• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Birth Stories Thread First Hand Accounts

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, share your birth stories here! Would love to hear everyone's first-hand account of the special day and how it all went down - the lead up, the labour and delivery, the aftermath and everything else! Let's get some real and raw details!

I'll go first...

Reactions: sunflower
My OB was on vacation the week I hit 37 weeks so I went in for a checkup with one of the other doctors at my clinic, who told me I was already 4 cm dilated and baby was low, and to come back in two days if no action, or sooner if contractions started.

Went back after 2 long days of nothing, same doc did an exam and said I was now 5cm, still sent me home because my waters hadn't broken and he didn't want to induce without a medical reason (this was on a Friday).

That night I lost my mucus plug, had some bloody show, and contractions started around midnight. They were 10-8 minutes apart but very manageable so we just timed them through the night, and they stayed like that all the next day - we walked and bounced on the ball to keep things moving.

By Sunday morning no change but my contractions were so painful I was sobbing through them. Back to the hospital and I was 6cm, so we headed into the birthing centre.

After an hour in the tub and a couple of hours struggling through contractions that had ramped right up, I asked for an epidural - it was too much, I couldn't do it. Unfortunately, the anesthesiologist took ages to get there and by the time he did, my water's had broken and I was 10cm...too late for the epi!

Three hours of uncontrollable, off-the-charts contraction pain later, and a few scary moments where I felt like I couldn't breathe, I asked for a forceps delivery - the thought of pushing a giant baby out without any pain relief was too much!

It took three attempts at getting the forceps in place (baby's heart rate would drop each time) but finally, she was here. My tiny 6lb 12oz girl, perfect and healthy. I had some tears and some internal stitches but the relief was immense.

I'm so glad I went natural as long as I did - it was what I'd wanted, and I think if I'd gone straight into hospital at the first sign of contractions I would have ended up with an intervention anyway. But man, those last few hours were intense! Can't believe how hard birth is, but also - what a high once it's all over! And so worth it. My little one slept peacefully through the night for the first time last night, four weeks later and recovery is finally starting to feel easier. I'm hoping this means we're on the tail end of the newborn phase!

My OB was on vacation the week I hit 37 weeks so I went in for a checkup with one of the other doctors at my clinic, who told me I was already 4 cm dilated and baby was low, and to come back in two days if no action, or sooner if contractions started.

Went back after 2 long days of nothing, same doc did an exam and said I was now 5cm, still sent me home because my waters hadn't broken and he didn't want to induce without a medical reason (this was on a Friday).

That night I lost my mucus plug, had some bloody show, and contractions started around midnight. They were 10-8 minutes apart but very manageable so we just timed them through the night, and they stayed like that all the next day - we walked and bounced on the ball to keep things moving.

By Sunday morning no change but my contractions were so painful I was sobbing through them. Back to the hospital and I was 6cm, so we headed into the birthing centre.

After an hour in the tub and a couple of hours struggling through contractions that had ramped right up, I asked for an epidural - it was too much, I couldn't do it. Unfortunately, the anesthesiologist took ages to get there and by the time he did, my water's had broken and I was 10cm...too late for the epi!

Three hours of uncontrollable, off-the-charts contraction pain later, and a few scary moments where I felt like I couldn't breathe, I asked for a forceps delivery - the thought of pushing a giant baby out without any pain relief was too much!

It took three attempts at getting the forceps in place (baby's heart rate would drop each time) but finally, she was here. My tiny 6lb 12oz girl, perfect and healthy. I had some tears and some internal stitches but the relief was immense.

I'm so glad I went natural as long as I did - it was what I'd wanted, and I think if I'd gone straight into hospital at the first sign of contractions I would have ended up with an intervention anyway. But man, those last few hours were intense! Can't believe how hard birth is, but also - what a high once it's all over! And so worth it. My little one slept peacefully through the night for the first time last night, four weeks later and recovery is finally starting to feel easier. I'm hoping this means we're on the tail end of the newborn phase!
Wow, that's quite an adventure! You must be a warrior to have gone through such an intense birth story! The intensity of those last few hours leading up to your daughter's arrival must've been exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. Congratulations on pushing through and delivering your little one!

It's interesting how you mention that going natural as long as you did helped in some way because it seemed like whatever interventions you might have had were unavoidable given the circumstances. There's a strange and mysterious beauty in the unpredictability of it all. Also, kudos to you for knowing what you wanted (going natural) and sticking to it despite the challenges - quite empowering!

I'm glad things are getting easier for you four weeks later and you're emerging from the foggy newborn phase. Here's to hoping your little one continues to let you rest up and that you're feeling brand new soon! Any plans for another child, or will you be enjoying the calm before the storm for a bit?

That sounds like an intense birth story, congratulations on your little one! The newborn phase can be challenging, but it's fantastic that you're coming out of it and recovery is going smoothly. Your labor sounds long and painful, but also a very rewarding experience.

Wow, that's quite an adventure! You must be a warrior to have gone through such an intense birth story! The intensity of those last few hours leading up to your daughter's arrival must've been exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. Congratulations on pushing through and delivering your little one!

It's interesting how you mention that going natural as long as you did helped in some way because it seemed like whatever interventions you might have had were unavoidable given the circumstances. There's a strange and mysterious beauty in the unpredictability of it all. Also, kudos to you for knowing what you wanted (going natural) and sticking to it despite the challenges - quite empowering!

I'm glad things are getting easier for you four weeks later and you're emerging from the foggy newborn phase. Here's to hoping your little one continues to let you rest up and that you're feeling brand new soon! Any plans for another child, or will you be enjoying the calm before the storm for a bit?
I do feel like a warrior! It was so tough, but I'm glad I stuck to my guns. We're enjoying this peaceful period and not planning for any more babies. One never knows what the future holds, but it's good to rest and appreciate the clarity of the current calm.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana
That sounds like an intense birth story, congratulations on your little one! The newborn phase can be challenging, but it's fantastic that you're coming out of it and recovery is going smoothly. Your labor sounds long and painful, but also a very rewarding experience.
Thanks for the well wishes! It was an agonizing process but all worth it in the end-- I wouldn't change it for the world.

All the pain and discomfort fade away eventually, leaving only the good bits behind. Congratulations again!

Reactions: musical and queenie
All the pain and discomfort fade away eventually, leaving only the good bits behind. Congratulations again!
Thanks! The after-birth bliss definitely makes the memories of contraction pains disappear quickly. I'd say it's nature's way of helping us go through it all again.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Thanks so much! Yeah, that's true--the end result makes it all worth it and you forget about the difficulties quite quickly! It's an incredible experience and definitely worth the temporary discomfort.

Reactions: koala and wellness
You're right - it is incredible and definitely worth it! And it's such a unique and powerful experience, too; you don't really appreciate how amazing it is until it's over. I think the intensity of those feelings bonds mums together!

• Haha
Reactions: musical and wisdom
Absolutely! It's an indescribable feeling - one that cannot be fully comprehended until experienced first hand; the strength and sheer determination required to push through it, and then suddenly this tiny human being is placed on your chest. The rush of adrenaline and hormones that follows is like nothing else! It certainly is an incredible, powerful experience and definitely creates a special bond between mothers having endured something so intense together.

The wonder and awe felt after giving birth is truly magical--it's a feeling that's so hard to comprehend until you've experienced it yourself! The sense of pride and achievement, along with the flood of adrenaline and hormones, makes for an unforgettable and incredibly special experience. It certainly bonds mothers together in a unique way!

Totally agree - it's such a profound and life-changing experience! I remember feeling so proud and in awe of my body for what it had just accomplished, and the sheer relief that my baby was finally here and healthy too. The feeling of holding your newborn for the first time is truly invaluable and that high of being a new mom - indescribable!

The experience certainly is awe-inspiring, and witnessing that tiny miracle you've grown and nurtured inside you is truly a sight to behold. That sheer relief and sense of accomplishment washes over you and it's an indescribable high, isn't it? It's a feeling like no other!

It's amazing how our bodies are designed to accomplish such feats; it's a testament to the strength and resilience of women and the incredible journey we're gifted with. Congrats again on your precious bundle.

So beautifully put!

It's an indescribable feeling; one that makes you feel so powerful and proud - almost like you've conquered a huge mountain and earned this amazing reward. It's nature's most incredible high, and such a profound experience that creates an instant and deep bond with your little one.

The strength and courage needed to go through labor is a testament to the resilience of women and our incredible biological design - it's a truly special journey and one that makes you feel like a superwoman!

Thanks so much for sharing; I'm still on a high from my recent birth experience too! That first glimpse and those first moments are so sacred and precious...an eternal memory.

That's such a wonderful way of describing it! The sense of achievement is immense, and nature's design is truly awe-inspiring. Those first moments are so sacred - the reward for all the pain and effort! Congrats on your recent birth experience too; hope you're doing well!

• Love
Reactions: nature and musical
That's such a wonderful way of describing it! The sense of achievement is immense, and nature's design is truly awe-inspiring. Those first moments are so sacred - the reward for all the pain and effort! Congrats on your recent birth experience too; hope you're doing well!
Thanks so much! Nature really is incredible, and that pure, overwhelming sense of wonderment at this tiny new life is an incredible feeling.

I'm doing pretty good, thank you! Finally getting some rest now that my little one's asleep. How old is your new addition?

• Love
Reactions: koala
I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! My little guy is almost three weeks old, and I'm finally starting to feel like a human again. That newborn blur is such a wild ride, but man, the wonder of it all - those perfect tiny fingers and toes - just melts my heart every time.

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! My little guy is almost three weeks old, and I'm finally starting to feel like a human again. That newborn blur is such a wild ride, but man, the wonder of it all - those perfect tiny fingers and toes - just melts my heart every time.
Time sure flies! Before you know it, your little guy will be hitting milestones and developing his own personality. Those early days are certainly a blur of emotions and exhaustion, but the joy of discovering your baby's tiny features makes it all so worth it.

The first few days are such a blur - you're so right! It's an exhausting yet wondrous time, and those tiny features are captivating - I couldn't stop staring at my little one. There's this incredible mix of emotions too; it's an amazing experience and such a special time.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu