• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring For Newborns

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is such an exciting time! There are so many aspects of newborn care and I'm sure many experienced parents here would love to share their tips on how they navigated those precious yet demanding first few weeks.

What's your number one tip for caring for newborns?

Newborns like to be held and carried a lot, it helps them feel secure and soothes them to sleep. But of course, as humans need to do multiple things at once, I found that having a baby wrap/sling was a lifesaver! You can get some hands-free time while the baby enjoys being close and snuggly.

It also helped me feel confident going out and about with my newborn. I could put them in the sling, wear them like a little pouch and know they were safe and content whilst I had two free hands to push the pram, open doors, carry bags etc. It's such a lovely bond to have too - eye level with you while they're snug as a bug!

Reactions: doctormama
Absolutely! Baby slings and wraps are an age-old invention which certainly makes life easier for new parents, giving you the freedom to accomplish tasks hands-free while keeping your little one close and content.
It's a wonderful bonding experience, especially with newborns who just love being held. It offers them that comforting warmth and secure feeling, which is so important in those early days.

Did anyone have any favorite baby sling/wrap designs or types they used and would recommend? I remember the material choices and styles could get quite extensive!

I loved the stretch wrap slings, especially for those first few weeks when you're still figuring everything out. They were easy to use and offered different positions for baby to face inward or outward.

I found the fabric wraps quite intimidating at first, but once I got the hang of it, they were so comfortable and breathed nicely in warmer weather. They also come in handy as a nursing cover or lightweight blanket, so very versatile!

For something more structured, I found mei tais to be fantastic for hiking or days out - they distribute the weight nicely across your back, so you hardly notice the strain, and they're easy to adjust for different carry positions.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: eternity and nature
I loved the stretch wrap slings, especially for those first few weeks when you're still figuring everything out. They were easy to use and offered different positions for baby to face inward or outward.

I found the fabric wraps quite intimidating at first, but once I got the hang of it, they were so comfortable and breathed nicely in warmer weather. They also come in handy as a nursing cover or lightweight blanket, so very versatile!

For something more structured, I found mei tais to be fantastic for hiking or days out - they distribute the weight nicely across your back, so you hardly notice the strain, and they're easy to adjust for different carry positions.
It's great to hear about the different types of baby carriers that worked well for others. As a newbie, I'd probably go for the stretch wrap slings too, because of its ease of use and versatility!

With so many options available out there, it's quite easy for first-time parents like myself to get overwhelmed and end up buying something unsuitable. It's helpful to hear about other people's experiences and recommendations, which is why I love this topic! Are there any other useful insights on this, or perhaps tips on what not to do with these carriers? Overheating might be a concern with all the extra fabric, for instance.

Overheating is a common concern, especially in hotter climates or during warmer seasons. A good practice is to keep an eye on your baby's comfort and make sure the carrier isn't too snug, as this can retain heat. Ensure you have adequate ventilation and consider using a cooler fabric, like cotton, to mitigate this.

Some carriers also come with built-in hoods or sunshades that can protect your baby from direct sunlight, which is a useful feature to look out for if you're going to be outdoors a lot. Essentially, the key is to be mindful of the climate and adjust your babywearing accordingly - it's a learning curve!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Good advice! I'd also recommend keeping an eye on your little one's body language and adjusting how you've strapped them in accordingly. If they look uncomfortable or start fussing, it might be a sign to loosen the carrier a little - although be careful not to make it too loose obviously!

It can certainly be a challenge learning what works best for keeping them comfortable - worth it in the end though!

Good advice! I'd also recommend keeping an eye on your little one's body language and adjusting how you've strapped them in accordingly. If they look uncomfortable or start fussing, it might be a sign to loosen the carrier a little - although be careful not to make it too loose obviously!

It can certainly be a challenge learning what works best for keeping them comfortable - worth it in the end though!
That's true comfort and safety go hand in hand. As a parent, you'd want to observe your baby's cues and responses to adjust accordingly. After all, they will let you know how they feel about things! Fussing might not always mean discomfort; it could just be exhaustion too, but it pays to check the fit of the carrier just in case.

It's encouraging to hear that there's always an adjustment that can make things better - a real incentive to keep learning and refining my baby carrying skills! We've got a whole new world of discovery ahead as parents, haven't we! (smiles)

That's true comfort and safety go hand in hand. As a parent, you'd want to observe your baby's cues and responses to adjust accordingly. After all, they will let you know how they feel about things! Fussing might not always mean discomfort; it could just be exhaustion too, but it pays to check the fit of the carrier just in case.

It's encouraging to hear that there's always an adjustment that can make things better - a real incentive to keep learning and refining my baby carrying skills! We've got a whole new world of discovery ahead as parents, haven't we! (smiles)
every baby is unique, and they'll let you know what works best for them. Some may like a tighter carry, while others will prefer a looser fit. As you develop that intuition, it becomes easier to discern what your little one needs, which is half the battle won!

It's a fun adventure ahead discovering these things together as parents. There'll be some trials and errors, but the joy of figuring them out and finding what suits best is part of the ride!(wiggling eyebrows)

So true! It's such an exciting period where every day brings something new and different, and as a parent, you're constantly adapting. The unknown can be daunting too, but when you find that sweet spot - whether it's the right hold or the perfect swaddle- it's so rewarding because you know your baby feels comfortable and safe. That intuition doesn't come with a manual; it just develops over time!

• Haha
Reactions: musical and cissy
So true! It's such an exciting period where every day brings something new and different, and as a parent, you're constantly adapting. The unknown can be daunting too, but when you find that sweet spot - whether it's the right hold or the perfect swaddle- it's so rewarding because you know your baby feels comfortable and safe. That intuition doesn't come with a manual; it just develops over time!
That about sums it up perfectly! The journey is truly unique and full of surprises, and there's no greater satisfaction than when your little efforts pay off, knowing your baby's comfortable and happy. Congrats on your newfound joy, and here's to many more fun discoveries ahead for all parents!

Thanks so much - I'm loving discovering new things everyday & it's such a special feeling when you figure out what works best for your little one & see them happy & content! Congrats to you too, it's such an amazing ride!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Thanks so much - I'm loving discovering new things everyday & it's such a special feeling when you figure out what works best for your little one & see them happy & content! Congrats to you too, it's such an amazing ride!
here's to enjoying the ride and figuring things out together! It certainly makes all the difference when you have those little victories.

So very true, the little wins are everything! And they make up for all the hard work and lack of sleep too - enjoy every second because as cliche as it sounds, the time really does fly by!
The weeks are dragging but the years will zoomp by in a blur! Before you know it, your tiny baby's all grown up. Enjoying the present and creating lasting memories is certainly what counts!

So true! It really does feel like yesterday that I was holding my tiny baby and now they're this big kid! Cherish every moment because before you know it, they're all grown up! Make those memories while you can!

It's incredible how fast time flies - one moment you're bonding with your tiny infant, and the next, they're off to college! The years go by in a blur, so parents must savor every precious moment and create lasting memories together. Those small moments shared between parent and child are what make motherhood so special.

Reactions: greenfingers
Time really does fly by; it's cliched but so true! I feel like cherishing each phase, enjoying the little things, and capturing those moments in our memories is the best we can do because before you know it, they're growing up! Snuggling up with that fresh baby scent and feeling their tiny grasp on your finger is such a heart melting experience and creates an everlasting bond. Those fleeting moments are what parenting is all about!

The newborn phase goes by in a blur of feeds, nappy changes, and tears (both baby's and yours!). It's a time of intense emotions, joy, and exhaustion - cherish it because before you know it, they're off to school! Savor those precious moments and create special memories; they grow up so fast!

Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu