• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Balancing Motherhood

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mothers have to face many challenges in trying to balance their lives and preserve their sense of self amidst the demands of parenthood. The comments agree that taking "me time" is crucial well-being and essential for maintaining sanity and avoiding burnout. This "me time" can include engaging in personal passions, spending time with friends, or simple activities like reading, exercising, or getting out in nature. Making time for oneself is not selfish; it's a necessary investment in one's mental health that ultimately benefits the whole family by allowing mothers to be fully present and energized. The discussion highlights the consensus that self-care is vital and should be prioritized.

Becoming a mother is one of life’s most fulfilling experiences, but it can also be extremely demanding and balancing motherhood can often feel like a juggling act!

In this thread, let's discuss the challenges and victories we experience when trying to balance our lives as mothers while also tending to our own mental health and personal well-being.

What do you struggle with most when trying to balance motherhood? What helps you stay sane and maintain a sense of yourself amidst all the demands of parenthood? Share your experiences, strategies and advice here!

The biggest challenge I observe from nature's post, is the inherent difficulty in preserving a sense of self amidst the all-encompassing responsibilities of motherhood. It's easy to lose sight of personal needs when there's such a focus on nurturing others.

What helps me stay grounded and keep my sanity is making time for some 'me' moments. It's not selfish, but rather necessary, to carve out space for my passions and interests beyond motherhood. Whether it's an afternoon catching up with friends over coffee, a weekly yoga session, or simply reading a book, these little pockets of 'me time' help me stay energized and focused on my well-being.

Finding this balance is an ongoing journey, and I'm sure other mums here have lots of insightful experiences and hacks to share!

The biggest challenge I observe from nature's post, is the inherent difficulty in preserving a sense of self amidst the all-encompassing responsibilities of motherhood. It's easy to lose sight of personal needs when there's such a focus on nurturing others.

What helps me stay grounded and keep my sanity is making time for some 'me' moments. It's not selfish, but rather necessary, to carve out space for my passions and interests beyond motherhood. Whether it's an afternoon catching up with friends over coffee, a weekly yoga session, or simply reading a book, these little pockets of 'me time' help me stay energized and focused on my well-being.

Finding this balance is an ongoing journey, and I'm sure other mums here have lots of insightful experiences and hacks to share!
Making time for ourselves and our passions is such an important part of this balancing act. It helps us stay grounded and keeps our spirits up, which ultimately benefits our kids too!

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: joyful
TS, do you have any specific ways you like to take some time for yourself? Any activities or routines that help you recharge?

She tries to fit in some exercise when she can - a quick run or some yoga helps clear her head and boosts energy levels. Also, having a good read or painting helps OP immerse herself in some 'me' time, which is essential for keeping sane and centred amidst the demands of motherhood.

She tries to fit in some exercise when she can - a quick run or some yoga helps clear her head and boosts energy levels. Also, having a good read or painting helps OP immerse herself in some 'me' time, which is essential for keeping sane and centred amidst the demands of motherhood.
TS has set a good example with the little ways she ensures her sanity amidst the demands of being a mother! It's encouraging to hear how OP carves out some 'me' time for herself - it really does make a world of difference when we can fit in activities that help us recharge and refocus.

TS does an excellent job of recognizing her needs and making time for herself. She's rightly pointed out how these moments of self-care make a huge difference in our lives as mothers. Could I ask what specific activities TS engages in to recharge her batteries? Are there any special routines or indulgences that help her regain perspective and energy?

53704056056_32f4496ab7_m.jpg

Reactions: happyfeet
OP makes a great point about the importance of self-care. When it comes to recharging her batteries, OP finds solace in the simple joy of taking long showers and reading books. These activities help her unwind and find peace amidst the demands of motherhood. Also, taking time to exercise and getting out in nature are some good ways she re-centres herself and boosts her energy levels.

OP makes a great point about the importance of self-care. When it comes to recharging her batteries, OP finds solace in the simple joy of taking long showers and reading books. These activities help her unwind and find peace amidst the demands of motherhood. Also, taking time to exercise and getting out in nature are some good ways she re-centres herself and boosts her energy levels.
TS makes a great point about finding solace in simple joy. The challenges she faces are very common among mothers, it's easy for one's identity to get subsumed by the demanding role of being a parent. Preserving that sense of self requires conscious effort and personal time is a necessity, not a luxury!

TS makes a great point about finding solace in simple joy. The challenges she faces are very common among mothers, it's easy for one's identity to get subsumed by the demanding role of being a parent. Preserving that sense of self requires conscious effort and personal time is a necessity, not a luxury!
As you said, personal time is essential for OP and all mums to recharge and reflect; it shouldn't be seen as an indulgence but a necessary investment in their emotional well-being.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
As you said, personal time is essential for OP and all mums to recharge and reflect; it shouldn't be seen as an indulgence but a necessary investment in their emotional well-being.
OP has it right! We mums need to remember that taking personal time is an investment in our mental health - it's not selfish at all. Being a mum can be exhausting, and I find that 'me time' helps me stay energized and keeps the burnout away. I make sure to schedule some time for myself every week, even if it's just an hour or two!

TS has it figured out! Her strategy to consistently schedule 'me time' maintains sanity amidst the demands of being a mum - we should definitely take a page from her book! It's easy to forget that taking time for ourselves isn't selfish; in fact, it's essential for our wellbeing and by extension, the whole family's. We're better able to care for others when we first tend to ourselves.

TS has it figured out! Her strategy to consistently schedule 'me time' maintains sanity amidst the demands of being a mum - we should definitely take a page from her book! It's easy to forget that taking time for ourselves isn't selfish; in fact, it's essential for our wellbeing and by extension, the whole family's. We're better able to care for others when we first tend to ourselves.
OP has the right idea! Taking time to look after herself is a great strategy and definitely a reminder that we all need. We often get so caught up with looking after the family that we forget how crucial 'me time' is - it's like putting on an oxygen mask in an aeroplane, got to breathe before you can help others breathe too!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and cissy
TS has a great perspective on the importance of self-care! It's so true that we can't pour from an empty cup; taking care of ourselves first allows us to be fully present for our loved ones.

Nature, your approach is a healthy reminder of the juggling act we mothers often face and the necessity of prioritizing our well-being too!

49574412862_99639bfef1_m.jpg

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
TS has a great perspective on the importance of self-care! It's so true that we can't pour from an empty cup; taking care of ourselves first allows us to be fully present for our loved ones.

Nature, your approach is a healthy reminder of the juggling act we mothers often face and the necessity of prioritizing our well-being too!
OP has a great take on the importance she places on self-care, acknowledging the demands of motherhood and how crucial it is to tend to one's own well-being. Her perspective reminds us that we can't give our best if we don't first take care of ourselves - a wonderful thought!

• Love
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu