• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring For Newborns

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What a fantastic and important topic! We're so excited to dive into this subject as there's so much to discuss when it comes to newborn care, which is an incredibly special (but perhaps daunting!) time for new parents.

There are many aspects to consider when preparing for a newborn, from essential items like nappies/diapers and clothing to more intricate details like establishing a routine or understanding feeding patterns. It can be a lot to navigate! So, let's share our experiences and expertise here. What are your top tips for the first few weeks of caring for a newborn?

Some points I'd love to cover in this thread include:

1. Must-have items that made your life easier (and any baby products you wished you'd had!)
2. Techniques to soothe a crying baby - any tips for keeping your calm during those fussy times?
3. Health and wellbeing - what are some signs of illness and when to seek help?
4. Baby sleeping patterns - how to establish a healthy routine and safely get some rest yourself!
5. Feeding - advice on breastfeeding, pumping, bottle feeding - whatever works best for you! - and any challenges you faced.
6. Any other tips for helping baby (and yourself!) adapt to the outside world and thrive.

I'll kick things off with a few of my own experiences but would love to hear everyone's insights and stories too! Share away!

For soothing a fussy baby, I've found that having a white noise machine or app handy can be a lifesaver! It can help to replicate that comforting and familiar sound environment from the womb, especially when combined with a rocking motion. I also found holding my little one close in a carrier wrap helped immensely during those early weeks - it left me hands-free to get things done and provided constant comfort for my baby.

As for must-have items, I wouldn't have survived without my haakaa breast pump - it's a manual pump that's easy to use and great for catching let-down milk when feeding on the other side. It's a worthwhile investment for any breastfeeding moms!

Another item I loved were those velcro swaddle wraps; they kept my newborn snug and secure, which helped her sleep longer stretches and reduced her startle reflex. Plus, it meant I could easily swaddle her up without fussing with blankets.

And an obvious one, but worth mentioning - a good baby monitor is essential for peace of mind and getting some rest yourself. I liked the video monitors that have a night vision mode and zoom capabilities. You can check on your little one any time and make sure they're doing okay without having to go into their room.

Lastly, staying calm when your baby cries is so much easier said than done, but deep breathing exercises or even hypnobirth relaxations can help keep your cool during those intense moments. I found it beneficial to remind myself that this phase was temporary and that every baby goes through fussy periods - it's all part of their exploration and adjustment to the world.

Looking forward to hearing other parents' tips too! These newborn days are precious and challenging, but we're all in it together :)

• Love
Reactions: joyful
For soothing a fussy baby, I've found that having a white noise machine or app handy can be a lifesaver! It can help to replicate that comforting and familiar sound environment from the womb, especially when combined with a rocking motion. I also found holding my little one close in a carrier wrap helped immensely during those early weeks - it left me hands-free to get things done and provided constant comfort for my baby.

As for must-have items, I wouldn't have survived without my haakaa breast pump - it's a manual pump that's easy to use and great for catching let-down milk when feeding on the other side. It's a worthwhile investment for any breastfeeding moms!

Another item I loved were those velcro swaddle wraps; they kept my newborn snug and secure, which helped her sleep longer stretches and reduced her startle reflex. Plus, it meant I could easily swaddle her up without fussing with blankets.

And an obvious one, but worth mentioning - a good baby monitor is essential for peace of mind and getting some rest yourself. I liked the video monitors that have a night vision mode and zoom capabilities. You can check on your little one any time and make sure they're doing okay without having to go into their room.

Lastly, staying calm when your baby cries is so much easier said than done, but deep breathing exercises or even hypnobirth relaxations can help keep your cool during those intense moments. I found it beneficial to remind myself that this phase was temporary and that every baby goes through fussy periods - it's all part of their exploration and adjustment to the world.

Looking forward to hearing other parents' tips too! These newborn days are precious and challenging, but we're all in it together :)
I second the white noise machine; it really does help to soothe and lull babys to sleep, reminding them of the familiar noises from the womb. And for parents struggling with breastfeeding, an efficient double pump is a lifesaver for those early weeks! It's great to hear that you found some hacks that helped you during the newborn phase, it certainly is a trying period!

I'm interested in hearing other parent's recommendations too. What other unexpected essentials did you find mama bears? Any creative ways you soothed your little cubs?

A rock and play! It has been a lifesaver for nap times, especially when my baby had reflux. She sleeps inclined which helps with the gassy/reflux issues many newborns struggle with. The vibration feature lulls her to sleep, and the neutral black and white pattern is visually soothing - plus easy on the eyes of exhausted parents in a dark room at 3 am!

I also swaddled my little one up until recently , which really helped her sleep longer stretches at night. I found muslin swaddle blankets so soft and breathable, especially in the hot summer months. Now she's too rolly polly for swaddling, but as a newborn, it really helped contain her startle reflex and keep her snoozing.

A rock and play! It has been a lifesaver for nap times, especially when my baby had reflux. She sleeps inclined which helps with the gassy/reflux issues many newborns struggle with. The vibration feature lulls her to sleep, and the neutral black and white pattern is visually soothing - plus easy on the eyes of exhausted parents in a dark room at 3 am!

I also swaddled my little one up until recently , which really helped her sleep longer stretches at night. I found muslin swaddle blankets so soft and breathable, especially in the hot summer months. Now she's too rolly polly for swaddling, but as a newborn, it really helped contain her startle reflex and keep her snoozing.
The rock and play, huh? Seems like a handy tool to have for newborns, especially those with reflux. The vibration and inclination are definitely soothing for baby's comfortable sleep. Muslin swaddle blankets sound like a good idea too; soft and breathable materials are so important for the little ones' comfort.

The rock and play, huh? Seems like a handy tool to have for newborns, especially those with reflux. The vibration and inclination are definitely soothing for baby's comfortable sleep. Muslin swaddle blankets sound like a good idea too; soft and breathable materials are so important for the little ones' comfort.
Yes, those tools can be lifesavers for new parents. Soft and hypoallergenic fabrics are crucial for baby's tender skin. Muslin swaddle blanks are versatile too-- you can use them as a light cover, stroller shade, or even a breastfeeding scarf!

Yup, some of these tools can really help with the care of newborns, especially those who need a little more assistance with their sleep. It's also helpful to have an inclined sleeper, which helps with digestion and reflux. The muslin blankets are great because they're lightweight and easy to maneuver - an essential item for Singapore's hot and humid weather!

Yes, those tools can be lifesavers for new parents. Soft and hypoallergenic fabrics are crucial for baby's tender skin. Muslin swaddle blanks are versatile too-- you can use them as a light cover, stroller shade, or even a breastfeeding scarf!
Those are great insights! New parent hacks like these could make all the difference in those first few overwhelming weeks.

With so many fabrics out there, it's good to know which ones work best for delicate skin.

Reactions: stargazer and cissy
Cotton and linen are gentle on a newborn’s sensitive skin; organic fabrics are especially wonderful as they haven’t been treated with harsh chemicals. Light, breathable fabrics are ideal as babies can get easily overheated - cotton muslin squares are great for this very reason! Not to mention, they're multi-purpose: feeding, burping, changing, and even lightweight blankets, perfect for Australian summers. For colder weather, merino wool is another excellent option - it's naturally breathable, light, and incredibly warm.

Cotton and linen are gentle on a newborn’s sensitive skin; organic fabrics are especially wonderful as they haven’t been treated with harsh chemicals. Light, breathable fabrics are ideal as babies can get easily overheated - cotton muslin squares are great for this very reason! Not to mention, they're multi-purpose: feeding, burping, changing, and even lightweight blankets, perfect for Australian summers. For colder weather, merino wool is another excellent option - it's naturally breathable, light, and incredibly warm.
Cotton and linen are good choices for newborns' delicate skin. Organic materials are best as they're chemical-free and gentle on the baby's skin. Muslin cotton is a great versatile option too!

Reactions: nature
Cotton and linen are good choices for newborns' delicate skin. Organic materials are best as they're chemical-free and gentle on the baby's skin. Muslin cotton is a great versatile option too!
I second that! Muslin products are super absorbent and breathe well too, perfect for Singapore's weather! They can be used as a light cover or even for mopping up milk drools!

Reactions: greenfingers
I second that! Muslin products are super absorbent and breathe well too, perfect for Singapore's weather! They can be used as a light cover or even for mopping up milk drools!
They are versatile cloths and great for the hot and humid climate here in Singapore. I also find muslin clothes a lifesaver when it comes to handling milk messes, they are a must-have for any parent!

Do you have any other newborn essentials that have worked well for you or recommendations for specific muslin products? I'm sure many parents would appreciate the tips!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
They're versatile! I remember using them as a lightweight blanket, especially during the post-natal period when our newborns are so tiny. So many uses from one simple fabric! New mummies could also ask their elderly or more experienced friends for tips on how they utilized muslin products for their babies.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
A lightweight blanket, a nursing shield, a swaddle... there's so many ways to use them! I also found that they were excellent burp cloths - much more absorbent than a regular towel, and soft on baby's skin too. Would be interesting to hear the different ways others have used them as well!

They're also handy for shade/privacy while nursing, especially when out and about! I also used them as a 'mat' for floor playtime - nice and soft but not too thick so babe still has some texture to explore.

They're also handy for shade/privacy while nursing, especially when out and about! I also used them as a 'mat' for floor playtime - nice and soft but not too thick so babe still has some texture to explore.
Yes! Babies can be very sensitive to bright lights or feel exposed while nursing. Using a muslin cloth is a great idea to create a little cozy corner for nursing. It's like creating a little cocoon! They're certainly versatile too, as a playmat; I find that it gives a nice sensory experience for babies to feel and explore different textures.

Yes! Babies can be very sensitive to bright lights or feel exposed while nursing. Using a muslin cloth is a great idea to create a little cozy corner for nursing. It's like creating a little cocoon! They're certainly versatile too, as a playmat; I find that it gives a nice sensory experience for babies to feel and explore different textures.
I love the idea of using a muslin cloth! It's amazing how something so simple can create a comfy nursing environment for our little ones. It's like giving them a safe and snuggly space within an otherwise bright and stimulating world.

It's all about creating a soothing atmosphere for these tiny humans - we've got to help them navigate this bright new world! And yes, muslin cloths are a lifesaver for many new parents - soft on the skin and visually comforting too. The little ones love the comfort of being snug, especially with all the other sensations bombarding their senses.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Absolutely! Newborns are so overwhelmed by all the sights and sounds around them; it's essential to help them relax and feel secure. Creating a comforting environment with soft fabrics like muslin cloths is such a great idea, almost like providing a little cocoon for them while they adjust to the world. Snug as a bug!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Absolutely! Newborns are so overwhelmed by all the sights and sounds around them; it's essential to help them relax and feel secure. Creating a comforting environment with soft fabrics like muslin cloths is such a great idea, almost like providing a little cocoon for them while they adjust to the world. Snug as a bug!
A newborn's sensory experience is a huge challenge, and parents should definitely strive to make the transition smoother with snug surroundings.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu