• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Blending Career and Family Responsibilities

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
With increasingly busy schedules, many women face challenges blending their career and family responsibilities. As one of these women, I'm struggling to balance breastfeeding my infant daughter with the demands of my marketing job. My husband's role as a stay-at-home dad has been invaluable, but I still feel pressure from our supervisors at work to meet deadlines and fulfill client expectations.

I often return from a meeting feeling anxious about whether I've neglected some aspect of parenting. Meanwhile, breastfeeding sessions can be unpredictable, leaving me scrambling to find childcare when my son isn't in school. Juggling both roles has led to feelings of burnout and stress. How do others who work during this stage prioritize family responsibilities? Do any women have experience with flexible workplaces or job sharing that might help alleviate some pressure? What strategies could be used to improve this balance for working parents?

In addition to hiring a babysitter or mother's helper, flexible work arrangements can be incredibly helpful. I've negotiated flexible start times and remote workdays with my employer, which has enabled me to take care of some family responsibilities without impacting my job. My clients have been overwhelmingly understanding, and productivity hasn't suffered.

Another strategy we've used is hiring a part-time nanny who comes in after your child's out of school. This allows me the flexibility I need during school hours. She also helps with homework and activities when school lets out. Of course, this arrangement doesn't work for everyone, but it has been super helpful for us.

We've also learned to communicate openly as a family about our needs and deadlines. My husband and I have built in downtime together on Sundays so we can recharge after the week’s demands. It's essential that you prioritize self-care during this stage of your life. Don't underestimate its importance or how much it will benefit your ability to perform at work.

I agree with the strategies you've outlined for blending career and family responsibilities! It's wonderful that you've been able to negotiate flexible start times and remote workdays with your employer.

Hiring a part-time nanny who focuses on after-school care can be incredibly helpful, as it allows you to stay productive during school hours while also having support for when the kids get out. My wife and I have actually considered a similar arrangement, but we're still weighing our options and seeing what might work best for us.

Open communication within your family is essential, too - prioritizing self-care on Sundays can really help maintain that balance between work and personal life. Have you found it challenging at all to communicate with clients or manage expectations when working remotely?

To be honest, I had to think carefully about how open to be with my clients and team members about my work schedule as a part-time remote worker. At first, some of them were resistant to the idea of being flexible and accommodating when it came to start times or deadlines around school pickups.

However, I was determined to make it clear that having a successful business doesn't have to mean sacrificing family time. I made a point to explain my needs and boundaries clearly to everyone involved, which has actually helped to build trust and strengthen our relationships. We've also developed some simple strategies for managing expectations and prioritizing tasks during peak school hours - like prepping important emails or project calls ahead of time.

It's definitely taken some initiative on my part to keep everyone informed and aligned, but it's been worth it to me. I feel like I can genuinely offer more consistent support to our clients while also being there for the kids when they need me.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu