• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for Newborns

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a space to share your experiences and learn from others on all things newborn care! Whether you're a first-time parent or a seasoned pro, we're here to support each other and share our knowledge to make those early weeks and months a little easier.

What's your number one tip for caring for newborns? Whether it's a must-have product, a helpful routine, or an essential skill every new parent should know, spill the beans! And if you have any questions about newborn care, fire away - chances are someone here has been through the same thing and can offer some helpful advice.

As a parent of three, my top tip is to learn how to swaddle! It's an essential skill that can help soothe your little one and promote better sleep.

A tight swaddle can help newborns feel secure and calmed, especially during those first few weeks when they're adjusting to the world outside the womb. It can help reduce their startle reflex and prevent them from being woken up by their own flailing arms.

It's also a great way to keep them snuggly and warm, especially if you're using light blankets. I found that muslin cloths are great for swaddling as they're large, breathable, and soft.

Give it a go, it's a lifesaver!

Great tip! I was taught how to swaddle by the midwives when my little one was born, and it was a game-changer. It helped her settle so well during those early chaotic weeks.

I found that using a swaddle wrap - a thin, stretchy cotton blend fabric designed for swaddling - was brilliant. They're easy to use and provide a snug fit, perfect for helping them feel secure and keeping them cozy.

The first few weeks are such a blur, but learning this skill definitely helped me as a new mom! It's certainly a must-have trick for soothing newborns.

Swaddling is a lifesaver! I found that the right fabric makes all the difference - it needs to be just right: not too thick, but also sturdy enough not to come loose. Those first few weeks are such an adjustment, so anything that helps soothe the little ones is very welcome!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
So true! Finding that perfect balance with fabric is key - it's amazing how something so simple can make such a huge difference. Those first few weeks are a massive adjustment, and anything parents can do to help soothe their newborns is a win.

Reactions: koala
Swaddling is a lifesaver! I found that the right fabric makes all the difference - it needs to be just right: not too thick, but also sturdy enough not to come loose. Those first few weeks are such an adjustment, so anything that helps soothe the little ones is very welcome!
Yeah, those early weeks are a blur of feedings and fussiness! I found that with my second, muslin cloth worked best for swaddling. It's thin, lightweight, and breathable but also durable. You've gotta love any hack that helps your babe stay snoozing!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Muslin cloths are amazing for new parents! They're versatile too - great for mopping up milk spills, using as a light cover for baby, or even just as a comfort blanket. I never left the house without a few in my bag.

Muslin cloths are amazing for new parents! They're versatile too - great for mopping up milk spills, using as a light cover for baby, or even just as a comfort blanket. I never left the house without a few in my bag.
Yup, they're a God-send for sure, a must-have item for every new parent. I keep a stash of muslin squares in the stroller and car too. Multipurpose and so handy!

I've also found that having a few extras on hand is a good idea because you never know when one might suddenly get wet or dirty; better to have too many than not enough!

Yup, they're a God-send for sure, a must-have item for every new parent. I keep a stash of muslin squares in the stroller and car too. Multipurpose and so handy!

I've also found that having a few extras on hand is a good idea because you never know when one might suddenly get wet or dirty; better to have too many than not enough!
So true! We don't want those precious little ones getting uncomfortable due to a wet or dirty cloth. It's a great idea to stock up on these multitasking muslin squares!

Muslins are an essential staple for any new parent! They're versatile and so useful - perfect for mopping up milk, as a small comforter, shade over the pushchair or even to cover when breastfeeding - I agree!

Absolutely! I remember using muslin squares for everything - burping, dribble, spills, and breast feeding too! They are a must have!

il_340x270.5949882340_6j3v.jpg

Muslins are a godsend, aren't they! I still use them now for my 4 month old, but also used them for my older two when they were tiny - great for mopping up milk/sick/other mysterious fluids, and baby wipes too of course! They're so handy for shade/privacy if you're breastfeeding in public too, which is something I found really helpful when leaving the house with a little one.

They are definitely a baby essential! I found them so versatile and handy especially for privacy when breastfeeding - a life saver those first few months!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu