy, especially with those nightly feeds and potential emergencies. It's also a good idea to ensure the emergency kit is well-stocked and easily accessible, so it can't be missed in a moment of panic!
Having a dedicated and easily accessible parenting emergency kit sounds like a great idea! Some parents might benefit from having a list of essential items to include, especially the newer ones. It's also good to have some experienced parents chip in with any unusual but super helpful items they've found invaluable as well. You never know what situations might arise!

Having a dedicated and easily accessible parenting emergency kit sounds like a great idea! Some parents might benefit from having a list of essential items to include, especially the newer ones. It's also good to have some experienced parents chip in with any unusual but super helpful items they've found invaluable as well. You never know what situations might arise!
New parents, make sure you prepare and stock up on your parenting emergency kit! Apart from the usuals like band-aids and medicine, I'd recommend throwing in some instant formula milk (even if you're breastfed baby - just in case!), Muslin cloth, and my personal lifesaver - a portable white noise machine! Oh, and an extra shirt for you - you'll never know when a vomiting session will happen! ;)What other unusual items have worked well for you?

Good call on the portable white noise machine, it's like the secret weapon against sudden loud cries in the middle of the night! I'd also recommend a pack of wet wipes - these can come in handy for quick clean ups and are a must-have when you're out and about. Another unconventional item that worked wonders for me was keeping a small vacuum cleaner nearby. It's amazing how far toddler food can travel sometimes, and it saved me from doing daily deep cleans!

Some parents might already have this next one on their list, but I've found having a baby carrier to be an absolute God-send - especially when you need hands-free to tend to older kids or run errands. It's also a great way to keep the little one calm and cozy, especially if they enjoy being close to you.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Those are some really practical tips!

The baby carrier is a lifesaver, and I'd also recommend investing in a comfortable and ergonomic one, especially if you plan on being out and about for long periods. It's amazing how it can soothe a fussy baby too - there's something about being close to mom or dad that's comforting!

Having a small handheld vacuum cleaner is a fantastic idea - I haven't thought of that, but it would've helped so much with the constant crumbs and mess! And I completely agree on the white noise machine - it's a great way to create a soothing environment for babies .

odePhiltedLobsterChair-2048px-2x1-1.jpg

A good baby carrier is a must-have! And it's an excellent suggestion to go for an ergonomic design - parents' backs are often forgotten when we think of baby essentials, but they're so important!

The right gear can really make all the difference and keep parenthood that bit more sane haha. Anything that helps keep the chaos at bay is a win!

A good baby carrier is a must-have! And it's an excellent suggestion to go for an ergonomic design - parents' backs are often forgotten when we think of baby essentials, but they're so important!

The right gear can really make all the difference and keep parenthood that bit more sane haha. Anything that helps keep the chaos at bay is a win!
Ya, a good carrier makes a huge difference in comfort and convenience - parents need all the support they can get! An ergonomic design is a thoughtful choice, got to care for our own backs too!

Babywearing allows parents to have hands-free moments while bonding with their little ones. It's really a win-win situation!

I second the recommendation for an ergonomic baby carrier! The strain on our backs then stays minimized with the weight distributed evenly across the body. It's a godsend for parents who need to carry their little ones for extended periods or when running errands. It definitely helps us function at our best while keeping up with the little monsters.

Absolutely! Baby carriers are a lifesaver and definitely make parenting more manageable, especially for those endless days when you have to juggle multiple tasks and keep your little one close. The ergonomic design ensures comfort and convenience without compromising on style too! Would love to hear other carrier recommendations too as we parents need all the help we can get!

Ergobaby is a good option to look into - it's comfortable and easy to use, with multiple carrying positions and good weight distribution. Some also have built-in hoods for extra protection! I found it useful to have a carrier that grew with the baby too - some of them are designed for newborns right through to toddlers which means you don't need to keep buying bigger sizes as they grow. It's definitely a worthy investment!

This is such helpful advice - thank you! Comfort and ease of use are high on my priority list, and the built-in hoods sound like a great feature too. I'm also interested in carriers that can adapt to their growth - it's great to hear that Ergobaby has options that can serve us for years. I'm all ears for any tips about products that make life easier as new parents!

This is such helpful advice - thank you! Comfort and ease of use are high on my priority list, and the built-in hoods sound like a great feature too. I'm also interested in carriers that can adapt to their growth - it's great to hear that Ergobaby has options that can serve us for years. I'm all ears for any tips about products that make life easier as new parents!
The Ergobaby Embrace carrier also has a newer Ventus version with a breathable 3D mesh fabric that keeps you cool - perfect for Singapore's weather! It is also designed to grow with your little one. One less worry about having to buy another carrier as your babe grows!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and luciana
The Ergobaby Embrace carrier also has a newer Ventus version with a breathable 3D mesh fabric that keeps you cool - perfect for Singapore's weather! It is also designed to grow with your little one. One less worry about having to buy another carrier as your babe grows!
It's never easy keeping up with the latest baby gear. The Ventus sounds like it's worth a try, especially with Singapore's hot and humid weather. Might be uncomfortable otherwise lugging around a sweating baby!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu