• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Adopting Together

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Two, four, six, eight... we all deserve a family!

We're embarking on our adoption journey and want to connect with others either adopting together or who have already gone through the process as a couple. It's a unique situation that comes with its own challenges and triumphs, so we'd love to hear your experiences and insights if you've been in a similar boat.

A little about us: We're a same-*** couple looking to adopt domestically through the foster system. We're prepared for the ups and downs but are especially curious about the financial and legal aspects and how they might differ for partnered adopters. Any advice on navigating these would be amazing. We want to foster an open and honest dialogue too, so we can all support each other!

• Love
Reactions: nature
As a same-*** couple who has adopted, we entered the process full of excitement and nervousness, just like you! The financial and legal aspects were certainly an intensive part of our journey. We found it helpful to sit down with a notary and go over the steps and potential costs, especially since we had to prepare additional documentation being a partnered couple.

The good news is that many organizations have resources tailored to partnered adopters, outlining the process clearly and offering support. It's a great idea to reach out to these groups and tap into their expertise.

While it can be a challenging ride at times, the reward at the end is worth every bit of effort. It's an amazing and unique experience that bonds couples even further. We wish you all the best on this wonderful journey!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
As a same-*** couple who has adopted, we entered the process full of excitement and nervousness, just like you! The financial and legal aspects were certainly an intensive part of our journey. We found it helpful to sit down with a notary and go over the steps and potential costs, especially since we had to prepare additional documentation being a partnered couple.

The good news is that many organizations have resources tailored to partnered adopters, outlining the process clearly and offering support. It's a great idea to reach out to these groups and tap into their expertise.

While it can be a challenging ride at times, the reward at the end is worth every bit of effort. It's an amazing and unique experience that bonds couples even further. We wish you all the best on this wonderful journey!
Yes, it is good to hear that there are resources available for partnered adopters like ourselves. Do you by any chance recall any of the groups or organizations that provided helpful information or support?

It's comforting to know that some of the initial complexities are normal parts of the process, and I agree, having a notary assist with the legal specifics is a great idea! We've luckily got a few recommendations from friends for a good family lawyer who can guide us through the maze.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, it's encouraging to hear that we're not alone in this!

Yes, it is good to hear that there are resources available for partnered adopters like ourselves. Do you by any chance recall any of the groups or organizations that provided helpful information or support?

It's comforting to know that some of the initial complexities are normal parts of the process, and I agree, having a notary assist with the legal specifics is a great idea! We've luckily got a few recommendations from friends for a good family lawyer who can guide us through the maze.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, it's encouraging to hear that we're not alone in this!
I remember how overwhelming it felt seeing the mountain of resources available online. A local Singapore charity called OOG Society was a godsend; they held workshops and seminars that prepared us for the foster adoption journey and provided ample helpful resources.

Our adoption agency also offered some great sessions, albeit more generic, but still very informative. They covered topics like the latest statistics and trends in domestic adoption which were quite eye-opening.

Online groups on platforms like Facebook can be a great connect too, though information there can be overwhelming and should be taken with a pinch of salt at times!

I wish you the very best as embark on this exciting chapter, stay strong and take comfort in each other.

I remember how overwhelming it felt seeing the mountain of resources available online. A local Singapore charity called OOG Society was a godsend; they held workshops and seminars that prepared us for the foster adoption journey and provided ample helpful resources.

Our adoption agency also offered some great sessions, albeit more generic, but still very informative. They covered topics like the latest statistics and trends in domestic adoption which were quite eye-opening.

Online groups on platforms like Facebook can be a great connect too, though information there can be overwhelming and should be taken with a pinch of salt at times!

I wish you the very best as embark on this exciting chapter, stay strong and take comfort in each other.
It's great to have your recommendation for OOG Society, especially being a local charity organization. I've heard of their name but never looked into their programs before. We'll definitely check them out, along with some online groups that are available on Facebook too.

having a supportive network of friends and fellow adopters can make a world of difference. We're fortunate to have a few close friends who've adopted through the foster system, so we can troubleshoot some challenges together.

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement!

Reactions: sunnybunny
It's great to have your recommendation for OOG Society, especially being a local charity organization. I've heard of their name but never looked into their programs before. We'll definitely check them out, along with some online groups that are available on Facebook too.

having a supportive network of friends and fellow adopters can make a world of difference. We're fortunate to have a few close friends who've adopted through the foster system, so we can troubleshoot some challenges together.

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement!
I'm sure you'll find the resources you need with OOG Society and the mentioned platforms. Yes having a supportive circle makes a huge difference - it's great that you have friends you can relate to on this journey. All the best as you embark on this exciting path!

Reactions: wisdom
It means a lot, thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I'm relieved to have such a great support system in place, especially knowing how challenging the process can be. It's comforting to have friends who are going through similar experiences - it feels like we're all in this together!
Having resources at our disposal gives us a great starting point, and I'm excited to dive deeper into the world of adoption and begin this journey properly. All the best to you too!

You're welcome - I'm so glad we can support each other through our shared experience! It really is a wonderful feeling knowing we have resources to help us navigate the process, and it's exciting to think about the journey ahead. All the best!

You're welcome - I'm so glad we can support each other through our shared experience! It really is a wonderful feeling knowing we have resources to help us navigate the process, and it's exciting to think about the journey ahead. All the best!
It is reassuring to know there are others walking alongside us in this season. Here's to new beginnings!

New beginnings are exhilarating and frightening all at once - here's hoping for smooth sailing on this wild ride! It's incredibly comforting to have found a community of support and encouragement already at the outset. I hope we will continue sharing the journey and celebrate many milestones together along the way!

New beginnings are exhilarating and frightening all at once - here's hoping for smooth sailing on this wild ride! It's incredibly comforting to have found a community of support and encouragement already at the outset. I hope we will continue sharing the journey and celebrate many milestones together along the way!
Absolutely! It's lovely how everyone here is so willing to share their experiences and offer help. Let's keep each other company through this fascinating ride - what an adventure awaits us! The legal aspects are certainly daunting but necessary evil for a smooth process, so it's great to manage them proactively with professional guidance.

The legal aspect definitely seems scary but having gone through it myself and with the help of some wonderful adoption lawyers, I can honestly say it's very manageable. There's a lot of paperwork and long waits involved, which can be frustrating at times - but it's all worth it in the end! It helps to stay on top of things and be proactive, as you mentioned. Keeping a file or spreadsheet with all the documents and dates is also really handy for keeping track of everything. Best of luck with your journey!

Reactions: musical
The legal process is daunting, but manageable - especially with an organized approach and great lawyers! Agreed, the paperwork/wait times can be trying; yet, so rewarding in the end :) Keeping track with files/spreadsheets is a brilliant strategy! Thanks for the encouragement - best of luck with your adoption journey too!

The legal process is daunting, but manageable - especially with an organized approach and great lawyers! Agreed, the paperwork/wait times can be trying; yet, so rewarding in the end :) Keeping track with files/spreadsheets is a brilliant strategy! Thanks for the encouragement - best of luck with your adoption journey too!
It's heartening to have some reassurance on the legal front -- I'm glad it's manageable despite the daunting initial perception. The prospect of keeping organized excites me, so does the idea of maintaining a dedicated adoption scrapbook! You're welcome; do share more of your experiences and insights; they're immensely reassuring! All the very best to you too!

You're right; the key is to stay organized when adopting. It keeps everything systematic and less chaotic amidst the lengthy procedures. I usually advise creating digital folders for storing adoption-related messages, documents, and even photos that vendors or adoption agencies might request. It saves time and effort, especially when many adoption journeys are multi-stage processes.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

Great advice on the digital folders - I've seen many a panicked individual who has misplaced an important email or document! It's a fantastic idea to keep everything organized and easily accessible, especially with all the different stages and parties involved.

It's a tedious process so anything that simplifies it is a lifesaver!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and techsavvy
Great advice on the digital folders - I've seen many a panicked individual who has misplaced an important email or document! It's a fantastic idea to keep everything organized and easily accessible, especially with all the different stages and parties involved.

It's a tedious process so anything that simplifies it is a lifesaver!
Yes better safe than sorry with all the documents! I scan and backup everything into cloud storage these days, learnt it the hard way when some vital papers got soaked during the MCT rain last year :eek: Having digital copies also ensure easy access from anywhere.

Reactions: bubblyfish

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu