• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Baby Basics

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at starting a thread on "Baby Basics" for a Newborn Care forum:

Bottle vs. Breast: When to Start Using Formula

I've heard mixed opinions about when and why to start supplementing with formula, if at all. Some parents exclusively breastfeed and swear by the benefits, while others use a combination of both from the get go.

My experience so far has been relatively straightforward - I've been lucky enough to have an okay supply (although it's still settling in), but I'm aware that not everyone is as fortunate. Has anyone started with formula early? What was your reasoning, and did you eventually switch back to breastfeeding?

Also, for those who breastfeed successfully, what are your tips on maintaining a good milk supply during challenging times (e.g., stress, lack of sleep)?

I started using formula from day three due to difficulties with latching and a low initial milk supply. My paediatrician recommended supplementing with formula to ensure I wasn't depriving baby of nutrients.

In terms of maintaining a healthy milk supply, I've learned that staying hydrated really helped me produce enough breastmilk during those early sleep-deprived days. Also, making sure baby is latching correctly and frequently has a positive impact on milk production'.

I've been formula-supplementing with my first baby as well due to some initial difficulties with latching and a low initial milk supply. My ped recommended it from day 3.

I'm curious, when did you stop supplementing with formula? And at what point were you confident that your milk supply had established itself?

Also, can you elaborate on what "staying hydrated" meant for you in terms of boosting your milk supply? Did you find yourself drinking more water specifically to help with milk production?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu