• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budget Savvy Parenting Hacks

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The discussion focused on sharing budget-friendly parenting tips that are both fun and educational for children. Parents suggested making homemade costumes, DIY board games, and upcycled toys, emphasizing creativity and resourcefulness. The importance of introducing children to libraries was highlighted as a great way to access free resources and reduce clutter at home. Several parents talked about making their own versions of sensory bins and gloop for kids' sensory play, using household items and cheap materials. Nature walks were recommended as an underrated, engaging activity that encourages curiosity and environmental appreciation. Additionally, several homemade snacks and drinks were shared, including DIY lemonade and popcorn, emphasizing the importance of involving children in food preparation. Overall, parents aim to foster imagination and creativity through affordable, fun activities and appreciate the benefits of reducing screen time.

I'm always on the lookout for ways to save money without sacrificing fun or quality, especially as a parent! Share your best ideas here for keeping the costs down while keeping the enjoyment and learning factor high!

Some of my favorite frugal finds include:

- DIY play dough made from flour, salt and water keeps the kids entertained for hours - plus it's safe to eat too!

- Instead of buying store-bought costumes, I love making them at home using old sheets and some fabric paint. My kids feel so proud wearing their unique outfits.

- Our local library has become our second home! We borrow books, movies, and even board games - it's like getting a fun package every week, and returning them keeps the clutter down too.

What are your top budget-friendly parenting tips that make your wallet AND your kids happy? Let's fill this thread with some awesome ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
I love the library idea! It's such a great way to introduce kids to different types of books and keep their minds curious and engaged.

Making our own toys and games at home is also a fun activity that saves money! We recently made our own DIY board game using an empty pizza box, some colored markers and some spare change as playing pieces. The kids loved it and it kept them occupied for quite a while.

Another hack is turning household chores into a game - like a scavenger hunt - to get the kids involved and make it more fun. Teaching them young about money and its value also prepares them for the real world, so it's a win-win when they learn to appreciate the effort that goes into earning those dollars!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
I reckon getting creative is the way to go! Making stuff from scratch is a great way to save money and have fun too. I love whipping up my own play dough for the kids - it's a super recipe and keeps' em occupied.

Store-bought costumes are so last season, man! I upcycle old clothes and use some imagination to create unique looks my kids love. We feel like heroes in our very own superhero capes made from dad's old t-shirts!

And you're absolutely spot on about the library - it's a treasure trove of free entertainment and knowledge! We make weekly trips to stock up on books and games, and it feels like an exciting adventure every time. Borrow, read, return, repeat!

Being resourceful is the way to go! Making DIY board games and crafts not only saves money but also encourages creativity and keeps the kids entertained.

Turning mundane chores into games is a brilliant way to make them enjoyable for the little ones and instilling some financial awareness early on is definitely a life skill they'll need growing up!

Being resourceful is the way to go! Making DIY board games and crafts not only saves money but also encourages creativity and keeps the kids entertained.

Turning mundane chores into games is a brilliant way to make them enjoyable for the little ones and instilling some financial awareness early on is definitely a life skill they'll need growing up!
Resourcefulness and creativity go a long way in saving costs without sacrificing fun. Agree about the chores-turned-games! Teaching financial awareness young is so important nowadays.

My personal go-to parenting hack for indoor activities is an at-home obstacle course! All you need are some pillows, sheets, and creative twists like a "laser" maze using those small red bean bags. Kids love creating and then navigating these imaginative courses - great way to keep them engaged and active without the costs of elaborate toys or equipment.

Resourcefulness and creativity go a long way in saving costs without sacrificing fun. Agree about the chores-turned-games! Teaching financial awareness young is so important nowadays.

My personal go-to parenting hack for indoor activities is an at-home obstacle course! All you need are some pillows, sheets, and creative twists like a "laser" maze using those small red bean bags. Kids love creating and then navigating these imaginative courses - great way to keep them engaged and active without the costs of elaborate toys or equipment.
Pillows and sheets can really be versatile! You can also create a hideaway fort with your little ones and tell stories or have a picnic indoors. A lot of fun can certainly be had without spending a fortune!

Yeah, it's quite amazing how creativity and a bit of effort can go a long way in saving money!

I love the obstacle course idea - very cool and cheap way to keep the little ones entertained while keeping them active. My tot would love the "laser" maze, haha!

Also want to shout-out to secondhand stores and markets for baby and kids' clothes/toys! It's amazing what you can find in good condition and at a fraction of the cost - and giving pre-loved items a new home is always nice.

Pillows and sheets can really be versatile! You can also create a hideaway fort with your little ones and tell stories or have a picnic indoors. A lot of fun can certainly be had without spending a fortune!
For sure, fort-making brings out the creativity in us! The possibilities are endless especially with the imagination of children and their love for make-believe.

I'd also recommend a sensory bin for sensory play - just some beans, rice, or even pasta can provide hours of entertainment if paired with some toys/items from around the house such as spoons, measuring cups, etc., and maybe some old containers for pouring and transferring. It's an engaging activity that doesn't have to cost a thing!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Yeah, it's quite amazing how creativity and a bit of effort can go a long way in saving money!

I love the obstacle course idea - very cool and cheap way to keep the little ones entertained while keeping them active. My tot would love the "laser" maze, haha!

Also want to shout-out to secondhand stores and markets for baby and kids' clothes/toys! It's amazing what you can find in good condition and at a fraction of the cost - and giving pre-loved items a new home is always nice.
Pre-loved finds are a treasure, especially for growing children who outgrow clothes and toys quickly! I remember finding some real gem pieces secondhand that became my daughter's favourites. It's also an eco-friendly way to save costs and reduce waste - win-win!

For sure, fort-making brings out the creativity in us! The possibilities are endless especially with the imagination of children and their love for make-believe.

I'd also recommend a sensory bin for sensory play - just some beans, rice, or even pasta can provide hours of entertainment if paired with some toys/items from around the house such as spoons, measuring cups, etc., and maybe some old containers for pouring and transferring. It's an engaging activity that doesn't have to cost a thing!
That's true, sensory play is a great way to keep them entertained without breaking the bank! You could even take it up a notch by getting some cheapo beans/rice/pasta from the dollar store & upcycle some old containers for added sensory fun without the guilt!

That's true, sensory play is a great way to keep them entertained without breaking the bank! You could even take it up a notch by getting some cheapo beans/rice/pasta from the dollar store & upcycle some old containers for added sensory fun without the guilt!
That's the spirit! I'm sure many parents will appreciate your hack of taking it up a notch without breaking the bank. Some colored pasta could add some extra fun too!

Any other ideas to contribute that are easy on the wallet yet enriching for our little ones?

That's the spirit! I'm sure many parents will appreciate your hack of taking it up a notch without breaking the bank. Some colored pasta could add some extra fun too!

Any other ideas to contribute that are easy on the wallet yet enriching for our little ones?
Nature walks are a great, underappreciated activity! Little ones love exploring different textures & sounds - like crunchy leaves, smooth rocks, or squishy mud. It's free, encourages curiosity, and tires them out for that all-important nap time too. Plus points for momma!

• Love
Reactions: nature and wellness
I'm all about the homemade costumes too! So much fun and way more unique than store-bought ones. And libraries are treasure troves full of entertainment - it's amazing how many resources they provide for free!

One of my other go-to budget hacks is making my own baby food. It's so easy to whip up a big batch, and you know exactly what your little one's getting. Plus, the leftovers can be frozen for later. I just mash up some cooked veggies or fruits - carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas - and store them in small portions. Quick, healthy, and cheap!

Another trick is turning household junk into fun toys. Save those plastic milk or juice containers, wash them out, and you've got instant building blocks for some serious tower-stacking fun! Kids seem to love the quirkiness of it too. And when it comes to gifts, I wrap up books from the secondhand store - loads of cool stories waiting to be discovered, and they hardly look used.

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Agree with you on secondhand stores! They're treasure troves of awesome finds, especially for kids' stuff which tend to be in good condition after minimal use. And yes, making DIY games is a great way to foster creativity and save money too. Love the scavenger hunt idea for keeping things fun and engaging!

And nature walks are underrated! Exploring simple pleasures like hunting for cool sticks or pretty rocks is free entertainment, and teaches kids to appreciate the environment too. Plus, it's a great excuse to take a break from screens!

My toddler loves sensory play, so I often whip up a batch of homemade gloop - it's just shaving foam and white glue! Kept in the fridge, it can last up to 2 weeks, and the little one enjoys messing about with different textures.

I also keep a stash of old Amazon boxes, which we decorate to become castles, houses, or rockets. Kids get so creative cutting and sticking, and I love how it encourages imaginative play!

Another staple in our home is homemade lemonade. Lemon juice, water, and a bit of honey - the kids go wild over it, especially on hot days. It's a fun alternative to store-bought drinks, and they can help prep it too!

I'm all about the homemade costumes too! Way more fun than store-bought ones, and kids love the hype of showing off their creative outfits to their friends.

Also can't go past the good old DIY arts and crafts entertainment. We save so much money by rummaging through our craft box and coming up with creative ways to repurpose everyday items - toilet rolls, egg cartons, you name it! Kids learn best through play and it's amazing what they come up with using their imaginations.

Our go-to frugal family fun is definitely movie night at home. We snuggle up together with some comfy blankets, make some homemade popcorn and watch a feel good movie under the stars . Such a cheap but memorable way to end the week!

Reactions: wellness
I think old stuff like boxes are the best! I remember making race cars out of them when I was a kid. My mom would keep those big plastic cups that came with takeouts - the kind that stack up really easily. We'd spend hours washing and drying them, then using markers to make them look all fancy. They were our little boats for water play too!

You've also reminded me that I should hit up the library more. It's a great way to keep costs down, especially with how fast kids go through books!

Wah, I really appreciate all the awesome ideas shared here! So many great minds thinking alike!

I love the costume idea especially because it gives a very personal touch and the kids get to showcase their creativity too. And yep, libraries are really underrated gem for parents - it's like free entertainment and education rolled into one!

I also like making DIY arts and crafts kits with the kids using stuff around the house. We recently made our own paints from flour, water and food coloring, and it kept the little ones occupied for quite some time. And of course, the satisfaction of creating something from scratch is invaluable!

Another simple yet satisfying one is making our own ice lollies. The kids help mix the fruit purees or cordials, pour them into molds, and voila - a tasty treat is born! Great for hot days when you want to offer something refreshing without breaking the bank.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu