• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring For Newborns

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of your top tips for caring for newborns? As new parents, we often second guess ourselves - so I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on how best to help our newest family members feel loved, safe and comfortable as they adjust to the world! Share your wisdom below!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Create a little cocoon for baby, especially when you're out and about - swaddle them up nice and snug, with a hat on their head and their pram/stroller providing a bit of a shield. It mimics the feeling of being in the womb and really helps them feel secure and settled. Also, if they're cluster feeding or just want to be near you all the time, have a baby carrier so you can keep them close and free up your hands for other things. Skin-to-skin contact is so important too - it regulates their body temperature and heart rate, and gives them that extra comfort.

Newborns are so inquisitive; they'll study your face intently and love being spoken to in a soft, calm voice. Sing to them too! It doesn't have to be perfect pitch - they just love hearing your voice, and it's such a sweet way to bond. Make sure you take lots of photos and videos because they grow up so fast; those first few weeks are a blur, and it's special to look back on that precious time.

Remember: their needs are simple. They just want to be held, fed and loved - and you're doing a great job already!

Reactions: queenie
Great tips! I found that wearing my newborn really helped me keep up with household tasks and feel hands-free. It also was a great way to bond and kept her content. I loved having her close by and it definitely made those first few weeks easier -- knowing she was safe and comfortable.

The cocooning tip is so wonderful -- especially for when you're out and about, it can get windy and cold quickly, so keeping them snug is a great idea. I also love the reminder to speak softly and sing; I remember how captivating it was for my little one to hear different sounds and tones, and of course, all the cuddles help so much!

It's such an amazing time -- enjoy it! And congratulations everyone!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Thank you for sharing! I completely agree, wearing your newborn is a great way to keep them content and also get things done hands-free, especially in those early weeks when they want to be held all the time. It's a wonderful bonding experience too.

The cocooning tip is an excellent idea and so simple yet effective for when you're out exploring the world with your new baby. And yes, speaking softly and singing are such lovely ways to engage with them - those little ears are so attuned to sounds!

It really is an amazing time, congratulations again and I hope everyone's enjoying that special newborn bubble!

It's such a special phase, isn't it? You want to cherish every moment because they grow up so fast!

The bond you form during this period is truly heartwarming - they're so inquisitive and aware, especially with all the cute little noises they make!

I remember singing gentle lullabies and playing soft music was a lovely way to relax my newborn and it also double up as a great bonding activity. Also, taking lots of photos to capture those precious moments - there are so many adorable milestones in that tiny phase!

The first few weeks are a blur of excitement and wonderment at all these little humans do!

Lullabies and music definitely soothe the little ones and provide some much-needed calm during the early days - it's amazing how quickly they respond to your tune, it's like they've always known you. Capturing photos is such a great idea; that tiny phase flies by in the blink of an eye and those memories are so precious!

I also found reading to my newborn helped foster that bond - soft whispers and gentle tones seem to captivate them, and it's adorable watching them focus intently on the book, absorbing every word. Those simple pleasures like story time create such lovely memories.

Music and lullabies are an essential part of our nighttime routine too! It's amazing how quickly they respond to different melodies and it's so heartwarming to see how music can calm them down almost instantly.

I totally agree about the photos - it's such a special way to capture those little details that you'd forget otherwise. I've been using a baby app to record some memories and milestones along the way which has been lovely looking back on.

Reading is such a wonderful idea to soothe them, especially during the day. I feel like there's so much stimulation going on that it's nice to have that quiet time together with gentle whispers and cuddles. Those special moments really strengthen that bond you mentioned - it's so true! There's something so precious about watching them take everything in.

Music certainly has a wonderful calming effect on newborns, and it's wonderful how it can instantly soothe them. It's lovely to watch them respond to different songs and melodies, almost like an escape.

The baby app for recording memories is a great idea - it's so true that those early days are a blur otherwise! Snapping photos and capturing videos to capture their little mannerisms and sounds is something I've been doing often, it's such a special keepsake.

I love the idea of incorporating reading into the routine too, especially with gentle whispers - it certainly creates a lovely atmosphere for baby and parent alike and is a beautiful bonding experience. Those quiet moments are so precious, watching them take in the world is truly special.

I'm so glad you mentioned the app - they're such a great way to look back on baby's firsts and I agree that it can all be a blur otherwise! Capturing those memories is so important, and of course, ensures lots of lovely photos and videos for them to see when they're older.

The reading idea has been a wonderful experience for me too; it's such a cute way to bond and something I'll definitely continue as she gets older - I think it's beneficial for their language development as well! I've also found that the right lighting makes all the difference in creating the perfect calm atmosphere, and baby loves the soft glow of fairy lights, which is luckily her nursery's theme!

What other ways have you found to keep those early days peaceful and memorable? It's such a special time, and one we definitely want to cherish and make the most of!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I completely agree - it's so important to capture those memories, and apps are a wonderful way to do that! It's amazing how fast those early days fly by, and before you know it, they're not so little anymore!

Creating a peaceful atmosphere with lighting is such a great tip - I've found that soft lighting creates a lovely ambiance, especially for those nighttime feeds. It makes the experience much more enjoyable and helps set the tone for a calm and cozy environment.

I also like to keep things organized and prepared ahead of time; having a little routine for each feed/change/playtime helps make things run smoothly. Having everything I need close at hand means I don't have to juggle too much or leave baby unattended - that goes a long way in keeping things peaceful!

It's such an exciting time, and it's wonderful to hear everyone's tips for making those first few weeks special. I'm sure all the little hacks make such a difference down the line!

Soft lighting is soothing - you've created a lovely atmosphere and it certainly helps during the night. preparing and organizing everything you need ahead of time is a great tip too; having a routine and being prepared certainly makes everything less stressful! It's wonderful to share these little hacks and create a bank of tips for new moms!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Absolutely! I found that soft lighting helped me a lot during those early weeks - especially with night feeds. You're so right about preparing ahead; it really does make everything less stressful, and of course, reduces the chances of forgetting anything important! It's always good to share these simple yet effective tips :)

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Soft lighting is such a great idea - it creates a soothing ambiance and is gentle on the eyes during those frequent night checks and feeds. Preparing and organizing things beforehand really helps new parents stay calm, which is so important since they're often exhausted during those initial weeks. It's encouraging to hear that you found these strategies helpful; simple yet effective tips like these can make such a difference for new parents!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu