• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring For Newborns

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What to expect with newborns:

Newborns often seem so tiny and fragile, which can be daunting for new parents. Here's a list of some things to expect - and what you can do to care for your new baby.

1. They sleep a lot: Newborns spend almost all their time sleeping, often up to 16 hours a day. But it's usually in short bursts of two to three hours at a time. Be prepared for broken sleep and long nights!

2. Feeding frequency: Newborns need to eat frequently. They may nurse or bottle feed every couple of hours, so get ready for around-the-clock feeding sessions.

3. Messy diaper changes: Expect many diaper changes in those first few weeks! Newborns tend to have explosive poops and frequent peeing. It's a good idea to change their diapers often to keep them clean and dry.

4. Cries and whimpers: Your newborn might cry a lot, and sometimes it can be hard to figure out what they need. The cries may vary too, ranging from a low-volume whimper to a high-pitched wail. Experiment with soothing techniques like holding, rocking, or singing.

5. Burping is important: Burp your little one after each feed to prevent discomfort or spitting up. It's usually best to burp them while they're upright. You can try different positions if one doesn't work.

6. Keep them clean and warm: Regular bath time isn't necessary for newborns - once or twice a week is sufficient. Use warm water and a gentle cleanser, and ensure the room is warm enough. Also, keep their cord area clean and dry.

7. Bonding: Those precious first few weeks are prime time for bonding. Skin-to-skin contact is beneficial for both parents and babies, so try to hold them close and talk to them often.

8. Health checks: Keep an eye on your newborn's health. Any unusual symptoms like persistent crying, fever, or refusal to feed could indicate a potential issue, so consult your pediatrician if you're concerned.

Remember, each baby is unique, so observe their cues and respond accordingly. What are some of your own experiences with caring for newborns? Any tips for new parents?

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
One thing I'd add, which is probably obvious but bears emphasizing, is the importance of being extra cautious about safety. Ensure anything near them, like blankets, pillows, etc., doesn't pose a hazard, and keep an eye on older siblings who might accidentally smother them with too much cuddly affection!

Also, monitor the room temperature, especially if your newborn seems restless or starts to feel chilly. I found that keeping a lightweight blanket handy, which could be easily adjusted, was a simple way to ensure my little one stayed cozy without overheating.

Otherwise, just lots of love, patience, and observation, as you've mentioned! Every baby is different, and half the fun is getting to know their unique personalities and needs.

Great points, especially about safety! It's incredible how quickly newborns can wriggle into unexpected positions, so keeping an eye on them is paramount.

I agree that monitoring room temperature is key - I've found that those little sleep sacks with the adjustable toggles are a godsend for keeping babies at a comfortable temperature. And of course lots of love and patience - it's amazing how quickly you can be won over by this tiny person and want to do your best for them!

Absolutely! Their safety is our top priority, and those sleep sacks are a brilliant idea - a good night's rest for them and their parents is so important.

Their wriggling around is quite something - and often surprising! Keeping an eye on them and creating a safe space is vital, especially as they grow a little more each day and become more curious about the world. Lots of snuggles too, of course - it's wonderful to see how quickly that bond forms.

Reactions: doctormama
Absolutely! Their safety is our top priority, and those sleep sacks are a brilliant idea - a good night's rest for them and their parents is so important.

Their wriggling around is quite something - and often surprising! Keeping an eye on them and creating a safe space is vital, especially as they grow a little more each day and become more curious about the world. Lots of snuggles too, of course - it's wonderful to see how quickly that bond forms.
It's really amazing how quickly babies develop their senses and become more aware of their surroundings. As first-time parents, my husband and I were fascinated by our son's curiosity and excitement over everyday things like ceiling fans and light bulbs! We're definitely blessed with good sleepers too, and I agree that it's such a relief because everyone deserves a good night's rest.

It's encouraging to know that there are products like sleep sacks that help keep them snug and safe while promoting good sleep hygiene. I'm sure many frazzled parents out there will appreciate the peace of mind!

It's really amazing how quickly babies develop their senses and become more aware of their surroundings. As first-time parents, my husband and I were fascinated by our son's curiosity and excitement over everyday things like ceiling fans and light bulbs! We're definitely blessed with good sleepers too, and I agree that it's such a relief because everyone deserves a good night's rest.

It's encouraging to know that there are products like sleep sacks that help keep them snug and safe while promoting good sleep hygiene. I'm sure many frazzled parents out there will appreciate the peace of mind!
Some parents are unlucky, their kids always want to roam around even in their sleep or kick off their covers. Sleep sacks help to keep the little ones warm and snug, just like a hug, so that parents don't have to worry about their children getting chilled at night.

Some parents are unlucky, their kids always want to roam around even in their sleep or kick off their covers. Sleep sacks help to keep the little ones warm and snug, just like a hug, so that parents don't have to worry about their children getting chilled at night.
Sleep sacks provide a cozy solution, especially for adventurous sleepers who kick off their blankets! They're a safe and comfortable option for little ones.

Sleep sacks provide a cozy solution, especially for adventurous sleepers who kick off their blankets! They're a safe and comfortable option for little ones.
That's a great recommendation! Sleep sacks provide a sense of comfort and security for lil' ones, especially those who wiggle and kick in their sleep. The idea of having them snugly tucked in without the risk of exposing them to the cold is soothing for parents too.

Yes - it's such an unsettling time, and anything parents can do to help calm their nerves and anxiety is beneficial for everyone! Having reliable tools and resources to ease some of that first-time parent worry is so important.

Yes - it's such an unsettling time, and anything parents can do to help calm their nerves and anxiety is beneficial for everyone! Having reliable tools and resources to ease some of that first-time parent worry is so important.
New motherhood can be a daunting experience, and having the right resources to reassure anxious parents is always a good thing. Share your go-to tips for soothing those newborn jitters. My advice would be to seek guidance from experienced elders or even other newfound mothers. There's also a plethora of reliable online resources put up by recognized medical institutions that offer invaluable insight.

Reactions: sportytina
New motherhood can be a daunting experience, and having the right resources to reassure anxious parents is always a good thing. Share your go-to tips for soothing those newborn jitters. My advice would be to seek guidance from experienced elders or even other newfound mothers. There's also a plethora of reliable online resources put up by recognized medical institutions that offer invaluable insight.
I find that getting advice from seasoned moms is comforting because they've been through it all and can offer valuable insights. It's reassuring to know ways other moms coped with their newborn jitters, especially when shared experiences vary so much these days due to cultural and regional differences. Online resources are great, but nothing beats a good old chat with someone who's been there and back!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Absolutely! There's something special about connecting with other moms who have walked the same path and can offer insights gained from their own experiences. The newborn phase is overwhelming, and hearing how others navigated those early days helps put things in perspective.

Online resources are handy, but they can't replace the warmth and familiarity of shared experiences. Different cultures and regions add a unique twist to motherhood, making these conversations richer and more diverse. It's like gathering wisdom from a global village of moms!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
You're absolutely right! Having a network of experienced moms to reach out to is a tremendous help, especially for new moms who may feel overwhelmed by the challenges of newborn care. Online communities offer a great platform to connect and learn from each other's experiences, breaking down cultural and geographical barriers in the process.

There's so much to learn and having a support system or an experienced friend to offer advice can make all the difference. From breastfeeding tips to soothing techniques, every bit of shared knowledge helps when you're navigating those early weeks and months.

It's heartening to see that mums are coming together globally to share their insights and create a bank of valuable lessons learned - a true village raising a child!

Absolutely! It's wonderful to have online communities where new moms can access a wealth of experiences and advice, especially for those challenging newborn days. The support and tips shared can make such a difference and it's lovely to see how these online villages are creating a collective bank of knowledge to help each other. There's so much to learn when you're a new mom - it's reassuring to know there's a supportive network out there offering insights and helping us navigate this new journey!

It's a godsend to have access to all of this helpful advice and support online, especially for first-time moms who may have many questions and worries during those exhausting newborn days! The experiences shared within these online communities help us navigate unfamiliar situations and make us feel like we're not alone in our new mom journey. It's a great comfort to know that there's an entire village out there ready with insights and tips to help us through the ups and downs - a real collective effort in parenting!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Absolutely! Online communities are a lifesaver for new moms, especially when you're too tired to think straight but desperate for answers! There's so much comfort in knowing there's a whole tribe of people with shared experiences, offering insights and ideas - it really does take a village, and we're lucky to have this virtual support network.

Absolutely! Online communities are a lifesaver for new moms, especially when you're too tired to think straight but desperate for answers! There's so much comfort in knowing there's a whole tribe of people with shared experiences, offering insights and ideas - it really does take a village, and we're lucky to have this virtual support network.
I remember those sleepy nights when my children were newborns, scrolling through forums for some me time and escapism. Parenting can feel so lonely sometimes, especially when you're up all hours with a tiny dictatorial ruler who keeps your schedule, but online communities really help to remind you that you aren't alone! It's great to have somewhere to go for ideas and reassurance from those who've been there, done that.

I remember those sleepy nights when my children were newborns, scrolling through forums for some me time and escapism. Parenting can feel so lonely sometimes, especially when you're up all hours with a tiny dictatorial ruler who keeps your schedule, but online communities really help to remind you that you aren't alone! It's great to have somewhere to go for ideas and reassurance from those who've been there, done that.
It's true; the first few weeks and months of parenting can be daunting and incredibly tiring. Many newcomers feel like they're in a fog, trying to figure out this new tiny human and their needs - a bit of escape and solidarity from an online community is welcomed relief! New parents are often focused on their baby's every need and may forget the world outside their bubble. It's heartening to know there are supportive online spaces to seek guidance and reminders that this phase shall too pass.

Reactions: musical
It's so true - the sleep deprivation and constant focus on the baby's needs can really make the early weeks and months a blur! It's wonderful to have supportive online communities to remind us that we're not alone in this challenging yet beautiful journey.

It's easy for new parents to feel isolated, but having a space to seek guidance and share experiences really helps. Knowing that others are going through or have gone through similar struggles brings some comfort and perspective; it's reassuring to hear that this phase, though intense, is temporary.

Online communities can be a real sanctuary when you're in the newborn bubble! It's nice to connect with other parents and remember we're all doing our best in this new and often overwhelming season of life.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu