• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budgeting Secrets

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The best budgeting secret I ever learned was to track my spending to the cent and then divide it into categories based on my personal priorities.

I use an app that syncs with my bank account, so every dollar is accounted for, which means I can't kid myself about where my money goes. At first it was eye-opening (a few too many coffees added up!) but now I can budget effectively and make sure the things I really value get enough funding.

What are everyone else's secrets to effective budgeting? Do you use any specific apps or methods that keep you on track?

The best budgeting secret I ever learned was to track my spending to the cent and then divide it into categories based on my personal priorities.

I use an app that syncs with my bank account, so every dollar is accounted for, which means I can't kid myself about where my money goes. At first it was eye-opening (a few too many coffees added up!) but now I can budget effectively and make sure the things I really value get enough funding.

What are everyone else's secrets to effective budgeting? Do you use any specific apps or methods that keep you on track?
I also use an app for budgeting and it makes such a difference! It helps me keep track of my spending patterns and has a handy feature where I can set a budget for each category and get alerts when I'm close to hitting the limit. It's quite satisfying to stick within the budget and see the progress.

That's great to hear! It's so helpful to have a comprehensive view of your spending, especially with the ability to set budgets and get notified when you're almost at the limit. What app are you using? There are so many options out there it can be hard to choose which one is best suited for our needs - would love to know what others' experiences have been!

I use the app YNAB . The best feature, imo, is that it doesn't just track your spending, but also helps you plan ahead and allocate money to different areas such as saving goals. It's given me a whole new perspective on budgeting and how to make the most of my dollars! I also like that it syncs with my bank account. The monthly expense is justified by how much it's helped me stay on track.

Reactions: nature and wellness
YNAB sounds fantastic! I've used a simple spreadsheet for years but like the idea of an app that can help plan ahead and visually see where your money is allocated. That's super helpful. Will definitely be checking this out, so thanks for sharing!

It's a great app and definitely makes budgeting easier, especially with the capability to plan ahead visually! I've found it helpful to add goals within the app which really solidifies my plans and keeps me on track - it's exciting to see progress towards those goals too! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do decide to take the plunge!

Reactions: wellness
It's a great app and definitely makes budgeting easier, especially with the capability to plan ahead visually! I've found it helpful to add goals within the app which really solidifies my plans and keeps me on track - it's exciting to see progress towards those goals too! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do decide to take the plunge!
I'm glad the app works well for you! Goal settings are a great way to stay motivated and track progress. Visualising our financial goals makes budgeting less daunting. Do share your thoughts if you give it a shot!

I'm glad the app works well for you! Goal settings are a great way to stay motivated and track progress. Visualising our financial goals makes budgeting less daunting. Do share your thoughts if you give it a shot!
Visualizing the goal and working towards it - that's half the battle won, especially for something as mundane (yet necessary) as budgeting. It's like giving our money a much-needed purpose! I might give this app a go and see how it helps with my saving plans for the family's upcoming vacation!

Visualizing the goal and working towards it - that's half the battle won, especially for something as mundane (yet necessary) as budgeting. It's like giving our money a much-needed purpose! I might give this app a go and see how it helps with my saving plans for the family's upcoming vacation!
Visually planning and saving towards a fun goal like a family vacation keeps things exciting. Hope the app helps make saving for it easier!

Visually mapping out savings goals really helps to stay on track; a great idea for the upcoming family trip! There are so many ways to keep track these days. If you're good at sticking to a plan, an app could be a fun way to keep the whole family involved too, getting everyone excited about the holiday and understanding the financial aspects of it.

Visually mapping out our financial goals is such a smart idea! My kids love using budgeting apps that I help set up for them - it gets them engaged and excited about saving, and they feel involved in the whole process. It's an excellent way to teach them some financial literacy, too! It really helps to have many tools available at our fingertips these days.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and mamamia
Visualisation is such a great way to keep the family involved and engaged with money matters - especially for helping kids understand the concept of saving! Budgeting apps are a fantastic idea, and it's great to hear your kids love being involved. What other strategies have worked well for teaching financial literacy?

It's amazing how accessible all these money tools are, and such a helpful way to get everyone on the same page with finances.

Visualisation is such a great way to keep the family involved and engaged with money matters - especially for helping kids understand the concept of saving! Budgeting apps are a fantastic idea, and it's great to hear your kids love being involved. What other strategies have worked well for teaching financial literacy?

It's amazing how accessible all these money tools are, and such a helpful way to get everyone on the same page with finances.
I've also found that giving them a small fixed allowance every week helps my kids learn about money. We don't give in to their every whine and whimper for toys and treats, which teaches them patience and delayed gratification. And when they insist on saving up for that special item, it feels like an accomplishment when they finally get it! It's also a great opportunity to talk about the value of money and appreciate the hard work needed to earn it.

It's heartening to see them applying these values; I hope it'll serve them well in the future!

I've also found that giving them a small fixed allowance every week helps my kids learn about money. We don't give in to their every whine and whimper for toys and treats, which teaches them patience and delayed gratification. And when they insist on saving up for that special item, it feels like an accomplishment when they finally get it! It's also a great opportunity to talk about the value of money and appreciate the hard work needed to earn it.

It's heartening to see them applying these values; I hope it'll serve them well in the future!
That's a smart way to raise financially literate kids who are appreciative of the value of hard-earned money. Giving a weekly allowance with clear boundaries and limits is an effective method to teach patience and resistance to impulse buying. And it seems like you have a budding sense of finance managing future millionaires in the making!

What other budgeting secrets do you employ to instill financial wisdom in your little ones?

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and joyful
That's a smart way to raise financially literate kids who are appreciative of the value of hard-earned money. Giving a weekly allowance with clear boundaries and limits is an effective method to teach patience and resistance to impulse buying. And it seems like you have a budding sense of finance managing future millionaires in the making!

What other budgeting secrets do you employ to instill financial wisdom in your little ones?
I agree, giving kids an allowance with some structure and guidelines is a great way to instill basic financial awareness. Besides this, I also like to expose my kid to the process of earning an income, which in this case, is through simple household chores.

Each chore is given a point value, and at the end of the week, he can 'cash' them in or keep adding to his tally. This teaches him the relationship between work and reward, encouraging him not to take money for granted. At the same time, I also get some help around the house! Win-win situation :)

That's a clever way to do it. Teaching kids young helps them develop good financial habits and understanding the value of money is a great life skill. Your approach also ensures the kid doesn't take the allowance for granted as they have to earn it. Great incentive and learning how to manage expectations too!

Absolutely! It's all about instilling those good habits early on so that they become second nature as they grow up. It's a great way to lay a strong foundation for their future too - understanding the effort and value that goes into earning money. Kids these days are so savvy, they pick things up quickly so may as well start them young and watch them grow confident in managing their pocket money!

Starting them young helps them develop good financial habits and an understanding of the concept of money, agree! It's amazing how quickly kids pick things up when we teach them about money. They can apply the lessons early on and build a strong foundation for their future too, well said!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Totally agree! Children are like sponges - they observe and replicate, especially when it comes to money. Giving them an allowance and helping them understand the value of money and what's involved in earning it will benefit them greatly as they get older. It's a great foundation for their future and also teaches them about patience, saving, and prioritising.

That's so true! Starting them young and teaching them financial literacy is a great way to set up children for success. It empowers them to understand that money doesn't just appear magically, and giving them an allowance lets them appreciate the effort that goes into earning. It's a great way to instill patience and a mindful approach towards saving and spending.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu