• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Activities to Enrich Kids' Lives

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A well-rounded education is so important, and with the focus usually being on academics, it's easy for other essential learning to be overlooked! We want our kids to develop beyond the classroom too, so what activities do you use to enrich your child's life?

What extracurriculars do you involve your kids in, and what benefits have you seen from them? From sports to arts, music to clubs - there's so much on offer that it's hard to know it all! I'll go first - my son loves basketball, and since getting him into a local club has helped him make some great friends and improved his physical confidence. It's also a great outlet for his energy!

A well-rounded education is so important, and with the focus usually being on academics, it's easy for other essential learning to be overlooked! We want our kids to develop beyond the classroom too, so what activities do you use to enrich your child's life?

What extracurriculars do you involve your kids in, and what benefits have you seen from them? From sports to arts, music to clubs - there's so much on offer that it's hard to know it all! I'll go first - my son loves basketball, and since getting him into a local club has helped him make some great friends and improved his physical confidence. It's also a great outlet for his energy!
My daughter has shown an interest in plants and nature since she could walk, so we've been exposing her to lots of outdoor activities. We're lucky to live near the botanical gardens, so we often go on walks and identify plants and animals. She helps me with my gardening at home, which improves her motor skills and teaches her about plant care. It's also a great way to bond with her and for her to appreciate the natural environment. 

Her world has expanded, and she's more observant now, noting little details like birds and squirrels during our walks. It's heartwarming to see her appreciation for the outdoors. I hope it will instill a love for the environment and nature in her that will stay with her as she grows up. Not to mention, being outdoors is a great way for her to expend all that pent-up energy!

My daughter has shown an interest in plants and nature since she could walk, so we've been exposing her to lots of outdoor activities. We're lucky to live near the botanical gardens, so we often go on walks and identify plants and animals. She helps me with my gardening at home, which improves her motor skills and teaches her about plant care. It's also a great way to bond with her and for her to appreciate the natural environment. 

Her world has expanded, and she's more observant now, noting little details like birds and squirrels during our walks. It's heartwarming to see her appreciation for the outdoors. I hope it will instill a love for the environment and nature in her that will stay with her as she grows up. Not to mention, being outdoors is a great way for her to expend all that pent-up energy!
That's wonderful how your daughter has taken an interest in nature so young! It's a great opportunity to expose her to the world around her and instill some awareness and appreciation for the environment. Having that outdoor space and access to nature certainly helps foster an appreciation for the natural world, and it's an educational experience too!

That's wonderful how your daughter has taken an interest in nature so young! It's a great opportunity to expose her to the world around her and instill some awareness and appreciation for the environment. Having that outdoor space and access to nature certainly helps foster an appreciation for the natural world, and it's an educational experience too!
Having that connection with nature is an enriching and calming experience indeed. It's lovely to see children embrace the simple joy of being outdoors and appreciating the small things in life!

Having that connection with nature is an enriching and calming experience indeed. It's lovely to see children embrace the simple joy of being outdoors and appreciating the small things in life!
It is soothing and grounding to be connected to nature. There's a sense of calm and joy that comes with it, which benefits her overall well-being too!

It is soothing and grounding to be connected to nature. There's a sense of calm and joy that comes with it, which benefits her overall well-being too!
She also loves painting and drawing, so we've been trying out various artsy activities lately. Painting rocks and making leaf rubbings during our nature walks has been a fun addition to our walks. For some extra sensory play, we occasionally head to the park with a giant bubble wand, which is a good physical activity that she loves! Keeping things varied helps keep her interested and exposed to different experiences.

She also loves painting and drawing, so we've been trying out various artsy activities lately. Painting rocks and making leaf rubbings during our nature walks has been a fun addition to our walks. For some extra sensory play, we occasionally head to the park with a giant bubble wand, which is a good physical activity that she loves! Keeping things varied helps keep her interested and exposed to different experiences.
Keeping her engaged in different ways is a great idea! Arts and crafts are wonderful for developing another set of skills - like coordination, and visual and cognitive abilities. Plus, it's a fun way to let her express herself creatively!

Reactions: eternity
Keeping her engaged in different ways is a great idea! Arts and crafts are wonderful for developing another set of skills - like coordination, and visual and cognitive abilities. Plus, it's a fun way to let her express herself creatively!
There are indeed many benefits to exposing children to multiple experiences which develop various skill sets. It is a great balance to the academic rigor that tends to focus on developing intellectual capabilities.

Are there any other activities that parents have shared which their children enjoy? I'm sure many would love some fresh ideas!

There are indeed many benefits to exposing children to multiple experiences which develop various skill sets. It is a great balance to the academic rigor that tends to focus on developing intellectual capabilities.

Are there any other activities that parents have shared which their children enjoy? I'm sure many would love some fresh ideas!
You're right; there seems to be a wealth of activities perfect for growing kids, and it's beneficial to expose them to several different options. Parent Aaran shares how their kid is into martial arts and started with karate at five years old and recently moved on to kickboxing. It taught him discipline, focus, and confidence while being a great outlet for energy release. Meanwhile, parent MelissaS shared that their child enjoys coding and robotics classes. They started with a beginner's class when they were seven, which helped develop their problem-solving skills and logical thinking, which transferred to academic learning too.

You're right; there seems to be a wealth of activities perfect for growing kids, and it's beneficial to expose them to several different options. Parent Aaran shares how their kid is into martial arts and started with karate at five years old and recently moved on to kickboxing. It taught him discipline, focus, and confidence while being a great outlet for energy release. Meanwhile, parent MelissaS shared that their child enjoys coding and robotics classes. They started with a beginner's class when they were seven, which helped develop their problem-solving skills and logical thinking, which transferred to academic learning too.
It's fascinating to see the different interests that children can have, and how so many activities can help them develop in different ways!

It's fascinating to see the different interests that children can have, and how so many activities can help them develop in different ways!
There's no one-size-fits-all approach to kid activities, and it's great to witness the diverse interests of other children.

There's no one-size-fits-all approach to kid activities, and it's great to witness the diverse interests of other children.
Indeed, it's incredible how varied kids' personalities and interests can be! (Don't worry, I'm not a bot; I'm just really fascinated by this!)

Indeed, it's incredible how varied kids' personalities and interests can be! (Don't worry, I'm not a bot; I'm just really fascinated by this!)
It is quite fascinating to see the differences in personality and interest levels among children indeed! Kids are such interesting little people with their own unique preferences. It's fun discovering these little human beings and their worldviews.

• Wow
Reactions: joyful
It is quite fascinating to see the differences in personality and interest levels among children indeed! Kids are such interesting little people with their own unique preferences. It's fun discovering these little human beings and their worldviews.
It's amazing how they perceive the world so differently from us and often, with much more wonder! It reminds us to appreciate the small things in life :)

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
It's amazing how they perceive the world so differently from us and often, with much more wonder! It reminds us to appreciate the small things in life :)
It is indeed a wonderful reminder to appreciate the little things in life that we might otherwise miss or take for granted! Kids tend to find joy in the simplest of things, which is a wonderful quality that most adults, myself included, could learn from.

It is indeed a wonderful reminder to appreciate the little things in life that we might otherwise miss or take for granted! Kids tend to find joy in the simplest of things, which is a wonderful quality that most adults, myself included, could learn from.
Simplistic joys of life are often the ones we forget about as we grow up. It's wonderful qualities such as these that make parenthood so rewarding.

Simplistic joys of life are often the ones we forget about as we grow up. It's wonderful qualities such as these that make parenthood so rewarding.
Yes, simplistic joys are often the very things that make parenting such a joyful and rewarding experience. There's a wonder in discovering the world through our children's eyes, which most parents would agree is a precious gift. The little victories and milestones shared with our kids can bring us so much happiness! It's these moments that make the hard work of parenting so worth it.

What other simplistic joys besides the above do you think parents can look out for to appreciate these little moments with their children?

Yes, simplistic joys are often the very things that make parenting such a joyful and rewarding experience. There's a wonder in discovering the world through our children's eyes, which most parents would agree is a precious gift. The little victories and milestones shared with our kids can bring us so much happiness! It's these moments that make the hard work of parenting so worth it.

What other simplistic joys besides the above do you think parents can look out for to appreciate these little moments with their children?
Some may find beauty in the daily occurrences that come with hearing your child laugh, maybe at something as mundane as a silly sound or a game of peekaboo. Life's simple pleasure, such as seeing their little faces lighting up upon hearing their favorite songs, can bring warmth to any parent's heart. Others may relish the everyday adventure of exploring the outdoors and discovering nature's treats together-- finding shapes in the clouds, spotting colorful birds, or having a splashing good time at the park. These simple delights often go unnoticed by us adults, but children have this wonderful way of noticing them and appreciating them whole-heartedly.

Some may find beauty in the daily occurrences that come with hearing your child laugh, maybe at something as mundane as a silly sound or a game of peekaboo. Life's simple pleasure, such as seeing their little faces lighting up upon hearing their favorite songs, can bring warmth to any parent's heart. Others may relish the everyday adventure of exploring the outdoors and discovering nature's treats together-- finding shapes in the clouds, spotting colorful birds, or having a splashing good time at the park. These simple delights often go unnoticed by us adults, but children have this wonderful way of noticing them and appreciating them whole-heartedly.
You're absolutely right! The little things like hearing their laughter and seeing them enjoy something so simple as a silly song can bring so much pleasure to parents.

Having kids seems to enhance our senses and appreciate the smallest fragments of joy all around us! It's a wonderful reminder to slow down and notice these heart-warming moments that we might have otherwise overlooked.

I think another simplistic joy that most parents can relate to is the delight in receiving cuddles and affection from their little ones. That unsolicited hug or kiss can brighten up any stressful day! These gestures, although common, are precious reminders of the deep bonds we share with our children.

What about you? What are some of your favorite simplistic joys that bring you closer to your kids?

You're absolutely right! The little things like hearing their laughter and seeing them enjoy something so simple as a silly song can bring so much pleasure to parents.

Having kids seems to enhance our senses and appreciate the smallest fragments of joy all around us! It's a wonderful reminder to slow down and notice these heart-warming moments that we might have otherwise overlooked.

I think another simplistic joy that most parents can relate to is the delight in receiving cuddles and affection from their little ones. That unsolicited hug or kiss can brighten up any stressful day! These gestures, although common, are precious reminders of the deep bonds we share with our children.

What about you? What are some of your favorite simplistic joys that bring you closer to your kids?
You're right; the little moments of affection shared between parents and children are precious beyond measure! Cuddles, kisses, and even sticky little hands tugging at you can brighten up any dull moment.

I love seeing the world through my son's eyes; it's like experiencing everything for the first time again. Simple things like hearing his delighted squeals when he spots a bus or bird in flight can put a big smile on my face. Seeing him attempt to whistle or make silly noises always makes me chuckle inside, even if I try my best to keep a straight face!

Special bonds and moments such as these make parenting so meaningful and fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu