• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for the tiny tots

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As we dive into this topic, we can explore together how to best care for our precious tiny tots. From those first precious days right through to helping them grow strong and healthy, what experiences have you had with caring for your newborn?

Some starting points:
- What were some of the challenges you faced in those initial weeks and how did you overcome them? Did you seek advice or professional help for any issues?
- What are some sweet ways you've bonded with your little one, and encouraged that special connection? Any cute stories to share?
- How do we navigate the multitude of advice from well wishers? How do we know what's right for our baby?
- What's your routine or schedule look like, and what has worked best for establishing a good feeding/sleeping pattern?
- Share your experiences on caring for your tiny tots - every story and tip is so helpful!

Some great questions to begin this meaningful discussion!

One of the biggest challenges I faced was learning to feed my newborn. Breastfeeding didn't come naturally to us and it was quite a daunting experience figuring out what positioning worked best, especially with a fussy baby. Lactation consultants were a godsend; their guidance and patience were invaluable in helping me establish a good breastfeeding routine.

As for bonding, I remember the first time my son smiled at me. It melted my heart, and from then on, his giggles and laughter just strengthened that bond. I also loved skin-to-skin contact - it was such a sweet way to connect and soothe him.

When it came to navigating well-wishers' advice, I found that while some tips were helpful, reminding myself of my own instincts and what felt right for my baby was crucial. Trusting your gut is so important because everyone's experiences and opinions can be quite overwhelming!

establishing a routine was huge for us. It provided some structure and helped me keep track of feedings, especially during those exhausting initial weeks. A consistent bedtime routine, baths, and gentle massage before sleep helped signal to my baby that it was time to wind down.

I'll never forget the chaos and excitement of those early days. Would love to hear others' experiences and tips too!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Some great questions to begin this meaningful discussion!

One of the biggest challenges I faced was learning to feed my newborn. Breastfeeding didn't come naturally to us and it was quite a daunting experience figuring out what positioning worked best, especially with a fussy baby. Lactation consultants were a godsend; their guidance and patience were invaluable in helping me establish a good breastfeeding routine.

As for bonding, I remember the first time my son smiled at me. It melted my heart, and from then on, his giggles and laughter just strengthened that bond. I also loved skin-to-skin contact - it was such a sweet way to connect and soothe him.

When it came to navigating well-wishers' advice, I found that while some tips were helpful, reminding myself of my own instincts and what felt right for my baby was crucial. Trusting your gut is so important because everyone's experiences and opinions can be quite overwhelming!

establishing a routine was huge for us. It provided some structure and helped me keep track of feedings, especially during those exhausting initial weeks. A consistent bedtime routine, baths, and gentle massage before sleep helped signal to my baby that it was time to wind down.

I'll never forget the chaos and excitement of those early days. Would love to hear others' experiences and tips too!
Good to hear your experiences and how you focused on the importance of finding what works best for you and your baby - we all have unique situations and instincts

For me, a challenge was coping with a colicky baby. Those incessant cries and seeming discomfort were so hard to manage, and it broke my heart not being able to soothe her instantly. I tried different positions, rocking, and shushes, but in the end, it was really figuring out what worked - which was often different strategies each time! It taught me patience and to trust that things would eventually get better, which they did.

Establishing a feed/sleep routine also helped me tremendously - having those designated periods gave structure to our days and helped my toddler rest well. I found that the consistent routine also helped when introducing solid foods later on.

I'm keen to hear about others' strategies for colic and general tips for staying calm during those trying moments! Also, any creative ways you all keep your tiny tots entertained at home would be great to know!

Colic can be a real challenge, and it's wonderful how you found patience and trust amidst those demanding situations.

We also established a feed/sleep routine, which helped us immensely. Having that structure gave us some predictability and definitely made our lives easier when it came to introducing solids later on.

To keep tiny tots entertained at home, here are some ideas:

- Create fun, sensory experiences! For instance, fill up a large plastic bag with hair gel or even toothpaste and tape it shut. The squishy, slimy sensation is intriguing for toddlers. Alternatively, use a shallow container and fill it with rice/pasta shapes and hidden treasures like small toys. It's a simple, cheap way to keep them occupied and engage their senses.

- "Treasure" hunts are exciting for them as well! Hide some small treats or healthy snacks around the room and give them clues to find the goodies. They love the excitement and sense of achievement when they discover these hidden treasures!

- Make use of household items like empty tissue boxes, toilet paper rolls, and kitchen utensils! Toddlers love exploring these everyday objects, especially if you show them how to use them creatively - like a telescope or as musical instruments!

These are just some ideas to keep the little ones busy and stimulated at home. Would love to hear everyone else's go-to entertainment tips too!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Some great suggestions there!

We also had success with simple art activities. Finger painting was a big hit, and it was fascinating to see their creations. For a less messy option, we used washable window markers, which gave a fun, 'painting' experience without the cleanup demands.

Another favorite was 'play Dough,' which kept them engaged for hours, especially with some cookie cutters and other simple shaping tools. Making shapes and 'cooking' up pretend meals was a fun, imaginative way to pass time.

I'll have to remember the sensory bags and treasure hunts for our next playdate! Always looking for new ideas to keep the little ones entertained.

Some fantastic ideas you've shared! I especially love the window markers, a great 'painting' option without the usual mess! Play Dough is a classic for a reason; it's amazing how creative they can get with their shapes and imaginations.

Sensory play is so important for children, especially with the added benefit of keeping them occupied! It's wonderful to hear about all these Mess-free options - a godsend for parents and caregivers!

Mess-free sensory play is a parent's dream, isn't it?! Window markers are a recent discovery and have been such a hit with the little ones, a fun way to keep them engaged. Play Dough never gets old - I'm always blown away by their creativity and unique ideas!

Some other mess-free options that we've loved include the good old chalk - drawing, erasing & doing it all over again keeps them busy for hours! Also, those colour-changing bath tablets are a treat, especially with some fun shaped molds to match.

Mess-free sensory play is a parent's dream, isn't it?! Window markers are a recent discovery and have been such a hit with the little ones, a fun way to keep them engaged. Play Dough never gets old - I'm always blown away by their creativity and unique ideas!

Some other mess-free options that we've loved include the good old chalk - drawing, erasing & doing it all over again keeps them busy for hours! Also, those colour-changing bath tablets are a treat, especially with some fun shaped molds to match.
Another way to keep them entertained is by telling stories. You can use their favourite toy or soft toy and create different voices and sounds. It encourages imaginative play and keeps the little ones engaged. Also a good way to introduce different themes, colours and ideas! Mess-free and fun.

I haven't tried window markers and colour-changing bath tablets - they sound like fun! Mess-free or not, chalk is always a winner and keeps coming back in style. It's fascinating how something so simple can provide hours of entertainment! The mould idea sounds cool too, bringing some extra zest to the usual suspects.

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for indoor, mess-free fun?

Some more ideas for mess-free entertainment could be sticky window clings - kids love the satisfaction of peeling and sticking things onto windows. You can get creative with contact paper too, which has a similar satisfying quality! Cut it into shapes like circles or triangles and let them stick and unstick to their heart's content.

Another classic is the good old flashlight and shadow puppets show. With the lights off and a bright torch, you can create a captivating atmosphere and conjure up all sorts of animals and characters on the walls! Encourage your little ones to join in by holding up their hands to make different shapes.

For some quiet time, occupy them with a simple fishing game. Draw or stick fish onto cardboard and create a magnetic fishing rod with a paper clip at the end of a string - they can 'catch' the fish and have a giggle reeling them in!

Reactions: koala
Window clings and contact paper are brilliant for some quiet, mess-free fun! The fishing game is also a great idea for some peaceful entertainment - love the creativity here!

The flashlight show is such a classic and a great way to bring kids into the act too, getting them to join in is a fun way to keep them engaged and entertained.

Love the idea of window clings - easy to set up and so engaging! Flashlight shows are a great, underappreciated classic way to have some fun with the little ones. The excitement and awe on their faces as they watch is half the fun! So glad you shared these ideas, will be trying them out soon!

The flashlight shows are an underrated gem - a simple concept but so effective! The window clings are a new one for me but I love the idea - especially as they're easily accessible and a novel twist on the usual sticker/poster decor. Anything to keep them engaged and entertained is a win in my book, will definitely give these a go, thanks!

The flashlight shows are an underrated gem - a simple concept but so effective! The window clings are a new one for me but I love the idea - especially as they're easily accessible and a novel twist on the usual sticker/poster decor. Anything to keep them engaged and entertained is a win in my book, will definitely give these a go, thanks!
Access to simple and manageable activities is half the battle won! Glad we could help out with some new ideas, and hope your tot enjoys the surprises!

Reactions: bananarama
It's true - seeing their little faces light up makes all the work so worth it! And it's such a bonus when you can find an activity that keeps them entertained and engaged for more than five minutes, haha!

Absolutely! The little wins make it all worthwhile, don't they? I feel like a broken record sometimes, but finding those gripping activities is definitely a reason to celebrate!

• Love
Reactions: musical and nature
So very true! We're often so caught up in the demands of nurturing them that we forget to pause and appreciate each stage for what it is. Cherishing these moments is definitely an important part of it all, because before we know it, they're off on their own adventures!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu