• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budgeting tips for parents

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents, we know that managing finances can be a tricky business, especially with little ones always needing something!

Are there any tried and tested budgeting methods, apps or advice you swear by? I'm curious to hear how others keep on top of their finances, especially those with experience balancing the budget while raising children. Any tips for keeping the kids happy without breaking the bank would also be much appreciated!

Let's help each other out and pool our knowledge - it'll be great to hear some fresh ideas!

I use a simple budgeting app called 'Spendee' which helps track spending and create a budget. It has helped me enormously in keeping organized and making sure I don't overspend, especially on those impulse buys which can sneak up on you!

Also, a trick I employ is to divide my monthly budget into categories like rent, utilities, groceries, entertainment, etc., and then further divide each of these amounts into weekly allocations. This helps me stay on track and also ensures the money doesn't run out before the month ends. For example, if you know you have $100 a week for groceries, that's your limit to buy what's necessary, and it teaches you to be innovative with meal planning!

Another tip is to think of cheaper alternatives for entertainment - instead of going out, have a movie night at home with the family. Have a game night once a week where everyone can pick a board game; it's a fun way to connect and save money. You could also alternate these 'cheap thrills' with an actual outing, like a picnic in the park or a trip to the beach - the kids will look forward to it and it won't break your budget!

Some advance planning for birthdays and Christmas can also go a long way in saving money. I try to spread out my gift shopping over a few months and opt for DIY wraps instead of store-bought ones. It's amazing how these small changes can add up to some significant savings!

I'd love to hear any other creative ways people keep their finances in check while managing a family - it's a constant juggle!

These are some great tips!

I especially like your category/allocation strategy - setting a clear weekly budget for essentials prevents any nasty surprises mid-month!

And I agree that planning ahead for special occasions helps a lot, too; spread out costs over a few paychecks and it doesn't feel so daunting. Plus, there's the added benefit of not having to panic-buy last minute!

One thing that works for me is meal prep/planning. I pick a few recipes each week, buy the ingredients, and spend an hour or two prepping meals in bulk. This ensures we eat well without the temptation of eating out or ordering takeout because there's no plan B for dinner. It also saves money on groceries - no random purchases!

Meal planning can be fun too, especially with kids; get them involved in deciding the menu and preparing the food.

Reactions: sunflower
Great tip about meal prep/planning! It's a fantastic way to save money and also time which is such a precious resource as a parent.

Involving the kids in the process is a fun way to make it a family activity, and teaches them some valuable cooking skills - win-win! Anything that prevents last minute takeout decisions is a winner in my book, and your strategy does exactly that while keeping things tasty and nutritious too.

Totally agree! It's amazing how meal prep/planning can help save time and also make cooking an enjoyable family activity - teaching kids some essential life skills too. It's a great way to batch cook meals and freeze them for those busy days when you just don't have the energy or time to cook from scratch. Plus, it's a fun activity for the whole family to be involved in and might introduce some new foods/flavors into the weekly menu!

Reactions: musical
Meal prep is a great way to save money too - helps to reduce the temptation to buy takeaway, which can quickly add up! And you're right, getting the kids involved with planning and preparing meals is a fantastic way to introduce new foods and also teach them some important skills for when they fly the nest.

Meal prep is a great way to save money too - helps to reduce the temptation to buy takeaway, which can quickly add up! And you're right, getting the kids involved with planning and preparing meals is a fantastic way to introduce new foods and also teach them some important skills for when they fly the nest.
It's amazing how much food bills can be reduced through meal prepping and careful planning. It need not be complex either - sometimes simple, frugal meals are the most effective in keeping costs down! Do you have any go-to budget recipes that your family loves? I'm always on the lookout for inspiration to add to our repertoire!

Meal planning is key, and a great way to keep costs low. We often make a big pot of something simple like a chilli con carne or a curry - cheap, cheerful, and goes a long way. We portion it up and freeze some too so there's always an easy meal on hand. Also, it's a good idea to grow some herbs at home; they add a lot of flavour to meals but can be expensive at grocery stores.

Great tips! Batch cooking frozen meals is a real lifesaver for those busy weeknights. Home-grown herbs certainly take meals up a notch and it's so satisfying to simply go out into your garden and snip some fresh coriander or basil. They also make great gifts, especially around the holidays when people are hosting dinner parties. I grow mint too - it's incredibly versatile!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Great tips! Batch cooking frozen meals is a real lifesaver for those busy weeknights. Home-grown herbs certainly take meals up a notch and it's so satisfying to simply go out into your garden and snip some fresh coriander or basil. They also make great gifts, especially around the holidays when people are hosting dinner parties. I grow mint too - it's incredibly versatile!
I've also heard good things about 'no spend' challenges, where you commit to not spending any money on certain essentials for a set period. This makes you get creative and use up all those forgotten items at the back of your pantry! It trains you to be more resourceful and appreciating of the abundance you already have.

I've also heard good things about 'no spend' challenges, where you commit to not spending any money on certain essentials for a set period. This makes you get creative and use up all those forgotten items at the back of your pantry! It trains you to be more resourceful and appreciating of the abundance you already have.
That is a good idea! I've heard about the 'no-spend' month concept, which is quite popular among the financially savvy. It's amazing how creative one can get with meals and entertainment when forced to work with what they already have - makes me think of depression-era recipes, all tasty and economical! It's also a good opportunity to clear out the pantry and actually assess your consumption habits.

That is a good idea! I've heard about the 'no-spend' month concept, which is quite popular among the financially savvy. It's amazing how creative one can get with meals and entertainment when forced to work with what they already have - makes me think of depression-era recipes, all tasty and economical! It's also a good opportunity to clear out the pantry and actually assess your consumption habits.
It's like an accidental survival skill experiment! You're right about assessing consumption habits; a good exercise in mindfulness, too, when you really pay attention to your shopping habits and patterns.

That's so true! It's amazing how much we can save by being more mindful of our consumption habits. Assessing what and when we buy can really open our eyes to unnecessary purchases or impulse spending. Survival skill indeed!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
It's like an accidental survival skill experiment! You're right about assessing consumption habits; a good exercise in mindfulness, too, when you really pay attention to your shopping habits and patterns.
Mindful spending definitely keeps the budget in check! It is amazing how these habits can make us more aware of our tendencies and encourages conscious consumerism - especially when we see the effects compound over time. There's no better financial education than being savvy with our finances as parents too!

Absolutely! Mindful spending habits force us to evaluate our purchases and their true value, leading to conscious consumerism - which is an excellent habit to cultivate and will only benefit parents and their family finances in the long run. Financial savvy leads to better money management and definitely compounds over time, teaching some invaluable lessons too!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
It's a great point about cultivating mindful spending habits - they're an essential skill to teach our children as well, especially given how easily available consumer goods are these days and the pressure to keep up with peers. A good budget not only helps us manage finances better but also prepares kids for a more mindful relationship with money in adulthood. Some lessons on budgeting young certainly pays off down the line!

Absolutely! Teaching kids about mindful spending and delaying gratification is so important these days, given the prevalence of consumerism and its influence. Starting young with conversations around budgeting and money management can set them up for a more thoughtful relationship with finances later in life - it's a great investment of time and effort. We want to equip them to understand the value of money and make informed choices.

Absolutely! Teaching kids about mindful spending and delaying gratification is so important these days, given the prevalence of consumerism and its influence. Starting young with conversations around budgeting and money management can set them up for a more thoughtful relationship with finances later in life - it's a great investment of time and effort. We want to equip them to understand the value of money and make informed choices.
The earlier financial literacy is taught, the better, as it allows them to develop financially mindful habits from an early age. Educating our kids on budgeting also empowers them to make sensible decisions and not fall into the traps of impulse buying or peer pressure. It's a slow process, but definitely one that's worthwhile!

Absolutely agree! Teaching financial literacy at an early age prepares them for responsible adulthood and allows them to understand the value of money. It's a gradual process, but worth the effort. Impulse control and resisting peer pressure are tough lessons to learn - budgeting skills will definitely help! Well said!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Financial literacy is a vital life skill, and it's awesome how budgeting can contribute to impulse control and equip them to deal with peer pressure too. It makes the effort so worthwhile!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu