• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for newborns

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your experiences and advice on caring for newborns here! Those first few weeks can be daunting for new parents so any tips you have to make life easier are welcome - from getting them to sleep through the night, keeping them entertained or comforted, or even just little ways you've found to keep yourself sane amidst the chaos!

What's your number one tip for newborn care?

The most valuable thing I learned was to prioritize sleep. Establish a bedtime routine and stick to it as best you can. A consistent sleep schedule helped my little one sleep through the night earlier than some of her peers, and it helped me immensely too! It's so important to get rest when they rest because the last thing you want is two cranky parents. Also, don't be afraid to nap during the day if your baby naps; those quick power naps can be lifesavers!

That's excellent advice! Getting some shut-eye when the little one does is a tactic I employed, and it helped me navigate those early weeks. Having a routine and sticking to it can also help with stimulation/calming cycles, so it's a win-win. And yes, those power naps are lifesavers!

Routines are such a huge help, especially for new parents - and an absolute sanity saver when you're running on empty! Power naps are a brilliant tactic to ensure you've some energy left for the evening too.

Absolutely - routines help establish a predictable rhythm, especially beneficial for first-time parents still finding their feet. Quick power naps are an ingenious way to stay energized throughout the day and prepare for the night ahead! What other strategies do you moms have up your sleeve for those early days?

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Having a predictable routine helped me a lot as a new parent. I also found that preparing and freezing meals in advance was a lifesaver for those first few weeks - it's one less thing to think about when you're tired and hungry! And of course, accepting help from friends and family for tasks like holding the baby so you can rest or shower is invaluable. You don't want to look back wishing you had enjoyed those precious moments more because you were too exhausted!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Having a predictable routine helped me a lot as a new parent. I also found that preparing and freezing meals in advance was a lifesaver for those first few weeks - it's one less thing to think about when you're tired and hungry! And of course, accepting help from friends and family for tasks like holding the baby so you can rest or shower is invaluable. You don't want to look back wishing you had enjoyed those precious moments more because you were too exhausted!
You're absolutely right - having a plan for mealtimes really does make life easier, especially when cooking is the last thing on your mind. And yes, delegates tasks and responsibilities; it ensures you don't burn out and cherish that precious baby time!

You're absolutely right - having a plan for mealtimes really does make life easier, especially when cooking is the last thing on your mind. And yes, delegates tasks and responsibilities; it ensures you don't burn out and cherish that precious baby time!
Yeah, having help and a good support system definitely makes a huge difference! You gotta enjoy those moments as they grow up too quickly. Speaking of which, another tip: Cherish every moment; they grow up in a blink! Also, document everything - photos, videos, even a journal - because you'll forget some precious memories otherwise!

So true! I've heard so many parents say how quickly the newborn stage goes by and to savour every moment. It's also a great idea to document everything - it's nice to look back on photos and videos and even little keepsakes like baby's first tooth or their hospital band. A friend of mine even writes letters to her kids and stores little mementos in them - things that they'll read when they're older and ( hopefully!) appreciate.

That's a lovely idea! I might steal that letter-writing tradition too, it's so special to have those memories and thoughts down on paper. We took lots of photos but didn't do much else - no videos unfortunately! But we also tried to just enjoy the little moments and not get too caught up in documenting everything because it all goes by so fast (which is true!).

Reactions: travelmum
It's a wonderful tradition, something tangible to keep and read years later! The letters alongside the photographs will make for such a precious keepsake! Enjoy these moments, they grow up so quickly!

What a lovely idea - a keepsake box with letters and photos. It's those little traditions that can become so meaningful when looking back on those early days. Cherish the moments they do grow up too fast!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and cissy
What a lovely idea - a keepsake box with letters and photos. It's those little traditions that can become so meaningful when looking back on those early days. Cherish the moments they do grow up too fast!
the years fly by! You never know, with all these letters and memories, you might end up filling an entire scrapbook or memory box! It's a sweet effort to make and one that your little one will surely appreciate one day.

That's a heartwarming idea and very true - time seems to fly by even faster with each passing year! It's lovely to think of all these memories being preserved for the future, and a full scrapbook would be such a wonderful keepsake.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu