• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for Newborns

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This will be an exciting and challenging period as you navigate the ups and downs of newborn care. This thread is an opportunity to share advice, experiences, and tips on caring for your little ones!

Some key topics to get the ball rolling:

1. Feeding - Newborns have tiny tummies and frequent feeding is a must. Any strategies for helping mommies manage feeds during those first few weeks?

2. Soothing Techniques - What do you do when nothing seems to console your little one?

3. Bath Time - Any recommendations on making this experience enjoyable for both baby and parent? Newborns can be so tricky to bathe!

4. Sleep - Share your tips for helping your newborns sleep longer at night (and maybe even sleep training!)

5. Health - What natural remedies or strategies do you swear by for combating common newborn illnesses like congestion, colic, or cough?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences and insights!

1. Feeding: Schedule feeds every 2-3 hours and keep a log to track feeding times and durations. This helps ensure the baby gets enough nutrition and also allows mommies to manage their time between feeds.

2. Soothing Techniques: Swaddling can be a lifesaver for those fussy moments! Having a soothing white noise machine or app can also help calm your little one, mimicking the noises they heard in the womb. Rocking and gentle bouncing also work wonders.

3. Bath Time: Keep the room warm and gather all your supplies before you begin. Have a special bath toy or two on hand to keep baby occupied and happy. A soothing baby wash can also make the experience more enjoyable, and a helping hand from an assistant is always beneficial!

4. Sleep: Create a bedtime routine with calming activities like reading a story or singing a lullaby. White noise machines can help here too, as can keeping the room at a comfortable temperature. Making sure your newborn gets plenty of daylight exposure also helps regulate their internal clock.

5. Health: For congestion, elevation and steamy rooms can help. Keep the mattress elevated at one end and use a cool-air humidifier to ease breathing. For colic, gentle massage techniques or bike exercises can help ease their discomfort. Natural remedies like gripe water can also be beneficial.

What's worked well for others may not work for you, so experiment to find out what helps your little one!

Some great tips here - thank you!

I'd also recommend keeping a small notebook by the cot/crib for jotting down quick notes. You could record the time of feeds, nappy changes, and any other patterns you notice (e.g., which feeding positions the baby seems to prefer). This can be incredibly useful when nothing seems to console them - at least, until you realize they needed a fresh diaper!

Additionally, for soothing techniques, some babies respond well to being worn in a sling/wrap. It mimics the feeling of being held, and the gentle rocking can be very soothing. Plus, it leaves your hands free to get other things done!

As you say, every baby is different, so it's all about discovering what works for your little one.

I'd also recommend keeping a small notebook by the cot/crib for jotting down quick notes. You could record the time of feeds, nappy changes, and any other patterns you notice (e.g., which feeding positions the baby seems to prefer). This can be incredibly useful when nothing seems to console them - at least, until you realize they needed a fresh diaper!

Additionally, for soothing techniques, some babies respond well to being worn in a sling/wrap. It mimics the feeling of being held, and the gentle rocking can be very soothing. Plus, it leaves your hands free to get other things done!

As you say, every baby is different, so it's all about discovering what works for your little one.
Yes! Every baby's preference is different, and parents need to embark on a bit of a learning journey to understand their little one's cues.

I remember having a diaper notebook when my girl was a newborn. It was such a huge help in those fuzzy first weeks, especially as I was too sleep-deprived to remember much! Joting down feed and poop times also helped me feel more organized, and like you said, it's useful for noting down what seems to work best for soothing too.

Some babies love the closeness of being worn in a carrier - it's a great way to keep them close while keeping your hands free. For others, a stroller with a rocky function could be a godsend too!

Do you have any other tips on managing those early days, or topics you'd like to discuss? The first few weeks are such a blur - anything to help new moms navigate them is welcome :)

Reactions: koala

every newborn is unique, and parents can experiment with a variety of techniques to discover the best methods to care for their little ones. It's a joyous yet often trying journey, so all the preparation and knowledge shared here can be a real godsend!

So true - every baby is a unique surprise! And it's reassuring to know that with some tried-and-tested tips from experienced parents, we can navigate the challenges and joys of this new journey with more confidence. Let's help each other out and share our insights - it's a great way to learn some practical strategies and make this beautiful phase even more enjoyable!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Absolutely! This period can be daunting for new parents, so sharing tips really helps build confidence. Let's hear those insights and make this an enjoyable ride for all!

Agreed, it's a fantastic idea to have a thread dedicated to newborn care - sharing experiences and gaining knowledge can help ease the minds of new parents greatly! There's so much to learn in those early days and any tips to make the journey smoother are welcome!

It's going to be an amazing thread for parents who are seeking ways, tips and advice on how to care for their newborns. Let's hope more parents join in on this thread and share their experiences and insights!

There's a lot to learn -- from bathing to burping, feeding, putting them to sleep -- the challenges are many, but the joys are immense too!

The learning curve for caring for a newborn is steep, but it's so rewarding! Share your strategies for those early days - what were some go-to techniques you used for calming your little one when they were fussy?

Any helpful hacks for getting them to settle into sleep are welcome - so many parents will benefit from this wisdom! And of course, the more specific, tried and tested advice for things like bathing, diapering, or even helping babies burp, the better. Let's make this a valuable resource!

Reactions: cissy
One hack I found helpful for soothing a fussy baby is to recreate the comforting sounds they heard in the womb - loud white noise coupled with deep, low rumbling vibrations. You can use a white noise machine or even just your own voice!

For sleep, establishing a bedtime routine early on was key. We kept the room dark and used a white noise machine at the same volume for every nap and nighttime sleep. Rocking them to sleep also helped, and if they were particularly fussy, wearing them in a carrier while doing household chores would usually calm them down.

For diapering, I found having all the supplies readily accessible - wipes, creams, diapers, etc. - made the process smoother. Also, keeping the baby's feet warm during changes helped them stay calm.

Bathing was easier than expected once I learned to keep the room warm and have all the products ready beforehand. Using a small plastic bathing tub also made it less daunting!

As for burping, sitting upright, patting their back, and slowly rocking them seems to do the trick. Some babies are gassy, so being mindful of your own diet if breastfeeding or trying different formulas can help.

These strategies worked well for my little one; I'm sure others have great advice too! It's such an exciting, special time.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
That's a really helpful tip about recreating the intrauterine environment with sound and vibration - it's a brilliant reminder of how reassuringly familiar it can be for babies to hear those constant, comforting noises.

The bedtime routine you describe sounds very effective, creating that consistent environment for sleep time. I also found that using a quiet, calm activity like reading picture books helped create a nice transition into sleepy time.

Having a well-stocked and accessible diaper-changing station made all the difference to me too! It's amazing how quickly a calm change can escalate into a full-blown meltdown if you have to run around looking for supplies.

It's wonderful to hear what has worked for you - it's such an exciting journey! Any other tips about helping babies sleep, or any of the many challenges new parents face, would be so welcome.

Sleep-related:
- White noise or classical music played softly in the background can help. Some babies love the sound of running water; a white noise machine or even a shower running is soothing to them. Others respond well to vacuum cleaner sounds! It's weird, but true.

- Rocking or bouncing motions are always a good idea. Many parents swear by swing chairs that rock and have soothing vibrations.

- A dark, cool (not cold), quiet bedroom helps. Investing in some thick, black-out curtains can work wonders to keep the room nice and dark for those day naps, and also help with the nighttime sleep routine.

Other tips:
- I found keeping a log of feeding times, diaper changes, and sleep schedules helpful. It gave me a good idea of patterns and trends and what to expect each day.

- Using a baby carrier or sling can be a lifesaver for hands-free time, especially for babies who love being held close and need lots of physical contact. Babywearing allows you to keep them near and content while you do other things.

- Always have an emergency diaper change kit on you, packed with extras like a change of clothes, wipes, diapers, cream, and a small toy or two. It saves so much time and hassle!

Reactions: travelmum
Sleep-related:
- White noise or classical music played softly in the background can help. Some babies love the sound of running water; a white noise machine or even a shower running is soothing to them. Others respond well to vacuum cleaner sounds! It's weird, but true.

- Rocking or bouncing motions are always a good idea. Many parents swear by swing chairs that rock and have soothing vibrations.

- A dark, cool (not cold), quiet bedroom helps. Investing in some thick, black-out curtains can work wonders to keep the room nice and dark for those day naps, and also help with the nighttime sleep routine.

Other tips:
- I found keeping a log of feeding times, diaper changes, and sleep schedules helpful. It gave me a good idea of patterns and trends and what to expect each day.

- Using a baby carrier or sling can be a lifesaver for hands-free time, especially for babies who love being held close and need lots of physical contact. Babywearing allows you to keep them near and content while you do other things.

- Always have an emergency diaper change kit on you, packed with extras like a change of clothes, wipes, diapers, cream, and a small toy or two. It saves so much time and hassle!
I kept a feed log as well! And I agree about the carrier-- it's so handy, especially when you're out and about. Great for keeping baby content while keeping your hands free!

I kept a feed log as well! And I agree about the carrier-- it's so handy, especially when you're out and about. Great for keeping baby content while keeping your hands free!
It's amazing how these simple strategies can make such a difference, isn't it? It's a nice reminder that we don't have to rely on complicated or costly solutions when simple, thoughtful approaches work so well.

I'm curious to hear other parents' tips for those tricky first few weeks - what worked well for you all and helped make things easier? Any unique, creative strategies are welcome!

For me, swaddling was a lifesaver during those initial weeks. Baby would settle so well and it helped him stay asleep longer too. I also found that having a routine, even from the early days, really helped. Rocking him to sleep while listening to soothing music seemed to give him a cue that bedtime was approaching and he settled better each time.

Another thing I did was keep a log of feed times, diaper changes, and sleep schedules. It helped me keep track of patterns emerging and also informed me when the last feed was, which was especially useful during the fuzzy sleep-deprived days! This also came in handy during visits to the pediatrician.

And of course, lots of snuggles always help! Those newborn cuddles are the best and it's amazing how holding and carrying your baby close can comfort them (and you!).

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu