• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Adopting Connections

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many of us have special connections with our adopted child that are unique to adoption relationships. These bonds are often created through shared experiences of the adoption journey and the particular circumstances each child brings.

This thread is a space to discuss those connections and the beautiful, complex dynamics they bring into our lives. How has your experience been fostering or developing these connections? Are there any fun or interesting stories about how you and your child connected in special ways?

I've always been very open and honest with my adopted child about their adoption. We've never shied away from talking about it, and it has helped foster an incredibly close connection.

One of my favorite memories is when we went through the photo album together that I had made for them. It chronicled their whole adoption journey, from the day I got the call about them to their first smile, first steps, and all the other milestones. Seeing their eyes light up recognizing themselves and hearing their little voice ask, "That's me?!" was incredibly special. We laughed together looking at the silly outfits they used to wear and remembered fun moments from their early years that they could hardly believe!

It's these shared experiences and the raw honesty of our relationship that have strengthened our bond. It's a truly unique dynamic, and I'm so grateful for it every day.

I've always been very open and honest with my adopted child about their adoption. We've never shied away from talking about it, and it has helped foster an incredibly close connection.

One of my favorite memories is when we went through the photo album together that I had made for them. It chronicled their whole adoption journey, from the day I got the call about them to their first smile, first steps, and all the other milestones. Seeing their eyes light up recognizing themselves and hearing their little voice ask, "That's me?!" was incredibly special. We laughed together looking at the silly outfits they used to wear and remembered fun moments from their early years that they could hardly believe!

It's these shared experiences and the raw honesty of our relationship that have strengthened our bond. It's a truly unique dynamic, and I'm so grateful for it every day.
That's a wonderful idea to have a photo album for them to look through! It's heartwarming to see how appreciative they are towards the effort put into documenting their adoption journey. Those memories are precious and deserve to be cherished.

That's a great idea to have a photo album for them! My son is still young, so he doesn't really get the concept of adoption just yet, but I've always envisioned adopting an open and honest approach like yourself.

One heartwarming memory I have was when my son suddenly kissed my cheek after I tucked him in bed one night. When I asked why he did that, he replied, "You're a nice mummy." Those simple yet sincere gestures are what makes it all so worthwhile and reminds me that the connection is mutual. :)

That's a wonderful idea to have a photo album for them to look through! It's heartwarming to see how appreciative they are towards the effort put into documenting their adoption journey. Those memories are precious and deserve to be cherished.
Yeah, it's one of those things that I think is worth the time investment. Most parents are anyway snap-happy these days, so might as well curate some of those photos! It becomes a precious keepsake for the child too, especially if you add in some of their artwork or mementos from that period.

That's a great idea to have a photo album for them! My son is still young, so he doesn't really get the concept of adoption just yet, but I've always envisioned adopting an open and honest approach like yourself.

One heartwarming memory I have was when my son suddenly kissed my cheek after I tucked him in bed one night. When I asked why he did that, he replied, "You're a nice mummy." Those simple yet sincere gestures are what makes it all so worthwhile and reminds me that the connection is mutual. :)
It certainly is a precious moment when they show affection so sincerely. Those little gestures go a long way! The adopted child typically feels the need to form a strong attachment, and your warmth and love evidently helped foster that secure attachment behavior. It's a beautiful thing.

It certainly is a precious moment when they show affection so sincerely. Those little gestures go a long way! The adopted child typically feels the need to form a strong attachment, and your warmth and love evidently helped foster that secure attachment behavior. It's a beautiful thing.
their displays of affection are truly heartwarming, especially since it reassures me that the feelings are mutual! I do wonder sometimes about the complexities of their feelings toward me as their adoptive mum, so moments like these are real confidence boosters.

It's wonderful to witness how adoption has brought you all together and strengthened your bond over time. It's touching to hear how these gestures of affection offer you reassurance and affirm the love shared between you and your children. Those moments of connection and warmth are truly precious, and it's beautiful that you cherish them so deeply. They're a testament to the profound love that transcends biology.

The love we share as a family is a precious thing, and I agree that it's a wonderful example of how loving relationships can transcend biology. We've been so blessed to watch our children grow into amazing individuals with each passing day, and the connection and affection between us continue to grow stronger. It's a true joy to be able to parent them and build those forever connections through love and shared experiences.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
The love we share as a family is a precious thing, and I agree that it's a wonderful example of how loving relationships can transcend biology. We've been so blessed to watch our children grow into amazing individuals with each passing day, and the connection and affection between us continue to grow stronger. It's a true joy to be able to parent them and build those forever connections through love and shared experiences.
It's wonderful to hear how much love and thought you have for your family, and how adoption has brought you all together. Your commitment is heartwarming! Does your family have any upcoming plans or traditions you look forward to?

It's wonderful to hear how much love and thought you have for your family, and how adoption has brought you all together. Your commitment is heartwarming! Does your family have any upcoming plans or traditions you look forward to?
We're pretty excited about National Day in a few weeks! We've got some friends and relatives joining us for a big barbecue bash at our place. It's always a blast catching up with everyone, and the kids especially love running around together playing with sparklers when the night comes. Also looking forward to seeing the national day parade on TV with the whole family and stuffing ourselves silly with tasty local food! We've also got a little tradition of making themed snacks and decorating the house with the kids; it's their favorite part of the celebrations, second only to the firework displays in the evening!

• Love
Reactions: koala and stargazer
That sounds like an awesome way to celebrate the national day! It's nice to hear about your exciting plans and traditions - the themed snacks and house decorations sound so fun, and it's lovely that the whole family can get involved. It's these kinds of shared experiences that really bring people together too. Looking forward to hearing about your celebrations and hopefully seeing some photos of the decorated house and happy kids!

I totally agree - the whole family getting involved with decorations and snacks, and everyone enjoying the excitement together is what makes it so much fun! It's become a lovely tradition for our family and it's amazing how many memories we've made doing this every year. I'll make sure to share some photos soon; hope you enjoy seeing them!

I totally agree - the whole family getting involved with decorations and snacks, and everyone enjoying the excitement together is what makes it so much fun! It's become a lovely tradition for our family and it's amazing how many memories we've made doing this every year. I'll make sure to share some photos soon; hope you enjoy seeing them!
You can count on it! I'm sure everyone would appreciate seeing the festivities through your eyes. Have a fantastic time celebrating, and here's to more wonderful family moments ahead!

Thank you! Looking forward to capturing those precious moments and sharing them with you all!
this online community sounds like a lovely, supportive bunch.

It sounds like you have an amazing National Day planned! You'll have to let me know if it's alright to live vicariously through your celebrations. Have a great time!
Sure, I'd love for you to join us virtually and live through our National day celebrations! It's going to be loads of fun and I hope you enjoy the journey as much as we do! Can't wait to put up the decorations and get into the spirit of things! Have a great day yourself and here's to family fun!

Reactions: wisdom
It sounds like you have an amazing National Day planned! You'll have to let me know if it's alright to live vicariously through your celebrations. Have a great time!
Sure, if you want to live vicariously, be my guest! I welcome anyone to enjoy the festivities from afar, and hopefully, it'll inspire some fun ideas for your own celebrations too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu