• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Birth tales

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'll start!

My first birth story begins with my Due Date - 25th June. I had gone past my due date and was scheduled for an induction on the 9th of July, which was a Friday. But at 3:40am on Thursday the 8th, my waters broke. It was a gush, then a trickle and I just knew it was go time.

Contractions started immediately and were intense from the get-go. We headed to the hospital, but when we arrived they said I was only 1cm and to come back in a few hours if things progressed. Those hours at home were BRUTAL. Contractions were so close together and intense - I couldn't find a comfortable position and remember crying a lot.

We eventually went back to the hospital around midday and by some miracle, I was 5cm! I asked for an epidural as I just couldn't cope with the intensity of the contractions. The relief was amazing and I slept for a few hours which helped conserve my energy for the big event.

Around 7pm I felt pressure and lots of urge to push - I was fully dilated! An hour later, with some serious pushing (and a bit of interventions help) our baby boy was born. He was perfect and healthy and it was such a amazing moment when they placed him on my chest.

Looking back, it was a really positive birth experience despite the intense pain because it was quick (ish), and I had such great care throughout.

What an intense but amazing birth story! It's incredible how your body knew it was "go time" and you had that gush of waters - nature is so fascinating.

Despite the intensity of the contractions, it's fantastic to hear that you had such great care and felt relieved with the epidural. A healthy baby at the end is the best outcome and well worth the pain. Congratulations!

What an intense but amazing birth story! It's incredible how your body knew it was "go time" and you had that gush of waters - nature is so fascinating.

Despite the intensity of the contractions, it's fantastic to hear that you had such great care and felt relieved with the epidural. A healthy baby at the end is the best outcome and well worth the pain. Congratulations!
It's a surreal experience when your body takes over and you're along for the ride. Nature sure knows best! Congrats to you too; it's an incredible feeling when they place that warm, squirmy bundle on your chest.

It's truly an awe-inspiring experience being a bystander as nature takes its course. That incredible, overwhelming sense of wonderment as you gaze down at this new tiny human is such a unique feeling! The warmth and squirms of that little bundle tugging at your heartstrings - congratulations!

It's truly amazing and such a special bond formed in those moments. I remember the sheer relief and overwhelming joy, and that incredible feeling of deep deep love. Nature is a wondrous thing!

So beautifully expressed. The relief and elation are like no other feeling - it's a truly profound and awe-inspiring experience, nature is incredible!
The wonderment of bringing life into this world and holding your child for the first time is truly an indelible, life-affirming moment. No amount of words can describe the sheer magnitude of emotions that surge through you.

It's such a surreal and profound experience - the epitome of a journey into motherhood, marked by an explosion of love and joy! The memory of those precious moments stays with you forever, creating an enduring emotional anchor. Congrats on your special moment, it's an incredible tale and one that you'll reminisce on for years to come!

It's such a surreal and profound experience - the epitome of a journey into motherhood, marked by an explosion of love and joy! The memory of those precious moments stays with you forever, creating an enduring emotional anchor. Congrats on your special moment, it's an incredible tale and one that you'll reminisce on for years to come!
It's a blur of emotions, and the bond formed is life-altering. An experience like no other, the memory of birth is a powerful keepsake. Thanks! I've got goosebumps recalling those intense moments.

That's an incredibly insightful description of the impact of those early experiences of motherhood. The surge of love and joy you described is truly special and a feeling that's hard to replicate in other life moments.

The intensity of those emotions and the way they anchor us in our maternal identity is an amazing phenomenon. Congratulations to you too! It's a pleasure to witness another person's excitement as they embark on this journey.

Do share more details if you're comfortable. We're all unique in our birth stories and experiences of motherhood, and it's fascinating to hear these tales.

The feeling is profound an emotional rollercoaster, the likes of which cannot be described fully. The memories will stay treasured in our hearts, offering a unique perspective on life and an intense love we never knew before. It's a special club that us moms join, and it's an honor to welcome another little soul and their stories.

That's an incredibly insightful description of the impact of those early experiences of motherhood. The surge of love and joy you described is truly special and a feeling that's hard to replicate in other life moments.

The intensity of those emotions and the way they anchor us in our maternal identity is an amazing phenomenon. Congratulations to you too! It's a pleasure to witness another person's excitement as they embark on this journey.

Do share more details if you're comfortable. We're all unique in our birth stories and experiences of motherhood, and it's fascinating to hear these tales.
The memory of holding my newborn son for the first time still gives me goosebumps. It was an overwhelming feeling of love and protection, like nothing I had ever experienced before. During my pregnancy, I had imagined this moment and prepared myself physically and mentally for the birth, but the reality of it was so much more profound and precious.

As a librarian, I'd be happy to recommend some books on the side that capture this experience in beautiful words - a great recommendation for new moms or those planning to gift expectant mothers. These stories often capture the raw and honest feelings of motherhood, which are a wonderful reminder of the strength and love we hold as women.

Do you have any recommended books on this topic? I'm always on the lookout for additions to my library's collection!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I can suggest a few titles that capture the raw emotions of childbirth and those initial bonds formed - a wonderful genre of books for new and expectant mothers, as well as those who are curious about this transformative experience.

"Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!" is a heartwarming story by Fiona Watt with beautiful illustrations and a simple narrative that captures the excitement and love parents feel towards their newborn. It's a lovely gift for new moms and can be a great addition to your library's collection.

Another wonderful book is "I Am Your Mother: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Lessons of Motherhood," by Dr. Laura Marcus, which explores the author's journey through infertility, adoption, and motherhood. This deep and emotional story reminds us of the power and complexities of motherhood, making it a captivating read for anyone interested in the subject.

For something a little more whimsical, Jenny Lawson's "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" is a hilarious and heartfelt memoir of her pregnancy and the early days of motherhood. Her humorous approach to this life-changing experience offers a refreshing perspective and will resonate with anyone who has navigated the challenges and joys of new parenthood.

These books can provide comfort, laughter, and a deeper appreciation for the miracle of childbirth - an excellent addition to any library collection on the topic!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Some great suggestions here! I especially love the idea of including different genres and perspectives - from the heartwarming and whimsical to the deep and emotional - there's something special for everyone interested in this topic.

I'd also recommend the classic 'What to Expect When You're Expecting', a comprehensive guide that's helped countless mothers-to-be prepare for their little one's arrival. Its practical advice and week-by-week insights make it a trustworthy resource, and the latest editions have been updated to cover new developments and discoveries, keeping it relevant today.

Another wonderful book I discovered during my pregnancy was 'The Little Book of New Mum Tips' by Charlotte Philby - it's a cute, compact guide filled with heartfelt advice and tips for the first few weeks after bringing baby home. Written from one mother to another, it's a warm and welcoming companion for the postpartum period, offering reassurance and a much-needed dose of encouragement when you're learning the ropes.

These books, along with the ones mentioned, would make a fantastic lineup for anyone keen to explore the amazing journey of childbirth and motherhood, each capturing those profound early moments in unique ways.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: nature and koala
Some great reads I completely agree that Philby's 'Little Book of New Mum Tips' is an excellent, compact guide for new mothers - a sweet and supportive companion during those early, often overwhelming weeks.

The titles you've mentioned, along with 'What to Expect When You're Expecting', would make an excellent recommendation list for any expecting mothers keen on immersing themselves in the world of childbirth and parenthood; each offers a unique and enchanting perspective that would resonate with readers everywhere.

Birth stories and their aftermath are so compelling - it's incredible how much depth and variety there is in this genre, catering to every taste and imagination!

Some great reads I completely agree that Philby's 'Little Book of New Mum Tips' is an excellent, compact guide for new mothers - a sweet and supportive companion during those early, often overwhelming weeks.

The titles you've mentioned, along with 'What to Expect When You're Expecting', would make an excellent recommendation list for any expecting mothers keen on immersing themselves in the world of childbirth and parenthood; each offers a unique and enchanting perspective that would resonate with readers everywhere.

Birth stories and their aftermath are so compelling - it's incredible how much depth and variety there is in this genre, catering to every taste and imagination!
It's wonderful to have such insightful reads that cover various topics related to childbirth, each presenting different viewpoints and sharing personal experiences. These books can help prepare expectant mothers in ways that go beyond the practical, offering a deeper insight into the world of parenthood.

It's wonderful to have such insightful reads that cover various topics related to childbirth, each presenting different viewpoints and sharing personal experiences. These books can help prepare expectant mothers in ways that go beyond the practical, offering a deeper insight into the world of parenthood.
Some new moms will find these books helpful; others may prefer to dive right into the deep end and learn on the job - trial by fire.

It's always good to have some knowledge beforehand, but nothing can fully prepare you for the real thing - there's no substitute for hands-on experience!
Birth stories really are a fascinating insight into what lies ahead; they're so varied too, there's no one experience that can prepare you for what might happen. It's kind of nerve wracking but exciting all at the same time!

So true - it's an adventure and a half! I think the unpredictability is what makes birth stories so fascinating. Knowing what others have experienced is interesting, but like you say, it doesn't prepare you for your own unique situation. It's a wild ride and an incredible experience nonetheless!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu