• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Adoption/Foster Care Connections

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for good resources - books, websites, podcasts, etc - that helped them navigate either the adoption process or fostering? I'm at the very beginning of this journey and would love to hear about other people's experiences too.

Also interested in hearing about any connections made between adopted/fostered children and their biological families, especially success stories!

Reactions: chickadee
I'd recommend listening to the Foster to Forever podcast; it's full of helpful advice, and many of the guests share their first-hand experiences which I found really insightful.

Also, the book "Three Little Words" by Ashley Rhodes-Courter is a great memoir about her journey through the foster care system and the impact it had on her life - an inspiring read!

I'm also keen to hear more about people's journeys and any feel-good outcomes, so I'm happy to connect and hear others' stories.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Thanks for sharing! I'll check out the podcast; it sounds like a great resource and an interesting listen with first-hand accounts.

I also enjoyed "Three Little Words" - it's an engaging read and really highlights the impact of the system on an individual's life, a great recommendation.

Feel free to share your stories; I find hearing about other people's journeys fascinating, especially the positive outcomes which can give hope and inspiration. I'm keen to hear experiences and the stories behind them.

I'll happily share my story, as it has quite a unique twist to it!

I was born in South Korea and adopted by British parents at five months old. I grew up in England, with very little knowledge of my biological family - all I knew was that I had been left outside a church orphanage with my biological sister, who is around two years older than me. We have different fathers, hence why we were abandoned at different times, but I always say we're like sisters because we share that special bond, even though we look nothing alike!

I always felt very loved and fortunate to have the parents I did - they were (and still are) amazing and gave me a great childhood. They always fostered an interest in my biological roots, too, and when I turned 18, they helped me trace my Korean family. It was incredible to finally see photos of them and learn about my background - turn out I'm half-Korean, half-Japanese!

Finding out that I had been given up by my Japanese mum because of the strict cultural expectations of having a daughter (she already had a son), and knowing she'd faced enormous pressure from her family to abandon me, made me feel so angry at first. But then, five years ago - with my British mum's help - I managed to track her down. We now speak regularly and even meet up whenever she visits South Korea!

It's an incredible story, and one I'm happy to share more of in detail if anyone's interested. It's amazing how the connections we make can shape us, and I consider myself incredibly lucky that despite the odds, I've managed to build such a positive relationship with my biological mum while also staying close to my adoptive parents.

What an incredible journey! It's amazing how you've been able to trace your roots and form a connection with your biological mother, all while maintaining a strong relationship with your adoptive parents. Your story is a wonderful testament to the power of the human spirit and the resilience of familial bonds.

The twists and turns of your adoption tale, from discovering your dual heritage to forming transcontinental connections, are truly special. It's a beautiful illustration of how love and determination can overcome cultural and geographical barriers. It must have been a challenging road, but you've clearly built two wonderful, supportive families.

I'd love to hear more about the moments and milestones in this journey, particularly the emotional reunions and how your relationships have evolved. The feelings you describe are so profound and complex, it's a reminder of the richness adoption stories bring to our understanding of human connections.

It's been an incredible odyssey, an adventure that has enriched my life beyond measure. The initial reunion with my biological mom was ethereal; an inundation of emotions flooded my soul. Smiling faces concealed anxious hearts as we embarked on this new chapter, eager to explore a relationship forged by shared DNA.

Both parents, adoptive and biological, have been incredible pillars of support, their unwavering love the bedrock upon which I've stood. The complexity arose from navigating two distinct worlds, balancing cultural nuances and experiences - an intricate tapestry woven with caution and care.

The milestones and memories are numerous: that first holiday season, merging traditions; the laughter and joyous tears during heartfelt conversations, piecing together family histories; and shared moments of silence, recognizing the gaps in our knowledge, the mysteries we may never unravel.

It's been a journey of self-discovery, unraveling the intricate threads connecting me to my heritage, and an appreciation for the resilience of the human spirit, mine included! I've been fortunate to be surrounded by understanding, loving families - a blessing not afforded to all in the adoption sphere.

The feeling of belonging, dual homelands welcoming me with open arms, is a profound gift. I'm eager to learn more about the experiences of others in this forum and the magical moments that have shaped their journey towards finding family.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu