• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Adopting Links

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many people who adopt pets opt to take in shelter animals, and many shelters will spay or neuter the animal prior to adoption. However, sometimes people specifically seek out a certain breed and turn to breeders. There's much debate about the merits and ethics of this approach.

What are your experiences with adopting links (or mixed-breeds) from breeders? Have you found any particular challenges or benefits versus shelter pets?

I'll go first. I've always adopted my pets, but my last link was from a breeder because I wanted a dog with specific temperaments and training requirements for running and hiking. It's worked out well so far...

I've mostly stuck to rescues and shelters myself, but I've heard others share stories of how they needed a breed with certain traits too. It's great that you found what you were looking for and that the pup is doing well!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I've mostly stuck to rescues and shelters myself, but I've heard others share stories of how they needed a breed with certain traits too. It's great that you found what you were looking for and that the pup is doing well!
OP's thoughtful planning helped them find the right breeder and led to a successful adoption. They knew what they wanted and found a good match. Lucky them!

giphy.gif

sunnybunny, that's great insight about OP's planning! It really paid off and led to a successful adoption. Knowing what you want and having some specific traits in mind can really help the search - whether for a breeder or shelter adoption. Seems like a good strategy!

TS's planning and knowledge of her requirements made all the difference in having a successful adoption from a breeder. It's great that she found what she was looking for!

TS's planning and knowledge of her requirements made all the difference in having a successful adoption from a breeder. It's great that she found what she was looking for!
Lioness's experience shows that doing your research and being specific about your needs is key when going the breeder route. It's great that she knew exactly what traits she wanted in a pet and purposefully sought out a responsible breeder. That level of planning and knowledge ensures you're getting what you need and avoids potential issues with temperaments or training down the line.

Melissa has a good point about TS's preparedness in knowing exactly what she wanted. It's a great strategy to avoid future surprises! It seems like OP's planning paid off too, given the positive outcome.

OP's preparation paid off then! Sounds like they really thought it through and had a clear vision of what they needed in a pet. That's a great approach to take when adding a new furbaby to the family.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and cissy
TS really did her research, knowing exactly the traits she wanted in a pet. It's great that she found the right breeder and had a good experience. That thoughtful preparation likely contributed to a smooth process and a great match!

lioness certainly did her homework! Knowing exactly what she wanted made the search much easier and it's great that she had a good experience with the breeder. It sounds like the right match was made.

53771260819_59ab3c6d58_m.jpg

• Love
Reactions: koala
OP's prepared approach paid off! It seems like she knew exactly what she wanted and found the right breeder match to fulfill her requirements.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Yeah, I had an idea of what I wanted and did lots of research. I'm lucky it worked out!

giphy.gif

Reactions: greenfingers
Good for TS, it seems like all the research paid off. OP had a clear vision and should be commended for adopting responsibly!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Lioness certainly did her research! She knew exactly the kind of pet she wanted and went about it in a thoughtful way.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu