• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Birth Stories Thread New Life

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Bananarama shares the story of their latest child, Amelia's, birth which started with a scheduled induction but quickly took an unexpected turn due to her footling presentation. After a tense 45 minutes of external version maneuvers, the baby was repositioned and eventually born healthy after a long but relatively smooth delivery. Techsavvy, sunnydays, and other commenters congratulate bananarama and share their own experiences with high-risk pregnancies, close calls, and the rollercoaster emotions of bringing new life into the world. They agree it's a relief when everything eventually turns out alright and appreciate the uniqueness of every pregnancy journey.

New Life

3 days ago my wife gave birth to our beautiful daughter, Amelia. Her pregnancy was relatively easy and went by smoothly without any issues, which was a relief after having quite a difficult time with our son's birth 2 years prior.

As her due date came and went, we scheduled an induction for the following morning. We arrived at the hospital early that day; however, as soon as they checked her, they realized Amelia was in a footling presentation (her feet were first) and therefore much too high up for them to begin an induction. They said it would be safer to send us to another hospital nearby that had a NICU on-site (our hospital didn't have one) just in case, as sometimes footling presentations can lead to distress and an emergency c-section is needed.

So off we went in a flurry of activity - more checks, monitors, and discussions about the increased risk of infection due to the position of the baby. The doctor said that they'd likely need to perform a c-section, but wanted to try to shift the baby into the correct position first. After 45 minutes of external version maneuvers (which felt like forever), success! Amelia had flipped into the right spot.

From there, things progressed relatively quickly. My wife requested an epidural in case a c-section became necessary; it also helped to ease the pain of contractions as they tried to get her dilated and ready for birth. After 12 hours of labor, Amelia finally made her appearance - an 8lb 3oz bundle of joy! She's perfectly healthy, and aside from being a bit squished from her footling presentation, didn't need any time in the NICU.

I'm overjoyed that our little family of four is now a family of five, and this little one seems to fit right in seamlessly, despite the rocky start!

Wow, that's quite the adventure! But everything worked out in the end, and that's what matters most. You must be so relieved that your wife and baby are doing well after that rocky start. Big congratulations on your new addition! Amelia is a lucky girl to have such a concerned parent.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Wow, that's quite the adventure! But everything worked out in the end, and that's what matters most. You must be so relieved that your wife and baby are doing well after that rocky start. Big congratulations on your new addition! Amelia is a lucky girl to have such a concerned parent.
Lucky you! Your wife's easy pregnancy and that smooth delivery without complications - so different from your previous experience - is something many mums only dream of. That external version maneuver sounds scary though; must have been a tense 45 minutes! But yeah, all's well that ends well.

Lucky you! Your wife's easy pregnancy and that smooth delivery without complications - so different from your previous experience - is something many mums only dream of. That external version maneuver sounds scary though; must have been a tense 45 minutes! But yeah, all's well that ends well.
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we're so grateful everything went off without a hitch this time round. You're right - the waiting and uncertainty during the external version attempt was brutal, but the relief when it worked was immense. I'm still buzzed from the adrenaline rush! Haha. Now that it's all over and Amelia's here safe and sound, the whole ordeal seems like an exciting adventure.

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we're so grateful everything went off without a hitch this time round. You're right - the waiting and uncertainty during the external version attempt was brutal, but the relief when it worked was immense. I'm still buzzed from the adrenaline rush! Haha. Now that it's all over and Amelia's here safe and sound, the whole ordeal seems like an exciting adventure.
You seem to have a lot of experience with this - were your previous pregnancies high-risk or complicated too? It's great that you can look back on this pregnancy with such positive feelings after all that anxiety!

You seem to have a lot of experience with this - were your previous pregnancies high-risk or complicated too? It's great that you can look back on this pregnancy with such positive feelings after all that anxiety!
it's quite the rollercoaster journey - my previous two pregnancies were also high-risk and needed close monitoring. The first one ended in a miscarriage, which was devastating, and the second resulted in a long stay in the NICU for my son due to some birth complications. So this time round, I was extra nervous and anxious throughout. But luckily, everything worked out great! And you're right - the positive outcome makes all the worry seem so worth it now.

Do you have any other children? I find that each pregnancy can be so different from the last - it's like a whole new learning curve!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and lioness
it's quite the rollercoaster journey - my previous two pregnancies were also high-risk and needed close monitoring. The first one ended in a miscarriage, which was devastating, and the second resulted in a long stay in the NICU for my son due to some birth complications. So this time round, I was extra nervous and anxious throughout. But luckily, everything worked out great! And you're right - the positive outcome makes all the worry seem so worth it now.

Do you have any other children? I find that each pregnancy can be so different from the last - it's like a whole new learning curve!
I also had two other children before this one. My second pregnancy was relatively uneventful, but my third child was born 3 weeks early and gave us quite the scare. That whole learning curve you mentioned feels like a never-ending journey! Each time seems to bring new challenges and lessons. Do you think you'll have another in the future?

I also had two other children before this one. My second pregnancy was relatively uneventful, but my third child was born 3 weeks early and gave us quite the scare. That whole learning curve you mentioned feels like a never-ending journey! Each time seems to bring new challenges and lessons. Do you think you'll have another in the future?
Ah, what a relief it must've been after the initial scare! Amelia's entrance into this world sure was a bumpy yet seamless one. We really can't predict these things - my second pregnancy was a breeze compared to the first, and then the third came early and caught us off guard!

You never know what life has in store; I'm just glad everyone's doing well now. Another one in the future? Let's see - the universe might just throw some more surprises our way!

Wah, your little one's arrival sure was an adventure! Good thing everything turned out okay in the end, and Amelia is doing well despite the rocky start. Must have been a relief after all that worry.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Wah! Congrats on your new addition! That's one wild birth story you got there. My births were pretty straightforward compared to that! Your wife is one tough cookie!

Wah! Your little family got bigger ah! So happy for you, man! What a rollercoaster ride - from thinking everything's good to rushing off to another hospital, then having the baby in the right position after all that manoeuvring. Good thing everything turned out okay in the end, and welcome to the world, little Amelia!

Reactions: wisdom
Wow, that's quite the adventure! Good thing everything worked out in the end, with a healthy baby Amelia and all. You must be relieved it's over though! Must've been quite the rollercoaster - from thinking everything was good to go and then having to rush to another hospital, then the waiting and uncertainty of it all. But yeah, all's well that ends well. Congrats again!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Wah your little one's arrival sure had quite the dramatic entrance! But all's well that ends well; lucky you didn't have to rush off to another hospital in the end. Must've been scary though, seeing how it started out with some hiccups. But ya, definitely a relief everything turned out okay!

Reactions: musical
Wow, that's one wild ride you had! What a relief everything turned out alright in the end, haha. But gosh, those moments must've been so scary, especially with the uncertainty and sudden change of plans. Your wife's a trooper, and it's amazing how she handled all those challenges so bravely. Big congratulations on your new addition!

Wow! That's quite the adventure you had there! What a relief everything worked out in the end and little Amelia is doing well! You must be relieved after the uncertainty and extra drama surrounding her arrival into the world. Congratulations on your new addition! You've now got a full set - one of each!

Wow, that's quite the story! Not the usual straightforward birth but good thing everyone's safe and sound now. Your family must be so happy to welcome Amelia.

53876392230_41357a08a1_m.jpg

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu