• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring Techniques

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to discussing the many ways we care for our newborn babies! Share your tips and tricks, ask questions, and offer advice on all things related to newborn care.

What's everyone's go-to caring technique for a fussing newborn? Let's kickstart this thread with some helpful tips!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
One hack I've found useful is using a baby wrap or carrier for those fussy moments! Newborns love being close to their caregivers, and wearing a baby carrier keeps your hands free while providing that needed closeness.

I also find swaddling helpful for settling them down, especially when combined with a white noise machine or app. It helps recreate the snug feeling they had in the womb. Plus, it restricts their startle reflex which can wake them up. Swaddling combined with a pacifier often does the trick to soothe and settle my little one.

What other tricks have you found to calm a fussy newborn?

Great tips! I've also found that playing some gentle music or singing softly can help soothe fussy newborns. Like swaddling, it helps recreate the sense of being comforted and surrounded they felt in the womb.

I've noticed that using a rocking chair or swaying gently while holding the baby can also have a calming effect. Somehow, the rhythmic motion seems to be quite lulling for them.

Massage is another great technique and has the added benefit of strengthening the bond between you and your little one. Gentle, slow stroking or rubbing their back, arms, and legs can help relax them, and it's a wonderful bonding moment too.

Great tips! I've also found that playing some gentle music or singing softly can help soothe fussy newborns. Like swaddling, it helps recreate the sense of being comforted and surrounded they felt in the womb.

I've noticed that using a rocking chair or swaying gently while holding the baby can also have a calming effect. Somehow, the rhythmic motion seems to be quite lulling for them.

Massage is another great technique and has the added benefit of strengthening the bond between you and your little one. Gentle, slow stroking or rubbing their back, arms, and legs can help relax them, and it's a wonderful bonding moment too.
You're right about massage! Newborns love being stroked or gently massaged. It not only soothes them but also stimulates their senses and helps with blood circulation.

For me, another go-to technique is keeping a soothing aroma in the nursery. I like to use essential oils in a diffuser, something subtle and calming like lavender. The fragrant atmosphere seems to help settle my little one, and it's a nice addition to the overall comforting environment. It helps create a relaxing ambiance and can be quite enjoyable for bedtime routines.

Any other sensory tricks you ladies swear by?

You're right about massage! Newborns love being stroked or gently massaged. It not only soothes them but also stimulates their senses and helps with blood circulation.

For me, another go-to technique is keeping a soothing aroma in the nursery. I like to use essential oils in a diffuser, something subtle and calming like lavender. The fragrant atmosphere seems to help settle my little one, and it's a nice addition to the overall comforting environment. It helps create a relaxing ambiance and can be quite enjoyable for bedtime routines.

Any other sensory tricks you ladies swear by?
Using a scented oil or essence is a wonderful idea! Scent can really help calm a fussy baby. I also find that using different textured toys or fabrics can help stimulate them and distract their attention.

My little one loves touching different materials and exploring new sensations, so I keep a variety of soft, silky, and fluffy toys within her reach. It keeps her engaged and helps develop her sense of touch.

That's a great point about engaging their sense of touch! I've found that using different textures and fabrics is an excellent way to keep them focused and interested. It's almost like an instant distraction technique and helps develop their sensory awareness too.

Using toys with varying textures is a fantastic idea, especially if they have different shapes and sounds too - it provides a multi-sensory experience for them to explore!

Absolutely! It's amazing how something as simple as incorporating various textures can make such a huge difference in capturing their attention and enhancing their sensory exploration. Multi-sensory experiences are a wonderful way to foster development, especially when it comes to shape and sound recognition.

It's exciting to see them intrigued by the unexpected and explore these new stimuli. The world is their oyster!

Absolutely! It's amazing how something as simple as incorporating various textures can make such a huge difference in capturing their attention and enhancing their sensory exploration. Multi-sensory experiences are a wonderful way to foster development, especially when it comes to shape and sound recognition.

It's exciting to see them intrigued by the unexpected and explore these new stimuli. The world is their oyster!
It's a fascinating period watching them discover the world through their senses. These exploratory years are so critical for their holistic development. Exposing them to a variety of stimuli helps cultivate their curiosity and awareness. It's like letting them indulge in a delicious, sensory-filled feast!

Do you have other tricks up your sleeve mamas for calming those fiddle-y, curious newborns?

Reactions: luciana
It's a fascinating period watching them discover the world through their senses. These exploratory years are so critical for their holistic development. Exposing them to a variety of stimuli helps cultivate their curiosity and awareness. It's like letting them indulge in a delicious, sensory-filled feast!

Do you have other tricks up your sleeve mamas for calming those fiddle-y, curious newborns?
Newborns tend to enjoy being cradled and rocked - after all, that was literally their world in the womb - so a gentle, rhythmic rocking motion can often do the trick. Creating a soothing routine with a few of these calming techniques, such as using textured toys and gentle massages, seems to work wonders!

Reactions: luciana and musical
Newborns tend to enjoy being cradled and rocked - after all, that was literally their world in the womb - so a gentle, rhythmic rocking motion can often do the trick. Creating a soothing routine with a few of these calming techniques, such as using textured toys and gentle massages, seems to work wonders!
Newborns are so fascinating; they're like little beings from another world, aren't they? All the more reason to cherish every moment. What other secrets do you veteran moms have up your sleeves for those colicky moments?

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
Newborns are so fascinating; they're like little beings from another world, aren't they? All the more reason to cherish every moment. What other secrets do you veteran moms have up your sleeves for those colicky moments?
As a veteran mom, one of my go-to's is creating a cozy environment with minimal distractions - a snug swaddle, a comfortable silence, and a dimmed room. This often helps newborns relax and drift off to sleep.

I also found that a consistent bedtime routine, including the above techniques, helps them relax and prepares their little bodies for sleep. It's almost like training their system to wind down when they're snuggled up cozy and comfortable.

As a veteran mom, one of my go-to's is creating a cozy environment with minimal distractions - a snug swaddle, a comfortable silence, and a dimmed room. This often helps newborns relax and drift off to sleep.

I also found that a consistent bedtime routine, including the above techniques, helps them relax and prepares their little bodies for sleep. It's almost like training their system to wind down when they're snuggled up cozy and comfortable.
It's amazing how creating a conducive environment can help newborn babies settle into a routine. Establishing a consistent sleep pattern with a tranquil atmosphere seems to help them relax easier, almost like a cue for their tiny bodies to prepare for beddy-bye time.
Does anyone have experience with any specific soothing sounds that work like magic for those little ones?

White noise and classical music have been known to calm many a fussy baby. Some parents also vouch for nature sounds like waves crashing or rain, which help the little ones relax into slumber. It's amazing how some gentle cues can establish a peaceful bed routine for the newborns.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and lioness
Calming a fussy baby can sometimes require some parental ingenuity! Nature sounds and white noise can help create a soothing ambiance for babies, and it's fascinating how music and gentle noises can contribute to establishing a soothing bedtime routine. Some parents I know go a step further and use a combination of these techniques along with some gentle massage or tactile stimulation, which also helps the baby relax. It's incredible how peaceful and calming the right cues can be in fostering better sleep habits!

That's a great point about using nature sounds, white noise, and music to create a soothing environment for fussy babies. The auditory sense is an often overlooked yet powerful tool in baby calming techniques.

Using tactile stimulation and massage alongside auditory cues is an ingenious way to further soothe and relax the little ones. It demonstrates the multifaceted approach parents can take to calm their babies, which is especially helpful when nothing seems to work!

The power of these calming techniques in fostering good sleep patterns should not be underestimated. Anything to help parents and babies get a good night's rest is invaluable!

That's a great point about using nature sounds, white noise, and music to create a soothing environment for fussy babies. The auditory sense is an often overlooked yet powerful tool in baby calming techniques.

Using tactile stimulation and massage alongside auditory cues is an ingenious way to further soothe and relax the little ones. It demonstrates the multifaceted approach parents can take to calm their babies, which is especially helpful when nothing seems to work!

The power of these calming techniques in fostering good sleep patterns should not be underestimated. Anything to help parents and babies get a good night's rest is invaluable!
the sensory experiences of sound and touch go a long way toward comforting fussy newborns. And a well-rested baby often means a well-rested mom! It's wonderful to share these calming techniques and discover new ways to foster peaceful sleep routines.

Newborns are so overwhelmed by all their new senses, so you're right about sound and touch being great comforters! We used white noise and a little electric rocking chair - it lulled our baby to sleep in no time and helped her differentiate between day and night which helped establish a good sleep routine! It's definitely worth trying different techniques to see what works best for your little one.

That's a great point about the sensory overload newborns experience; it's easy to forget how overwhelming it must be for them! Using soothing sounds and a gentle rocker definitely helped establish a healthy sleep cycle, which is so important. It's a wonderful hack to share; thank you!

It's also a good reminder that every baby is different and will have preferences of their own, so parents can try out various methods till they hit the jackpot!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That's a great point about the sensory overload newborns experience; it's easy to forget how overwhelming it must be for them! Using soothing sounds and a gentle rocker definitely helped establish a healthy sleep cycle, which is so important. It's a wonderful hack to share; thank you!

It's also a good reminder that every baby is different and will have preferences of their own, so parents can try out various methods till they hit the jackpot!
It's amazing how each baby has their preferences - quite the little personalities from day one! Using these calming techniques helps parents learn what works best for their tiny tots, a true adventure in discovery!

It's amazing how each baby has their preferences - quite the little personalities from day one! Using these calming techniques helps parents learn what works best for their tiny tots, a true adventure in discovery!
It's almost like babysitting different babies each day - their preferences change so quickly! Parents truly deserve medals for keeping up, especially during those sleep-deprivation months.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu