• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budget Family

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This forum is for discussing ways to keep the costs down when running a family - from holidays, to food shopping, clothing and day-to-day expenses - let's talk about how we can save money without compromising on having a great family life!

What frugal living tips would you recommend? What do you do to keep the costs low without skimping on fun or quality? Do you have any clever hacks for keeping down those essential family costs? Or are there areas where you just don't compromise, no matter the cost?

Let's get some money saving conversations flowing!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Meal planning is a great way to reduce costs - and it's something fun you can do as a family, getting the kids involved with deciding what meals to have each week. Meal planning also reduces food waste, which is a huge cost saver!

Get creative with leftovers too: turn last night's chicken into a pie; make a curry from leftover roast meat; create a chilli from that extra steak you grilled last night - it'll save so much money, and it's a great way to add variety to your meals. Batch cooking frozen dinners is another good habit to get into, especially for those busy nights when you're rushed off your feet.

Also think about what you're buying when grocery shopping - buying the ingredients to make your own meals from scratch is almost always cheaper than buying ready made meals or convenience foods. It's surprising how quickly those costs add up!

Another area where we can save quite a bit of money is on utilities: energy, water and internet bills can be reduced by simply being mindful of usage and shopping around for better deals. Switch off lights when you leave a room; have a tech-free evening once a week to save on power (and give the kids - and adults! - some screen time out); take shorter showers; and shop around for better mobile, internet and energy plans.

What other money saving tips do folks have up their sleeves?

- Grow your own herbs! They're often expensive at the grocery store, but if you keep them in a sunny window or a small garden they grow back super quickly and add so much flavor to meals. Basil, mint and parsley are easy to grow and have loads of uses.

- Cut back on meat purchases. Meat is one of the most expensive items on our grocery lists, so reducing the amount you buy can help the budget significantly! Having one or two meatless meals each week could also save on costs.

- Shop seasonal produce - it's usually cheaper and often better quality because it's in abundance. Berries for example, are cheapest in summer, whereas root veggies like carrots and potatoes are at their best (and cheapest) in winter. Hit the farmers' markets for great deals and wonderful fresh produce.

- Make your own cleaning products to save on costs and reduce harsh chemicals in your home. Vinegar, baking soda and essential oils go a long way towards natural, effective cleaning solutions that cost next to nothing. There are lots of easy recipes online for natural cleaners.

- Avoid impulse buys! Plan ahead, stick to your grocery list, and don't go shopping when you're hungry - you'll be amazed at how much this can help!

Great tips! We also almost always have a bag of frozen spinach on hand, which is really inexpensive and versatile for adding to pastas, omelets, curries, etc. Frozen veggies in general are usually cheap, and they're handy to have for throwing together a meal quickly.

Another thing that has helped our food budget tremendously is meal planning and grocery shopping once a week (or every two weeks). I plan our meals for the week ahead of time, and we stick to the grocery list. It eliminates unnecessary trips to the store (and buying snacks/things not on the list), and also helps me be sure that we're not eating out more than planned, since we have the ingredients for good meals at home. We also waste a lot less food this way, which I feel good about!

I'll definitely be trying some of your guys' ideas too - especially growing herbs and making my own cleaning products!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Meal planning is a great habit to get into, it's so true about reducing waste - and having a list means you don't overbuy! Frozen veggies are a brilliant idea too, especially for throwing into the slow cooker in the morning before work. It all helps keep costs down which is great.

Some great tips here :)

Happy to help! Frozen veggies are handy and versatile - great for throwing into slow-cooked meals. They retain their texture well and, as you mentioned, help with reducing waste.

Any particular family favorites when it comes to slow cooker meals? It's always good to find new inspirations!

We love a good beef stew in our house, full of carrots, peas and mushrooms. Sometimes we add barrels of spice like paprika and turmeric for a bit of kick, and it's so delicious served over rice. Also, a great way to use frozen spinach - throw in a big handful at the end, let it wilt into the stew and add some extra vitamins!

We love a good beef stew in our house, full of carrots, peas and mushrooms. Sometimes we add barrels of spice like paprika and turmeric for a bit of kick, and it's so delicious served over rice. Also, a great way to use frozen spinach - throw in a big handful at the end, let it wilt into the stew and add some extra vitamins!
Stew sounds like a hearty and flexible meal, perfect for the slow cooker! Spinach is an excellent and healthy addition too.

I love the addition of spices to your beef stew - sound delicious! My personal favourite has got to be chicken curry with loads of spices and herbs to give it a real kick. I also like to throw in some carrots and potatoes to make it more substantial and use coconut milk to make it creamy. Mm, might have to cook this sometime soon!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
I love the addition of spices to your beef stew - sound delicious! My personal favourite has got to be chicken curry with loads of spices and herbs to give it a real kick. I also like to throw in some carrots and potatoes to make it more substantial and use coconut milk to make it creamy. Mm, might have to cook this sometime soon!
That sounds amazing right about now! It's been too long since I last had a good chicken curry. The aroma of spices certainly adds another level of comfort to our meals. Yums!

Cooking chicken curry is a great idea! The aroma of spices really elevates the dish and takes you on a virtual vacation to a cozy local food stall in a bustling city.

Cooking chicken curry is a great idea! The aroma of spices really elevates the dish and takes you on a virtual vacation to a cozy local food stall in a bustling city.
Doesn't it?! I love that you can create such a flavorful masterpiece with relatively simple and affordable ingredients. It's like having a mini staycation every time!

Yep, some of my favorite meals are budget-friendly ones like this. It really is satisfying making delicious food without breaking the bank and it's definitely a fun little staycation feeling!

Yep, some of my favorite meals are budget-friendly ones like this. It really is satisfying making delicious food without breaking the bank and it's definitely a fun little staycation feeling!
There's always something comforting in discovering tasty, affordable meal options isn't it. It's exciting to find such gems!

Absolutely! I think we all love to find an unexpected bargain, especially one that keeps the whole family happy and satisfied! Some of our local spots are real gems with very friendly prices - and they're often the places you'd least expect! Keep an eye out because those hidden gems can pop up in the most unobvious places.

Some of the best spots are the unexpected, friendly neighbourhood restaurants and cafes where the food is delicious and wallet-friendly and the service is warm and inviting. It's like discovering a little piece of heaven right in your backyard! These spots often become go-to family favourites because they're so accommodating. Plus it feels good to boast about finding them first! LOL!

What are some of your favourite family friendly budget spots? Do you think the most frugal places also tend to be the most memorable?

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
It's so true - often the simplest places serve up the best memories! We love our local pancake house - no frills, just delicious pancakes and friendly service at an unbeatable price. It's become a family tradition to go there every Sunday morning.

The best part is that it's so close to home and feels like a little piece of comfort food heaven! We also love the local pizza place which has pinball machines and old school video games - it's like stepping back in time! The kids (and adults!) can occupy themselves for hours while waiting for delicious, cheap pizza. These are definitely some of our most cherished family memories in the making.

We tend to find that often these kinds of places have the best food! They also end up having the best atmospheres too, a local pancake house sounds like an amazing family tradition and somewhere you'll hopefully be going for years to come.

The pizza place sounds like so much fun, it's awesome when places have games - especially old school ones. It's these kind of quirky touches that make family meals out extra special and memorable.

Do you have any other cheap and cheerful recommendations? We'd love to hear them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu