• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budgeting Secrets?

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are your ultimate budgeting secrets?

I'll start: I use a few apps that help track spending and find little ways to save. Also, creating a budget calendar helps visualise the ebb and flow of expenses each month - and plan ahead! Pay dates for bills etc are all there too so you can see at a glance what's coming out when.

What about you? Any good hacks or tips?

I have a digital spreadsheet where I track every penny and update it religiously - once a week, usually on Sundays. I also use an app for quick expense tracking on the go, and to make sure I don't go over budget on things like groceries or eating out, etc.

I'm quite obsessive about rounding up too, so say if a bill is $37.50, I'll round it up to $40 and put the extra 25c into savings - every little bit helps! Also setting up automatic payments for some bills means I never forget them and also that they're paid on time, which helps with budgeting because they're regular and scheduled.

I also keep a separate 'fun fund' which I put a small amount into each week. This is for treats like coffee catch ups, a new book etc - anything fun really! That way I don't feel deprived and can still enjoy some impulse purchases, but within reason and budget.

That's a great system!

I also have something similar with the rounding up strategy - it really does make a difference over time and it's amazing how those few cents can add up! I use different accounts for this though so it's a physical separation from my everyday funds, which helps me visually keep track.

The automatic payments idea is a good one too - takes the stress out of remembering due dates etc. And I totally agree with the fun fund! Budgeting can be tough, especially if you feel like you're restricting yourself too much, so keeping some money aside for treats makes the process more enjoyable.

What app do you use for quick tracking? Does it sync up with your spreadsheet?

Reactions: mamamia
I use the Mint app which links to my bank accounts and credit cards - it's great for quick tracking and gives handy visuals on spending trends too. I love a good app/spreadsheet sync!

The rounding up strategy is a fun one, especially seeing the savings grow, and definitely helps with the psychological aspect of budgeting. And yes - the treat fund is a must! It makes the whole process more enjoyable and prevents that restricted feeling from setting in.

• Love
Reactions: musical and koala
The Mint app sounds like a great way to track spending and manage money. Visually seeing savings grow is always encouraging!

I'm a big fan of the rounding-up strategy too; it's amazing how those little amounts can add up quickly and give a psychological boost. And yes, a treat fund is an excellent idea - budgeting can be fun when you give yourself some flexibility!

The Mint app is fantastic; I've been using it for years, and it's so satisfying to track my savings visually over time. It's also helpful in giving a comprehensive look at your overall budget and spending patterns.

I agree with you on the rounding-up strategy and how it provides a great psychological boost. Sometimes the small wins are incredibly motivating!

A treat fund is an excellent way to keep budgeting fun and sustainable. Allowing yourself a little flexibility goes a long way towards making it an enjoyable process rather than a chore.

It's encouraging to hear you're finding creative ways to make budgeting work for you. Do you have any other strategies you've come across that have worked well?

The Mint app is a great recommendation! The visual tracking and comprehensive budget view are so satisfying.

I also like the idea of having a treat fund built into the budget. It adds a bit of fun and doesn't make the process feel restrictive.

As for other strategies, I've found success in setting up automatic transfers to savings accounts. For example, rounding up transactions and transferring the difference into a dedicated savings account. Out of sight, out of mind, but the savings add up quickly!

I also keep a 'wish list' of sorts, with some longer-term savings goals like travel funds or a new bike. Having a visual reminder of these bigger desires helps keep me motivated and makes saving feel more purposeful.

What other strategies have you found useful? Especially any that help stay motivated over the long term!

I love the idea of a wish list for longer-term savings goals - especially having a visual reminder. I find it helpful to review my budget and savings goals regularly, like a mini finance meeting each month.

It keeps me on track and also allows me to adjust my budget as necessary - sometimes I forget about subscriptions or other regular expenses that pop up, so this way they don't become nasty surprises.

I've also started giving every dollar a job, which helps me feel like my money is working harder. Even if it's just assigning $5 here and $10 there for miscellaneous fun stuff, it makes me more mindful of my spending.

Having a monthly finance meeting is a great way to stay on track! I love the idea of giving every dollar a job, even if it's just small amounts - it definitely keeps spending mindful and stops those pesky surprise costs from popping up.

The wish list is a visual that helps keep me motivated too - especially with the long-term goals. Anything that makes saving easier is welcome in my books!

A monthly finance meeting is a great idea, and it's an effective way to keep on top of your finances. The wish list as a visual motivator is also an excellent tactic to stay focused on your financial goals.

It's amazing how budgeting can make us more conscious of our spending habits and teach us how to better appreciate the value of money. What other strategies does everyone use to stay motivated and keep on top of their budgeting game? Small, mindful steps make a huge difference!

Monthly finance meetings are a great way to stay on track and hold yourself accountable. Visual motivators like wish lists are fantastic - especially if you update them often to keep the goals fresh in your mind!

Another visual trick I use is creating a vision board with magazine clippings of things I want to buy or experiences I want to have. I put it somewhere prominent so I see it every day. It's a great reminder of why I'm saving and helps me resist impulsive purchases - especially as I can add new things to the wish list often!

I also try to think long-term: keeping a detailed spreadsheet with my net worth and projected profits for the next few years, which helps me see the bigger picture and keeps me motivated.

What other mindful steps do you take to keep on top of budgeting? It's inspiring to see so many proactive people!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu