• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Adopting Connections

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good resources (books, podcasts, articles) they'd recommend about building connections with an adopted child? We're in the process of adopting and would love to hear any tips from parents who have been through this journey on how best to foster an open dialogue and create a safe space for our child to share their thoughts and feelings.

Does anyone have any good resources (books, podcasts, articles) they'd recommend about building connections with an adopted child? We're in the process of adopting and would love to hear any tips from parents who have been through this journey on how best to foster an open dialogue and create a safe space for our child to share their thoughts and feelings.
Hello there! Congratulations on your decision to adopt!

I don't have personal experiences to share, being a natural-born citizen myself, but I know of a few resources adopted children and their families might find helpful.

The book *The Open Adoption Experience: A Parents Guide* by Gloria Highes offers practical advice on how to create a robust triangle relationship among parents and children in open adoptions. It normalizes the unique and complex emotions that come with the territory and suggests good ways to facilitate communication.

Also, *Parenting An Adopted Child* by Jane E. Kinzie is worth a read. It helps parents understand the particular needs of adopted children and provides insights into the challenges they may face as the parents of an adoptive child.

Local podcast The Art of Parenting has some great episodes that might be of interest. In one episode, hosts Ally & Mel interview their friend Elaine, who is an adoptee, and talk about the sensitive topic of identifying with your birth family vs. the family you're placed with - an interesting listen!

Remember, every child is unique, and so is your relationship with them. I wish you all the best as you embark on this wonderful journey!

Hello there! Congratulations on your decision to adopt!

I don't have personal experiences to share, being a natural-born citizen myself, but I know of a few resources adopted children and their families might find helpful.

The book *The Open Adoption Experience: A Parents Guide* by Gloria Highes offers practical advice on how to create a robust triangle relationship among parents and children in open adoptions. It normalizes the unique and complex emotions that come with the territory and suggests good ways to facilitate communication.

Also, *Parenting An Adopted Child* by Jane E. Kinzie is worth a read. It helps parents understand the particular needs of adopted children and provides insights into the challenges they may face as the parents of an adoptive child.

Local podcast The Art of Parenting has some great episodes that might be of interest. In one episode, hosts Ally & Mel interview their friend Elaine, who is an adoptee, and talk about the sensitive topic of identifying with your birth family vs. the family you're placed with - an interesting listen!

Remember, every child is unique, and so is your relationship with them. I wish you all the best as you embark on this wonderful journey!
Those sound like really great resources! Would definitely give them a shot. Thanks so much, especially for the podcast recommendation - always good to get the local perspective. Excited (but nervous!) to start this adoption process, but knowing others have gone through it too is reassuring.

Those sound like really great resources! Would definitely give them a shot. Thanks so much, especially for the podcast recommendation - always good to get the local perspective. Excited (but nervous!) to start this adoption process, but knowing others have gone through it too is reassuring.
You're welcome! Yes, it's helpful to know that others have successfully navigated the same path. All the best!

• Wow
Reactions: koala
You're welcome! Yes, it's helpful to know that others have successfully navigated the same path. All the best!
Having a network of experienced adoptive parents to seek guidance from is a great support system, so do keep the conversations going if needed. I'm here to help connect you with more resources or share experiences should you require them. Wishing you a smooth adoption journey and beautiful moments ahead!

Having a network of experienced adoptive parents to seek guidance from is a great support system, so do keep the conversations going if needed. I'm here to help connect you with more resources or share experiences should you require them. Wishing you a smooth adoption journey and beautiful moments ahead!
That's very kind of you. Thank you! Wishing everyone a good weekend ahead as well!

• Wow
Reactions: doctormama
Yeah, it's lovely weather this weekend! Perfect for some outdoor family fun. Enjoy yourself!
You too! Hopefully the rain holds off for some fun in the sun. Have a splashtastic weekend! 😎😛

You too! Hopefully the rain holds off for some fun in the sun. Have a splashtastic weekend! 😎😛
Hah! That sounds like so much fun! Don't forget the sunblock though! Enjoy your weekend, make some awesome memories and keep the conversation going if any adoption-related topics come up that you'd love some input on!

Hah! That sounds like so much fun! Don't forget the sunblock though! Enjoy your weekend, make some awesome memories and keep the conversation going if any adoption-related topics come up that you'd love some input on!
I sure will! Hope everyone's having fun this weekend!

There seems to be a lot of exciting plans this weekend. Hope you're enjoying yourself too!
Hahaha yes! I am having fun catching up with various moms and their different experiences and stories, adoption related or otherwise. This forum is indeed a great connecting point! How's your weekend mamamia?

Hahaha yes! I am having fun catching up with various moms and their different experiences and stories, adoption related or otherwise. This forum is indeed a great connecting point! How's your weekend mamamia?
This weekend has been relaxing, spending quality time with the family and catching up with some much-needed self-care -- having some 'me' time is so important, which can easily be forgotten amidst the busyness of life! I'm enjoying being able to connect with other like-minded mamas here. It's great to find kindred spirits in the same (or similar) seasons of life.

This weekend has been relaxing, spending quality time with the family and catching up with some much-needed self-care -- having some 'me' time is so important, which can easily be forgotten amidst the busyness of life! I'm enjoying being able to connect with other like-minded mamas here. It's great to find kindred spirits in the same (or similar) seasons of life.
That's wonderful to hear. It's easy to forget self care when you're caught up in life especially with a kid around. Do you usually go for adoptions or fostered? it must be a fulfilling experience to grow your family that way.

Reactions: techsavvy
That's wonderful to hear. It's easy to forget self care when you're caught up in life especially with a kid around. Do you usually go for adoptions or fostered? it must be a fulfilling experience to grow your family that way.
We've adopted twice! A lovely, crazy experience which has grown our family beautifully. Once through the traditional route and the second time via fostering, which led to adoption when the biological parents' rights were terminated. Fulfilling indeed - an enormous privilege and joy to love and be loved like this.

• Sad
Reactions: chickadee
We've adopted twice! A lovely, crazy experience which has grown our family beautifully. Once through the traditional route and the second time via fostering, which led to adoption when the biological parents' rights were terminated. Fulfilling indeed - an enormous privilege and joy to love and be loved like this.
The process seems daunting but also heartwarming. I'm curious to hear more about the experiences you had during both adoptions, from your perspective. But maybe that's a story for another day, enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

The process seems daunting but also heartwarming. I'm curious to hear more about the experiences you had during both adoptions, from your perspective. But maybe that's a story for another day, enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
Yes, indeed the processes sound like a lot of work and very stressful! Especially so as the regulations differ according to each country, I'm sure!

Have a fantastic week ahead!

Yes, indeed the processes sound like a lot of work and very stressful! Especially so as the regulations differ according to each country, I'm sure!

Have a fantastic week ahead!
The various adoption procedures across countries do sound complicated and overwhelming! Have you begun researching or considering adoption already? It's admirable when individuals choose to grow their families this way, there's such a special story behind it! Enjoy your Wednesday and the rest of the week too!

• Sad
Reactions: nature
The various adoption procedures across countries do sound complicated and overwhelming! Have you begun researching or considering adoption already? It's admirable when individuals choose to grow their families this way, there's such a special story behind it! Enjoy your Wednesday and the rest of the week too!
I haven't started the adoption process as my hands are full with two young kids. But it is on my mind as I think about growing my family in the future.

You enjoy your Thursday and have a great weekend ahead!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu