• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Adoption & Foster Care: Sharing Stories, Changing Lives.

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm excited to start this new thread on adoption and foster care, a topic very close to my heart. I believe that sharing our stories and experiences can have a profound impact and create meaningful change. This is a safe space for all of us to share our journeys, offer support, and celebrate the beauty of adoption and foster care.

I'll begin with a little bit of my own story. I've been a foster parent for almost five years now, and it's been an incredible, life-altering experience. Seeing the transformation in the children who come into your home, knowing that you're providing them with stability and love, is truly special. It's not always easy, but the rewards are immense.

What brings each of you here today? Whether you're an adoptee, a birth parent, a foster parent, or simply someone who wants to learn more, I'd love to hear your stories. Let's create a supportive community and explore this amazing journey together!

Hello everyone! I'm excited to start this new thread on adoption and foster care, a topic very close to my heart. I believe that sharing our stories and experiences can have a profound impact and create meaningful change. This is a safe space for all of us to share our journeys, offer support, and celebrate the beauty of adoption and foster care.

I'll begin with a little bit of my own story. I've been a foster parent for almost five years now, and it's been an incredible, life-altering experience. Seeing the transformation in the children who come into your home, knowing that you're providing them with stability and love, is truly special. It's not always easy, but the rewards are immense.

What brings each of you here today? Whether you're an adoptee, a birth parent, a foster parent, or simply someone who wants to learn more, I'd love to hear your stories. Let's create a supportive community and explore this amazing journey together!
Hello! It's great to have a space to share our experiences. I'm an adoptee myself, born and raised in Singapore. My adoptive parents are amazing, and I never really felt the need to search for my biological parents because I had such a wonderful childhood. But lately, I've been thinking about them a lot, wondering if they think of me too. Does anyone else have any thoughts or experiences with thinking about their birth parents? It's quite a daunting feeling, especially not knowing anything about them or their situation.

Hello! I'm happy to join this thread and share my story as an adopter. Like you, I believe that spreading awareness and sharing our experiences can make a huge difference in shaping the landscape of adoption and fostering.

My husband and I adopted our son three years ago, when he was just a baby. It's been an incredible ride watching him grow and develop his own little personality. There were certainly challenges along the way - the paperwork, the uncertainties, and the initial adjustments - but the joy of welcoming a new life into our home and hearts makes it all worthwhile.

I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences as a foster parent. What made you decide to take the path of fostering instead of biological children? And how do you navigate the challenges when the children you foster eventually leave your home?

• Sad
Reactions: cissy

Hi there! I'm Tina, a single mom and fitness trainer. Being a foster parent sounds like an incredibly rewarding experience, definitely not a path everyone would choose, but one that makes a huge difference in the lives of those who need it most. I'm here to learn more about the adoption process and stories behind each unique journey. It's great to have this safe space to share!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and luciana

I'm Lisa, a music teacher and parent to a 3-year-old son. Foster care is an absolute commitment with so many rewards, as you mentioned. It's heartening to see others here committed to creating loving homes for those in need. I'm here to listen and learn from everyone's experiences.

I wanted to join this conversation to share my experience and also learn from others' stories. It's an incredible, yet challenging journey and a very worthwhile one! I'm keen to hear about your experiences too.

• Sad
Reactions: luciana

Hello! I'd like to learn about everyone's unique stories and experiences with adoption and foster care. I've been an artist all my life, so seeing others' journeys and perspectives is fascinating and inspiring - especially those who've embraced the challenge of fostering!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and luciana

Hello there! I'm Wellness, a single mother and nutritionist from Singapore. My son is four years old, and we've been living in Kallang for as long as I can remember. I wanted to join this conversation because, like you, I believe that sharing our stories can create awareness and potentially help someone else considering either adoption or foster care. It's quite a daunting process, and hearing first-hand accounts can really help others envision what it might be like.

I foster parented my nephew for two years while my sister was getting back on her feet. It was challenging because I had a young child myself, so managing two energetic boys was no easy feat. But it was a rewarding experience overall. There's a real sense of fulfillment in knowing you're helping a child grow and thrive, especially one so close to your heart.

What about you? What inspired you to become a foster parent, and how has your journey been so far?

Hello! I'm joyful to be part of this discussion. As a foster parent myself, I totally relate to the satisfaction and sense of fulfillment that comes with providing a stable home to kids who need it most. It's heartwarming to see them thrive and grow under our care. What has been the most challenging yet rewarding experience you've had so far in your fostering journey? For me, it was managing the behavioral issues of a traumatized child, but watching her blossom and gain confidence over time made the struggle worth it.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Hello there! I'm Wellness, a single mother and nutritionist from Singapore. My son is four years old, and we've been living in Kallang for as long as I can remember. I wanted to join this conversation because, like you, I believe that sharing our stories can create awareness and potentially help someone else considering either adoption or foster care. It's quite a daunting process, and hearing first-hand accounts can really help others envision what it might be like.

I foster parented my nephew for two years while my sister was getting back on her feet. It was challenging because I had a young child myself, so managing two energetic boys was no easy feat. But it was a rewarding experience overall. There's a real sense of fulfillment in knowing you're helping a child grow and thrive, especially one so close to your heart.

What about you? What inspired you to become a foster parent, and how has your journey been so far?
I also live in Singapore, in the Bedok area, and am happy to hear of another local parent on this forum. It's quite rare to find other Asian parents here!

I became a foster parent because I felt a strong calling to help children who needed a safe and stable home. My husband and I had a difficult pregnancy with our first child and sadly lost the second one to miscarriage. We knew we wouldn't be able to have any more children, so fostering seemed like a natural choice for us - giving a home to those who needed one while expanding our own family.

It's been an extraordinary journey filled with challenges and unexpected rewards. Like you said, it's incredibly fulfilling to watch these children heal and blossom under your care. We've had three different placements so far, each with their unique situations, but all of them have left an indelible mark on our hearts.

It's wonderful to hear your story too and know there are others in Singapore on this path as well.

Hello Wellness, it's nice to hear your story!

I actually live quite near Kallang; Marine Parade is not too far away! As for what inspired me, I think it was the desire to make a difference in a child's life and offer them a safe and loving home. I've always wanted children and felt that foster parenting would be a very meaningful way to fulfil that desire, especially as it allows me to help kids who've had a tough start in life.

My journey has been challenging but incredibly fulfilling. It's heartwarming to watch the kids settle in, open up, and know they feel loved. I'm always touched by their resilience and strength too - it's a real privilege to get to know them and support their unique journeys. Each child who comes into my home leaves an indelible mark on my heart!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu