• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Birth tales

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your birth stories here!

Whether you're looking to share the tale of your first baby's dramatic entrance into the world, a quick and easy birth or even an adoption story - we want to hear about it! The ups, the downs, the funny moments and everything in-between; this is the place for all things birth related.

So grab some tea and get comfy, let's hear your unique stories!

My first child's birth was quite an adventure. It started with a relatively quick labor - my water broke at 3am and we headed to the hospital soon after, but despite contractions coming thick and fast, progress stalled.

After 14 hours of labor, I wasn't dilating as expected and the poor baby was showing signs of distress. The decision was made to perform an emergency c-section, which was quite a scare given the risks and unknowns.

The operating room was a whirlwind of activity - an intense but brief procedure. And then, finally, our little girl arrived! She didn't cry at first, which was terrifying, but after some stimulation, she let out a lusty wail. It remains the most incredible sound I've ever heard.

She's now a lively three-year-old - full of beans and personality - and her birth, though tricky, was worth every moment. An unforgettable experience!

My first child's birth was quite an adventure. It started with a relatively quick labor - my water broke at 3am and we headed to the hospital soon after, but despite contractions coming thick and fast, progress stalled.

After 14 hours of labor, I wasn't dilating as expected and the poor baby was showing signs of distress. The decision was made to perform an emergency c-section, which was quite a scare given the risks and unknowns.

The operating room was a whirlwind of activity - an intense but brief procedure. And then, finally, our little girl arrived! She didn't cry at first, which was terrifying, but after some stimulation, she let out a lusty wail. It remains the most incredible sound I've ever heard.

She's now a lively three-year-old - full of beans and personality - and her birth, though tricky, was worth every moment. An unforgettable experience!
That's quite the dramatic entrance for your little one! It's amazing how these intense moments shape our lives and leave such strong memories.

Was there anything that helped you keep calm during the emergency or that you did to prepare for the birth? I'm thinking methods like meditation, hypnobirth techniques, or simply having a supportive partner. Or did you just go into it blindly, which is a brave feat in itself!

I've heard that regardless of the birth plan, most parents end up with an entirely different experience. Would love to hear more stories and the various twists and turns that life throws at us!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's quite the dramatic entrance for your little one! It's amazing how these intense moments shape our lives and leave such strong memories.

Was there anything that helped you keep calm during the emergency or that you did to prepare for the birth? I'm thinking methods like meditation, hypnobirth techniques, or simply having a supportive partner. Or did you just go into it blindly, which is a brave feat in itself!

I've heard that regardless of the birth plan, most parents end up with an entirely different experience. Would love to hear more stories and the various twists and turns that life throws at us!
Having a supportive partner definitely helped me stay calm, especially during the long wait in labor. We had prepared for a natural water birth with some hypnobirth techniques and mindfulness practices, which I think helped me manage the pain and uncertainty.

But yes, going into it, I think I was fairly naive, to be honest. I think that's probably a good thing - I didn't have any specific expectations or a detailed birth plan, so when things changed and we needed the c-section, I dealt with it as best as I could.

I've heard others share their horror stories of long, drawn-out labor too, which can be quite terrifying! Luckily, everything turned out okay in the end, and I'm sure other parents can relate to the unexpected twists birth can bring. It's a wild ride!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
That's great that you had such a supportive partner and that the hypnobirth and mindfulness practices helped you - it sounds like you were well-prepared!

It's a good attitude to go in without too many expectations, as you said; births can be so unpredictable. It's awesome that despite the change of plan with the c-section, you managed to stay calm and focused.

The unknowns of birth are certainly terrifying when you think about them - I'm glad everything worked out for you! What a wild experience.

It's true - the unpredictability of birth became very apparent during my experience! I'm so grateful for the mindfulness practices because they helped me stay grounded and composed regardless of the situation changing so quickly.

Having a supportive partner really helps to ease those terrors of the unknown too, so I feel very fortunate in that aspect as well. It certainly was a wild experience - one that I'll always look back on with a sense of achievement, despite (or maybe because of) its craziness!

It's true - the unpredictability of birth became very apparent during my experience! I'm so grateful for the mindfulness practices because they helped me stay grounded and composed regardless of the situation changing so quickly.

Having a supportive partner really helps to ease those terrors of the unknown too, so I feel very fortunate in that aspect as well. It certainly was a wild experience - one that I'll always look back on with a sense of achievement, despite (or maybe because of) its craziness!
The sense of achievement after going through such an intense experience sounds very well-deserved! You mentioned looking back on the experience - was there anything that made you smile or laugh, remembering the whole saga? Any funny moments amidst the seriousness, now that some time has passed?

Most definitely! My husband and I still chuckle about how calm and collective I was throughout - the nurses kept commenting on it.

I remember one of them saying, "You're like an old pro at this! We should have some first-time moms come in here and learn a thing or two from you." Meanwhile, inside I was screaming, but maintaining that poker face helped keep my anxiety at bay!

Also, towards the end when things got really intense, my husband kept trying to encourage me with phrases like, "You're doing amazing!" which would make me roll my eyes. In between contractions, I'd give him an exasperated look and say, "I'm not amazing; this is literally what my body was made for!"

Looking back, it's those little moments that crack me up - the absurdity of it all when the pain was so intense, finding joy in my sassy comebacks, and remembering the looks on the nurses' faces. They must have found it amusing too because they'd sometimes glance at each other, clearly entertained by our banter amidst the madness. Birth is such a surreal experience!

Reactions: wellness and wisdom
What a great perspective you had, keeping your anxiety at bay with that poker face! And I love your sassy comebacks - definitely some hilarious memories to look back on now. The way you centred yourself and found calm amidst the madness is inspiring. Birth certainly is an intense and surreal experience - your story is a reminder of the strength and perspective we can draw from within during those intense moments.

What a great perspective you had, keeping your anxiety at bay with that poker face! And I love your sassy comebacks - definitely some hilarious memories to look back on now. The way you centred yourself and found calm amidst the madness is inspiring. Birth certainly is an intense and surreal experience - your story is a reminder of the strength and perspective we can draw from within during those intense moments.
Not all heroes wear capes. Some wear hospital gowns.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Pyjamas, in my case! I had an emergency c section after a 40 hour labour and although the birth didn’t go as we’d hoped the outcome was the best possible one. It's such a surreal experience, being cut open while wide awake and feeling everything but unable to see what’s going on. The relief when they lift your new tiny person up and they cry is immense. We spent 10 days in hospital as my son had jaundice and feeding issues, it was so hard being separated from my toddler - who also ended up in hospital with pneumonia - but I focused on the fact that at least we were all together, getting the best possible care. It’s taken me a while to process the birth, it wasn’t the magical experience some people describe but neither was it a tragedy. It just 'was', and now here we are 8 months later happy and healthy!

• Love
Reactions: koala
What a frightening yet ultimately heartwarming tale! I'm so glad to hear you're all doing well now, and hope your toddler's recovery was swift. It sounds like you took an extremely difficult situation in your stride and focused on the positives - what a great mindset to have!

Thank you so much! We're all doing well now, it's amazing how resilient kids can be. The whole experience definitely puts things into perspective and I'm just glad everyone's healthy and happy now :)

Thank you so much! We're all doing well now, it's amazing how resilient kids can be. The whole experience definitely puts things into perspective and I'm just glad everyone's healthy and happy now :)
It's wonderful that your family is doing great and that everyone remained healthy in the end despite the scary circumstances. Your toddler's resilience and quick recovery is remarkable!

What you said about gaining perspective from such experiences speaks loudly; it is often in these trying times that we discover our strength and adaptability. It's a reminder of the human condition and our incredible capacity to navigate the unknown.

The memories of giving birth, though intense and not necessarily 'magical,' can be looked back upon fondly when we focus on the positives and the incredible outcome.

Thank you so much for your kind words! The experience definitely shook me awake to the resilience lying dormant within me - it's comforting, yet also exhilarating, to know that we're capable of rising above seemingly daunting challenges.

You're so right about gaining perspective; there's something primal and deeply humbling about bringing new life into this world, and the entire journey is a chaotic blur of emotions and sensations. Despite the frightening turn our birth story took, I look back on it with a sense of awe and wonder at what our bodies can accomplish - and the miracle of a healthy outcome.

It's a special kind of nostalgia, remembering those intense moments, exhausting yet exhilarating all at once. The memories will forever be etched in my mind, a testament to the incredible strength held within every woman. I'm so glad we can share these unique birth tales and appreciate the beauty amidst the chaos!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Thank you so much for your kind words! The experience definitely shook me awake to the resilience lying dormant within me - it's comforting, yet also exhilarating, to know that we're capable of rising above seemingly daunting challenges.

You're so right about gaining perspective; there's something primal and deeply humbling about bringing new life into this world, and the entire journey is a chaotic blur of emotions and sensations. Despite the frightening turn our birth story took, I look back on it with a sense of awe and wonder at what our bodies can accomplish - and the miracle of a healthy outcome.

It's a special kind of nostalgia, remembering those intense moments, exhausting yet exhilarating all at once. The memories will forever be etched in my mind, a testament to the incredible strength held within every woman. I'm so glad we can share these unique birth tales and appreciate the beauty amidst the chaos!
It's empowering to discover our inner strength, which often shows up in those daunting challenges you mentioned. You've nailed it - the nostalgia rooted in the wonder of witnessing the human body accomplishing extraordinary feats, despite the challenges faced in bringing life into this world. That is a beautiful insight that many women can relate to, a silent tribute to their strength.

Absolutely! There's a deep sense of awe and respect for what the female body can endure and achieve during childbirth - it's a powerful reminder of our resilience. It's an incredible, often underrated strength, and an experience that binds women together across generations. That raw power is such a unique aspect of womanhood and one to be celebrated!

Absolutely! There's a deep sense of awe and respect for what the female body can endure and achieve during childbirth - it's a powerful reminder of our resilience. It's an incredible, often underrated strength, and an experience that binds women together across generations. That raw power is such a unique aspect of womanhood and one to be celebrated!
There's an unspoken bond between women who've experienced childbirth - an understanding that goes beyond words. The pride we feel in our strength during such a monumental moment is worthy of celebration.

There's an unspoken bond between women who've experienced childbirth - an understanding that goes beyond words. The pride we feel in our strength during such a monumental moment is worthy of celebration.
It is a feeling of empowerment that's hard to explain to those who haven't shared the experience. Like a secret society of womanhood, it's a powerful reminder that we're capable of overcoming this huge challenge. And you're right; it creates an unspoken sisterhood among women, something to be cherished and celebrated!

Absolutely! It is a special type of strength that comes from enduring and overcoming the challenges of birth - a rite of passage that unites women everywhere. The sense of accomplishment and pride in our bodies' capabilities creates an unspoken bond, a silent nod of understanding and respect between mothers. It's a powerful thing indeed!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu