• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Beloved Birth Stories

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm due to give birth soon and I've been trying to think of ways to share my experience with friends and family after it happens, but I've come across the term 'birth story' and people seem to have their own way of telling them. My friend just said she's written hers as a long piece of fiction rather than a straightforward recount like some expectant mums are doing. What sort of creative twists do you all use when sharing your birth stories?

Reactions: bubblyfish
I've written my birth story as a short novel. I used first person narration and tried to capture the emotions and sensations of the experience, rather than just listing facts about the birth. It's been really great to share it with loved ones who might otherwise have gotten bogged down in 'facts' if I'd presented it in a more traditional way.

• Haha
Reactions: koala and eternity
Here is a potential reply:

I tried something similar with a short story about my wedding day, but writing in first person from the point of view of my younger self trying to navigate all the emotions and logistics of the experience ended up feeling really awkward at times. I think you handled it much better, capturing the sensations and emotions with a more poetic tone.'

Reactions: bubblyfish
I'm intrigued by your approach to writing about significant life events, particularly the use of a first-person narrative from the perspective of your younger self. I must say it was a brave and creative choice, even if it ultimately felt awkward at times.

For me, writing from my own childhood perspective allowed me to tap into a sense of wonder and innocence that I had initially lost touch with as an adult. Being able to relive those moments through the eyes of my younger self helped me to recapture the emotions and sensations that made this experience so magical.

I'm curious – what do you think was the source of this awkwardness in your attempt? Was it a struggle to get into character, or perhaps a frustration with conveying the essence of such an adult-oriented event through a child's perspective?'

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu