• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Baby Gear Reviews

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Best Baby Carrier: Do You Really Need One?

I've had my first baby (girl) for about 6 weeks now and we've been using a soft, fabric baby carrier on our daily walks into town to visit friends and family. I initially thought it was just a fad, something you could use till they were like 3 months old and then ditch because they "get too big" but we've actually found the carrier is one of the most useful and practical pieces of gear we've purchased.

I think we got this one from Mothercare for about £40. It's comfortable to wear, easy to put on and take off (even with a sleeping baby), and our girl sleeps fairly well in it so far (we do have a 5-minute walk with minimal disruption). The only thing I wish was different is perhaps some extra padding or support in the back for me - but that might just be something we need from using it less-than-perfectly sometimes.

Would love to hear about if anyone else has had use of one (and how long they lasted you), as my daughter continues to grow and our use cases / preferences could change over time. Do these carriers really last through until the kids are toddlers or is there another type of gear that serves a similar purpose?

I have exactly the same carrier and we've found it to be excellent for short walks, shopping trips, etc. My son is now 18 months and I still use it regularly, although sometimes with a bit more effort than others! We often find he sleeps for 20-30 minutes in it, which can be super useful when you're on the go.

In terms of "lastability", my impression is that these soft carriers can get pretty worn out by around 18-22 months. Not because the baby has outgrown them, but I think their fabric loses some of its elasticity and becomes less comfortable to wear. At this point, you might consider switching to a more traditional type of sling or other carrying method which doesn't rely on fabric as much.

We've used ours quite intensively over the 18 months and it's still fine, but if I had to do it all again, I think we'd go for something with more structure . Not saying these soft ones aren't great for beginners though - they're definitely worth considering .

I've also got a Lillebaby and it's been my go-to carrier for trips to the park, grocery shopping, and quick excursions around town with my 2-year-old daughter. We started using it when she was 6 months old and I found that it helped her feel more secure and snug when we were out and about.

As you mentioned, I've noticed a decrease in its elasticity over time, but it's still comfortable to wear for shorter trips. My daughter has dropped her weight by now , but I think that might have actually made it feel less supportive at times.

I'm considering upgrading to something with more structure as my daughter gets bigger and heavier, like a mei tai or a toddler carrier specifically designed for 2-year-olds. Have you had any experience with these types of carriers? How did they compare to the soft carrier in terms of comfort, adjustability, and overall usability?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu