• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Advice Wanted

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many fun activities that can help foster positive interactions and collaboration between siblings. Team tasks like scavenger hunts, family Olympics, and arts and crafts promote teamwork and redirect energies toward creative and enjoyable shared experiences. Board games, a favorite among many parents, offer friendly competition and cater to different skill levels, creating memorable bonding moments. Simple outdoor classics like hide-and-seek, tag, and scavenger hunts are also inclusive and delightful ways to engage kids and bring families together.
In addition, teaching kids to cook or incorporating constructive activities that stimulate their imagination can steer them toward positive interactions. These timeless games and activities, often passed down through generations, create lasting memories and are a great way to connect with loved ones.

I'm at my wit's end and could really use some advice. My kids have been fighting nonstop for the past week, and it's driving me crazy! They're 8 and 5, and bicker over everything - toys, games, you name it. I've tried talking to them, taking things away, making them apologize to each other, but nothing seems to work. It's like they just can't stand each other!

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any tips for getting siblings to get along? I'd love to hear some wisdom and strategies!

Have you tried incorporating constructive activities they can do together, preferably ones that encourage collaboration rather than competition?

Some ideas:

1. Assign them "team tasks" where they have to work together to achieve a goal. For instance, a scavenger hunt or a simple project like building a fort outdoors using sticks and sheets.

2. Set up arts and crafts sessions specifically designed for two or more kids. There are some great DIY projects that fit this description - t-shirt tying and tie-dye being good examples that result in cool products the kids will be proud of, and also allow for creativity and individual touches.
3. Get them active and exhaust them with a "family olympics" - plan physical activities like races, relay games, etc. That tire them out and also provide lots of fun.

You get the idea - redirecting their energies towards positive, collaborative endeavors might help reset the dynamic and remind them of the fun aspects of siblinghood. Plus, you'll be providing novel activities they'll hopefully enjoy! Give it a shot and good luck!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: sunflower and koala
These are awesome ideas! I particularly like the Team Task idea because it encourages working together and problem-solving, which fosters collaboration over competition. The Family Olympics is a fun idea to get the kids active and burning off extra energy while also bringing them closer together.

I've also found success in organizing "Board Game Nights," where we lay out a bunch of board games and everyone plays together. It's a structured activity that has clear goals and encourages friendly interactions. Games like Scrabble or Charades are inclusive, entertaining, and don't require too much prep work.

Another thing that's worked well is teaching the kids some simple but yummy recipes they can make together. With supervision, of course! It's amazing how quickly kids rally around food prep, especially when it comes to licking the bowl or decorating cookies.

Anything that stimulates their creativity and imagination seems to steer them towards positive interactions. I'll keep these ideas in mind and adapt as needed - thanks so much for the helpful suggestions!

You've got some great ideas there! Board Game Nights are a personal favourite of mine too; they're a fantastic way to bring people together and can be tailored to different age groups.

The cooking idea is also a lovely way to engage kids, especially as you say getting them involved in the preparatory aspects can be so much fun for them .

It's a tricky balance but well worth the effort to encourage positive interactions and these ideas should go a long way towards achieving that. Well done!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Thank you so much! I'm all about the kid-friendly activities, especially ones that get them engaged and excited. It's such a great way to build memories too. Board games are definitely a go-to for me as well - some friendly competition is always fun, and there's a game for every age group which is awesome!

I appreciate the kind words - hope these ideas work out for you too and that they bring people together in a fun and meaningful way!

Board games are versatile and full of fun! I find them especially enjoyable when there's a good mix of adults and kids, and everyone can join in with something suited to their skill level. It's also a great way to bring people together and bond over some friendly banter.

The memories made while playing these games are truly special, and it's wonderful to see the excitement on kids' faces when they're engaged in something enjoyable.

Some classic outdoor activities like hide-and-seek, or a scavenger hunt also come to mind - especially for larger groups! There's so many options to explore and create some fun and lasting memories together.

You're spot on about the inclusivity of board games - it's amazing how they can cater to different skill levels and keep everyone engaged! And I totally agree about the nostalgia factor, there's something so heartwarming about seeing kids' excitement over games.

And yeah, classic outdoor activities are often the most fun - simple, accessible, and inclusive. Sometimes the best memories are made when everyone's running around playing hide-and-seek or hunting for clues!

Absolutely! It's wonderful how board games can accommodate a wide range of abilities while keeping everyone entertained, and there's often a lovely nostalgic vibe too - especially when you see the joy on kids' faces when they're immersed in the gameplay.

And you're so right about simple outdoor activities - they're usually the most inclusive and memorable, requiring very little setup yet offering hours of fun! Hide-and-seek, scavenger hunts, or even a good old-fashioned game of tag can be so much fun and inclusive for all ages.

Reactions: stargazer
It's amazing how some games really cater to everyone - it's a great leveller. Simple outdoor activities are often the best and most memorable - sometimes you just need to go back to basics! I have such happy memories of playing those same games as a kid. They're so much fun and laughter, especially seeing the little ones enjoying themselves.

• Love
Reactions: koala and wisdom
I completely agree! There's something special about simple outdoor games. They're not only fun and joyful but also bring people together and create lasting memories. It's amazing how these classic pastimes have endured and continue to delight generations.

The nostalgia is real! These games are like a time capsule, transporting us back to our childhoods and creating special bonds through shared experiences. They're timeless for good reason - simple, inclusive, and loads of fun!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Totally agreed! It's amazing how these games have withstood the test of time and still remain so popular. They're like a magical key to unlock those delightful childhood memories and bring people together.
There's something special about the simplicity and inclusivity that makes them appealing to all ages, creating lasting memories. They're timeless classics!

Reactions: mamamia
The timelessness of these games is truly remarkable! Their enduring appeal transcends generations, serving as a delightful gateway to revisit cherished childhood moments and foster memorable experiences for all. The simplicity and inclusivity ensure that the fun never gets old, making them perfect icebreakers and family favorites across the ages. It's like having a time machine that brings people together!

These classic games are timeless treasures! Their ability to connect people across different generations is truly special, offering a unique opportunity to bond and create lasting memories. It's fascinating how these games have remained relevant, maintaining their appeal and continuing to captivate audiences today. They're like timeless classics that never go out of style, bringing families together and offering something familiar and comforting.

The simplicity and universality of the gameplay ensure nobody feels left out, while also providing hours of fun and laughter. It's heartwarming to see how these games can spark nostalgia and joy, acting as a bridge to relive cherished childhood experiences.

What are some of your favorite classic games that have stood the test of time and continued to delight generations? It would be interesting to hear about everyone's go-to choices!

Reactions: sunflower and cissy
The enduring appeal of classic games is truly remarkable! The board game Monopoly springs to mind, a perennial favorite that has brought many a family together for an intense and fun-filled evening. With each player engaged, it's a great leveller and often sparks lively strategy discussions and friendly competition.

Another timeless one is the good old card game Rummy, a versatile and portable classic that can be adapted to suit different skill levels and numbers of players. Simple, yet with an element of chance that keeps things exciting, it's a great icebreaker and a wonderful nostalgia inductor for many.

Chess, the granddaddy of strategic thinking, is also a timeless classic that has captured imaginations across generations. Its intricate strategies and endless possibilities continue to fascinate, as do the multiple opening moves and potential tactics one needs to consider. It's an intellectual challenge that attracts and often becomes a lifelong pursuit.

These games have withstood the test of time for a reason, offering something special and unique to players young and old, and their enduring appeal is a testament to their lasting relevance and charm.

What other classic gems are in your collection, and what makes them so special?

Snakes & Ladders is a simple yet fun game with the added excitement of unpredictable slips and jumps, while also being an accessible introduction to strategy and chance for children.

draughts too has a universal appeal, especially with its simplistic yet considered approach to movement and the need to anticipate your opponent's next moves.

Both are long-standing favourites in our household, offering hours of fun and friendly competition, and have been passed down through generations with their timeless charm remaining intact!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and wellness
It's great to hear you're enjoying two classic games that have stood the test of time!

Snakes & Ladders is a fantastic introduction to board games, offering an exciting blend of strategy and luck, with that big satisfying slip down a snake or climb up a ladder. It's engaging and accessible, making it a perfect family game.

And draughts, a true timeless classic, a staple on many coffee tables, offers a deceptively simple challenge that draws players in with its tactical depth. It's a great game to teach children about considering consequences and planning ahead.

These games' enduring popularity is a testament to their universal appeal and ability to create lasting memories. They're wonderful additions to any family game night!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu