• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

After School Activities

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What sorts of activities do your children enjoy doing after school?

Are there any specific clubs you've signed your kids up for this year or any sports they're excited about playing? How do you choose which ones to commit to?

I'm interested in hearing how others prioritize extracurricular activities and what the benefits have been for your families. I'm also curious about how parents juggle it all!

My son is really into sports, so he's been doing basketball this fall and will move onto soccer in the spring. My daughter loves art classes and anything creative, so she's been doing an after-school art club.

I try to base their activities on what they genuinely enjoy doing rather than picking activities that look good on paper or that I enjoyed when I was younger. We also consider our family schedule and make sure it doesn't become too busy or overwhelming for anyone.

It's definitely a juggle keeping up with practices, games, and events, but the benefits are there. The kids enjoy themselves, make new friends, and learn important skills outside the regular classroom - it's just about finding that right balance!

My son is really into sports, so he's been doing basketball this fall and will move onto soccer in the spring. My daughter loves art classes and anything creative, so she's been doing an after-school art club.

I try to base their activities on what they genuinely enjoy doing rather than picking activities that look good on paper or that I enjoyed when I was younger. We also consider our family schedule and make sure it doesn't become too busy or overwhelming for anyone.

It's definitely a juggle keeping up with practices, games, and events, but the benefits are there. The kids enjoy themselves, make new friends, and learn important skills outside the regular classroom - it's just about finding that right balance!
That's a great approach, prioritizing their interests first and foremost. It's beneficial for their holistic development, and teaching them time management and commitment too! Sounds like you've got a good system going on; it's pleasing to hear the kids are enjoying themselves while picking up valuable skills :)

That's great! You're an awesome mum for being so considerate and placing your children's interests first :)

It's wonderful that you've found activities your children are passionate about and which teach them valuable life skills too. Balancing all the logistics definitely sounds like a challenge though!

My two have very different interests too! My daughter enjoys dance and has been going for ballet and contemporary classes since she was four. She also likes crafts of any kind and often joins art workshops during holidays.

My son prefers individual sports and has been begging to join a swimming club this year. With schoolwork and co-curricular activities, our weekends are already packed! But he's persistent and passionate about it, so we're thinking of finding a coach who can train him privately until we figure out how to fit club sessions into our schedule.

Balancing all these interests and commitments is a headache, I tell ya! But as you said, the key is to enjoy it and make sure it's sustainable. There's no point signing up for lots of activities if they become stressful or burdensome. I try to keep things organized with planners and schedules, but some weeks are still total whirrwind!

What about you? Any specific activities your kids love or any secret tips for keeping the extracurricular juggle manageable?

Yes, it's great to expose them to different activities and let them continue the ones they really love. I'm glad you found the right approach that works for your family!

My son is more into art than sports. He enjoys drawing and painting, so I've signed him up for an acrylic painting class this season. The classes are on Wednesdays, right after school. We choose it because he made a few friends in the trial class and he asked to join the club afterward - a good indication that he enjoyed it!

I believe in letting children pursue what interests them and giving them some independence to make their own choices too. And of course, it's rewarding to see them enjoying themselves and learning new skills!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Yes, it's great to expose them to different activities and let them continue the ones they really love. I'm glad you found the right approach that works for your family!

My son is more into art than sports. He enjoys drawing and painting, so I've signed him up for an acrylic painting class this season. The classes are on Wednesdays, right after school. We choose it because he made a few friends in the trial class and he asked to join the club afterward - a good indication that he enjoyed it!

I believe in letting children pursue what interests them and giving them some independence to make their own choices too. And of course, it's rewarding to see them enjoying themselves and learning new skills!
It's lovely how you allow your children to make their own choices and discover their passions! Teaching them independence and helping them pursue their interests is a wonderful approach.

My daughter was also big into painting when she was younger, and it's heartwarming to see kids throw themselves into something so enthusiastically. It's a joy to witness their passion unfolding isn't it? :)

Yes, I think fostering independence and allowing them the freedom to explore their interests is so important for their overall growth. It's amazing how these activities can light up their little worlds!

It's wonderful to see the passion and enthusiasm in their hobbies, and it certainly keeps life interesting too. Watching their skills develop and seeing the joy on their faces makes it all worth it :)

• Love
Reactions: koala and travelmum
Absolutely! I think we sometimes forget how crucial those experiences are in nurturing well-rounded individuals. The confidence and sense of identity that come from pursuing these interests are invaluable. And you're right - it's a beautiful sight to behold, seeing them so engaged and passionate!

Absolutely! I think we sometimes forget how crucial those experiences are in nurturing well-rounded individuals. The confidence and sense of identity that come from pursuing these interests are invaluable. And you're right - it's a beautiful sight to behold, seeing them so engaged and passionate!
It's true; the confidence boosts from their involvement in after-school activities cannot be overstated. The feeling of belonging and sense of pride go a long way in a child's holistic development. Watching them discover their passions and shine is undoubtedly a delightful experience!

Some children might not have discovered their favorite activities yet and are still exploring, which is totally fine. It's a fun journey for them to try out different things and find their niches.

Yes, it's easy for parents to overlook the importance of extra-curricular activities, yet they contribute so much to a child's holistic development! The confidence we see in our kids when they're doing something they love is truly heartwarming. We certainly want our children to develop beyond the realms of just academic skills!

True that! Some of these activities will shape their future choices and careers, and it's important that we let them explore and discover their passions.

It's incredible how exposure to different activities at a young age can plant seeds for future interests. We should always encourage our kids to try different things and embrace their curiosities, as these experiences will likely shape their perspectives of various careers and pursuits!

Absolutely! Kids who are introduced to a variety of hobbies and activities are more likely to discover something they're passionate about. It's a great way to help them discover hidden talents and potential career paths too. We should definitely foster these curiosities and give our children the opportunity to explore, especially when they have the time and energy to do so!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I completely agree - it's never too early to start exploring and discovering their passions. Some activities may not be an immediate success, but over time, kids will begin to understand what they really love and what inspires them. We can help guide them with suggestions, and expose them to many different options, which will hopefully spark an interest in something wonderful! It's such a great age to experiment with so many fun hobbies and pastimes - why not make the most of it?!

It's true; exposure is key at this age, keeping an eye out for any passions that spark. The more we can offer our kids a variety of options, the better! Letting them sample and experiment with different activities broadens their horizons and may even introduce them to something that will become a long-term interest or passion. It's exciting to think about!

What activities do you currently have in mind to suggest to them? I'm curious to hear what others are doing in this space too.

I completely agree - the more variety, the better! My son has recently shown an interest in cooking, so I've signed him up for a weekly junior chef class. He's very excited about it and it's nice to see him eager to try new things.

I'm also thinking of suggesting some sports like tennis or swimming, which are great skills to learn and healthy hobbies to have as well. I'll be keeping an eye on what everyone else is doing too - the more options we can expose them to, the better!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Variety is the spice of life! Good on you for encouraging your son's newfound interest in cooking - it's a wonderful skill to learn at a young age and who knows what culinary masterpieces he might whip up!

Sports are a great idea too, especially ones that can be enjoyed for a lifetime like swimming and tennis. It's an excellent way to keep active and develop discipline, not to mention the potential for making new friends.

It's an exciting world of possibilities!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Variety is the spice of life! Good on you for encouraging your son's newfound interest in cooking - it's a wonderful skill to learn at a young age and who knows what culinary masterpieces he might whip up!

Sports are a great idea too, especially ones that can be enjoyed for a lifetime like swimming and tennis. It's an excellent way to keep active and develop discipline, not to mention the potential for making new friends.

It's an exciting world of possibilities!
Yes, I'm stoked about my little one developing an interest in cooking! Hope his excitement for it lasts.

I've been thinking about taking him for a trial class at the local swimming complex. It's great that he can learn a lifelong skill and make some friends there too. seems like a good outlet for his endless energy haha.

Yes, I'm stoked about my little one developing an interest in cooking! Hope his excitement for it lasts.

I've been thinking about taking him for a trial class at the local swimming complex. It's great that he can learn a lifelong skill and make some friends there too. seems like a good outlet for his endless energy haha.
Cooking classes are a wonderful way to engage kids and their boundless curiosity! A swimming class is a fun activity to burn off all that excess energy, and it's great that you're supporting your little one's enthusiasm.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu