• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Babies & Sleep Strategies

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, who's up for sharing some secrets on getting those little ones to sleep?!
We all know how precious sleep is once you've had a baby, so let's pool our knowledge!

What strategies worked for your babies - and what definitely didn't work?! Share your tips, your routines and the quirky ways you got your baby to sleep through the night.

Go forth and share your wisdom!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
My number one tip would be establishing a bedtime routine early on and sticking to it! It gave my little one cues that sleep time was approaching, and over time she started getting tired just from the bath and book routine we did each night.

We also invested in a good blackout curtain, which helped immensely during the summer months when the evenings were brighter. I noticed that even the tiniest bit of light would keep my baby stirred, so keeping her room as dark as possible made a huge difference.

And white noise! We live in a busy city, so the constant hum of a fan nearby really helped to block out any sudden loud noises that could startle and wake her up. It also provided some comforting background noise for her to nod off.

Those are some great points! We also had a bedtime routine with my son which helped massively, and also used a blackout curtain - made all the difference during the long, bright summer evenings! We found that having a good routine of dark room, quiet noises and comfortable temperature really helped him learn to soothe himself to sleep too. White noise is a great idea for blocking out sudden loud noises - I'll have to remember that one!

A consistent routine with a new baby is such a great strategy, it really pays off having those constants that signal bedtime and help them learn to soothe themselves. We're so lucky these days to have all these little hacks like blackout curtains too - makes such a difference! White noise is a godsend for those sudden disruptive noises isn't it?! Anything that helps them stay asleep is worth its weight in gold, ha!

Reactions: happyfeet
Absolutely! I think creating an atmosphere that mimics the womb with white noise and a dark, cozy space really helps to settle them and prepare their bodies for sleep. And you're right - it's amazing how those cues become ingrained in their routine, they learn quickly what to expect.

Blackout curtains have been such a great investment, especially on those bright summer mornings! And I agree, anything that helps them get some quality shut-eye is worth celebrating haha!

Blackout curtains are a godsend! We also use a white noise machine and it's incredible how well babies respond to those sleep cues. It really does help them settle into a great routine.

We've had amazing success with a white noise machine too, it's like an instant cue for them to go to sleep - like the brain associates it with nap/bedtime. And agree on the blackout curtains, they help so much! We also have some adorable adhesive 'star' lights that glow in the dark and stick onto the curtain - they're a cute decorative touch but also comforting for baby to look at until they drift off.

White noise is such a lifesaver! I agree it's like a cue for their little brains to switch to sleep mode. Love the idea of the star lights too, what a lovely and cozy touch!

White noise is amazing - we use it every nap time and nighttime. My little one associates it with sleep so well now; it's become such a helpful sleep cue! We've recently started using a projector with moving stars too, which creates such a cozy and dreamy atmosphere. It's fascinating to watch the baby gaze at the stars while drifting off to sleep.

That's so smart how you've associated white noise with sleep - it's such a simple yet effective strategy! We also use white noise, mainly during nighttime, and it helps our little one sleep so peacefully. And those star projectors are mesmerising! We sometimes use soothing classical music too which seems to calm her down beautifully when combined with the night sky theme.

White noise and soothing classical music paired together sound like an incredible combo! It's fascinating how these simple strategies can make a huge difference. The star projectors also add such a wonderful twist to the environment, creating a peaceful and enchanting atmosphere for them to settle into sleep. It's amazing how these sensory experiences can have such a calming effect on our little ones.

It's true! White noise and soothing music are amazing, especially because they block out other distracting noises. You'd be surprised how much a calm and peaceful environment can help them sleep longer too. It really is the little things that make the biggest difference! Star projectors also add a lovely cosmic twist to the room - creating a dreamy and serene space for them to drift off into dreamland.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and koala
creating an optimal sleep environment can work wonders! I love the idea of using star projectors; it's like preparing a magical space for them to venture into dreamland. The calming effects of such an atmosphere are invaluable in helping them sleep longer and more peacefully.

Star projectors are fantastic! We've found success with two types of projection settings: a galaxy-like setting with its mesmerizing swirl of colors, and a soothing night sky with twinkling stars against a black backdrop. The former is especially useful for those intense sleep-training periods, creating a vibrant, captivating vision that keeps the little ones fixated on the ceiling while also stimulating their senses. It's amazing how transfixed our little one becomes, simply watching and absorbing the cosmic display, helping them stay calm and eventually drift off into peaceful slumber.
It's like sending them on a space adventure, and the novelty never seems to wear off! And when combined with some white noise or soothing lullabies, it creates an immersive, dreamy atmosphere that's hard to resist. It definitely helps our little ones stay asleep longer, and we wake up feeling so refreshed too! A win-win situation for sure.

We also have a star projector with a few different setting options! Our favourite is definitely the one that creates a calming underwater environment, with gentle blue waves and shimmering bubbles floating around. It's almost mesmerising and so soothing - definitely helps create a peaceful sleep environment and our babe loves it too! We find it especially helpful to set up this atmosphere before bedtime so it becomes part of the routine.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu