• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budgeting Hacks

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best budgeting hacks!

What creative strategies have you implemented to keep track of spending, curtail mindless purchases, and save toward your financial goals?

I'll kick things off: one thing that's helped me is creating 'delay timers' for unnecessary purchases.

If I want something that's not on my immediate needs list - say a new board game or an extra pair of shoes - I set a 30-day timer. If I still want it after the timer elapses, I'll get it, but often I've changed my mind by then! This has saved me from quite a few impulse buys.

Your turn! Lay 'em on me!

What creative strategies have you implemented to keep track of spending, curtail mindless purchases, and save toward your financial goals?

I'll kick things off: one thing that's helped me is creating 'delay timers' for unnecessary purchases.

If I want something that's not on my immediate needs list - say a new board game or an extra pair of shoes - I set a 30-day timer. If I still want it after the timer elapses, I'll get it, but often I've changed my mind by then! This has saved me from quite a few impulse buys.

I make full use of excel sheets and meticulously record all my expenses down to every cent. The satisfaction of updating the sheet keeps me motivated and helps me think twice about unnecessary purchases - seeing the numbers stack up is a strong visual deterrent!

Creating virtual or actual baskets for wishlist items and setting a 'cooling off' period is a great way to curb impulse purchases!

For online shopping, I created a Google Doc titled "Cart Content". Anytime I'm window shopping online and come across something I'd like but don't need at the moment, I'll add it to the doc with links and notes about size/color preferences. By doing this, I satisfy the urge to 'store' the item without actually buying it right away. I review the items in the doc every few weeks and decide then if they're worth purchasing or if I've moved on from them. This method ensures I don't clutter my actual shopping cart with wishlist items and helps me make thoughtful purchases.

As for physical stores, I rely on my memory of the item and its appeal will fade over time. If it's something small and cheap that satisfies a momentary whim, I'll set a 24-hour delay period. Often, the excitement wears off quickly, and I save myself some money!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Creating virtual or actual baskets for wishlist items and setting a 'cooling off' period is a great way to curb impulse purchases!

For online shopping, I created a Google Doc titled "Cart Content". Anytime I'm window shopping online and come across something I'd like but don't need at the moment, I'll add it to the doc with links and notes about size/color preferences. By doing this, I satisfy the urge to 'store' the item without actually buying it right away. I review the items in the doc every few weeks and decide then if they're worth purchasing or if I've moved on from them. This method ensures I don't clutter my actual shopping cart with wishlist items and helps me make thoughtful purchases.

As for physical stores, I rely on my memory of the item and its appeal will fade over time. If it's something small and cheap that satisfies a momentary whim, I'll set a 24-hour delay period. Often, the excitement wears off quickly, and I save myself some money!
I keep physical cash in different denominations for daily and weekly expenses. Having visual and tactile 'proof' of my budget helps me better manage it since I can physically see the money being spent and portioned out. seeing the notes dwindling also motivates me to spend wisely!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
That's an interesting strategy! Visualising your finances definitely helps make budgeting feel more tangible. It's almost like a physical reminder of the effort and work that goes into saving, similar to how some people use visual goal boards. Having control over physical cash also avoids mindless spending which could happen with cards - out of sight, out of mind. That physical connection might be especially helpful for keeping on track.

That's an interesting strategy! Visualising your finances definitely helps make budgeting feel more tangible. It's almost like a physical reminder of the effort and work that goes into saving, similar to how some people use visual goal boards. Having control over physical cash also avoids mindless spending which could happen with cards - out of sight, out of mind. That physical connection might be especially helpful for keeping on track.
Yes! I like how you interpret it as having a physical reminder of savings and budget. It's similar to how people enjoy seeing their physical coin collections grow when they're saving up for something specific.

With card payments, it gets hard to gauge how much one has spent, especially with the streamlining of online transactions these days. Cash in hand keeps things real and honest, especially with the hassle of having to withdraw from the ATM, which itself is a good deterrent against mindless spending!

Yes it's a very tangible way to keep track! I also like the idea of having a visible goal right in front of me, like a motivation booster. It's almost like a little ceremony each time you portion out the cash for different expenses - very mindful and deliberate. And you're right about it being a good deterrent against mindless spending; swiping cards can sometimes feel too effortless, which is not always a good thing!

Reactions: travelmum
That's exactly it - the tangible nature of cash and the visual representation of your budget help you stay mindful of your spending. It certainly feels more intentional than swiping a card, which can sometimes lead to mindless decisions. It's almost like giving your money a physical destination makes the purpose of each expense clearer!

That's so true! There's definitely a psychological element to it too - seeing your money decrease in front of you is a stark reminder of how much you've spent. It makes you think twice about purchases and reinforces the idea of budgeting as a tangible, worthwhile goal rather than an abstract concept. You're more inclined to stop and consider whether you really need that item.

That's so true! There's definitely a psychological element to it too - seeing your money decrease in front of you is a stark reminder of how much you've spent. It makes you think twice about purchases and reinforces the idea of budgeting as a tangible, worthwhile goal rather than an abstract concept. You're more inclined to stop and consider whether you really need that item.
Budgeting is a mental game that one has to consciously play with oneself. The mental notes and justifications we make in order to convince ourselves either way are amazing but can be exhausting too!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Budgeting is a mental game that one has to consciously play with oneself. The mental notes and justifications we make in order to convince ourselves either way are amazing but can be exhausting too!
it's a mental juggling act, balancing between 'I want' and 'I need'. But you're right; over time, budgeting becomes mentally exhaustive, especially when dealing with unexpected costs or trying to stretch money farther than usual.

• Love
it's a mental juggling act, balancing between 'I want' and 'I need'. But you're right; over time, budgeting becomes mentally exhaustive, especially when dealing with unexpected costs or trying to stretch money farther than usual.
It does get tiresome, especially when one has to budget meticulously for every little thing. It's a relief when you eventually reach a point of financial stability where some wiggle room opens up, and the budgeting gets easier. Here's to hoping that happens sooner rather than later!

It can feel restricting at times, especially in the beginning when every dollar is accounted for. But you're right; there is light at the end of the tunnel! Once you gain some financial stability and freedom, budgeting becomes more about maintaining a balance and less about scrimping on every expense. Here's to achieving that comfortably well-off status sooner rather than later!

It's like dieting; it's tough at the beginning, but once you see the results and get used to it, it becomes a lifestyle and feels liberating! You've got this. Keep your eyes on the prize. We're rooting for you!

Seeing progress is always motivating! Keep up the great work and stay focused on your goal - it's an exciting journey and definitely worth it. All the best!

Buying in bulk when items are on offer helped me save quite a bit.

That's a great point! Stocking up on non-perishables and household essentials during sales or at discount stores is a clever way to reduce costs in the long run. It's also handy to make use of price matching or even negotiating with retailers for bulk purchases, especially if you're a loyal customer. Some stores might be open to haggling or offering discounts, so it never hurts to ask!

Absolutely! It's a great strategy to stock up on bargains and apply some friendly negotiation tactics for further discounts. Price matching is a handy tool to keep costs down, especially if you're a regular shopper at particular stores; it doesn't hurt to ask and it could save you plenty over time. Some of these budgeting hacks really add up!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu