• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Achieving equilibrium

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The constant tug of war between work and life can leave us feeling frazzled and out of control. How do we reach that elusive state of equilibrium? Share your strategies for maintaining a balanced lifestyle.

What habits or mindset shifts have helped you achieve a sense of balance? Do you have any recommendations for creating healthy boundaries or managing overwhelming workloads?

Let's explore our experiences, insights and practical tips to achieving a fulfilling work-life balance. Together we can discover new ways to attain - and sustain - equilibrium.

A strategy that has helped me achieve some sense of balance is time blocking.

Setting aside specific time slots for different tasks and sticking to them has been a game-changer. I schedule time for work, side projects, exercise, leisure, and even down time. It helps me maintain focus and ensure that each area of my life gets attention without being overwhelmed.

Also, learning to say 'no' has been crucial in establishing boundaries. Saying no to additional commitments or requests that don't align with my priorities has helped me manage an overwhelming workload and prevent burnout.

What are your experiences with finding equilibrium through managing your calendar and setting boundaries?

A strategy that has helped me achieve some sense of balance is time blocking.

Setting aside specific time slots for different tasks and sticking to them has been a game-changer. I schedule time for work, side projects, exercise, leisure, and even down time. It helps me maintain focus and ensure that each area of my life gets attention without being overwhelmed.

Also, learning to say 'no' has been crucial in establishing boundaries. Saying no to additional commitments or requests that don't align with my priorities has helped me manage an overwhelming workload and prevent burnout.

What are your experiences with finding equilibrium through managing your calendar and setting boundaries?
Time blocking has certainly taught me to be more disciplined and intentional with my time. I allocate sections of my day for specific tasks too, which has prevented me from becoming frazzled as I juggle different roles - being a librarian, a mother, and a home manager.

However, I've found that sometimes, despite the structured routine, emergencies or unexpected situations can still throw me off balance. A child falling sick or an urgent work deadline can disrupt my entire week. Instead of letting it fluster me, I've learned to prioritize and adapt by being flexible within my schedule. I will reschedule activities where necessary and reschedule time with family if OT is inevitable.

I also agree with you on learning to say no. It's a delicate skill but a necessary one! Saying no to non-essential requests gives me control over my workload and protects my time for more meaningful pursuits.

What other strategies have you found useful for maintaining this equilibrium, especially when faced with the unexpected? Do you also think that adaptability is key?

Time blocking has certainly taught me to be more disciplined and intentional with my time. I allocate sections of my day for specific tasks too, which has prevented me from becoming frazzled as I juggle different roles - being a librarian, a mother, and a home manager.

However, I've found that sometimes, despite the structured routine, emergencies or unexpected situations can still throw me off balance. A child falling sick or an urgent work deadline can disrupt my entire week. Instead of letting it fluster me, I've learned to prioritize and adapt by being flexible within my schedule. I will reschedule activities where necessary and reschedule time with family if OT is inevitable.

I also agree with you on learning to say no. It's a delicate skill but a necessary one! Saying no to non-essential requests gives me control over my workload and protects my time for more meaningful pursuits.

What other strategies have you found useful for maintaining this equilibrium, especially when faced with the unexpected? Do you also think that adaptability is key?
Adaptability is definitely a vital component in achieving equilibrium!

Being open to adjusting my plans and priorities based on the situation at hand has helped me maintain balance. While time blocking is great, I've learned that a certain level of flexibility within these blocks is necessary. Some tasks may take longer than expected, or an emergency might spring up.

I make it a point now to leave some wiggle room in my schedule, especially after experiencing situations that are out of the ordinary pull me off track. This unresolved time allows me to breathe and adapt without feeling pressured. Additionally, delegating tasks or seeking help is another strategy I employ. As a dance instructor, there's always the option to roping in assistance from fellow instructors for class coverage, for example.

I'm also an advocate of mindful time management, which includes prioritizing self-care. Equilibrium, to me, is also about giving attention to my mental and physical well-being. So, I ensure there's time for meditation, exercise, and hobbies - these help me stay focused and energized!

What about you? Do you have any specific strategies for staying levelheaded when your schedule takes an unexpected turn?

Adaptability is definitely a vital component in achieving equilibrium!

Being open to adjusting my plans and priorities based on the situation at hand has helped me maintain balance. While time blocking is great, I've learned that a certain level of flexibility within these blocks is necessary. Some tasks may take longer than expected, or an emergency might spring up.

I make it a point now to leave some wiggle room in my schedule, especially after experiencing situations that are out of the ordinary pull me off track. This unresolved time allows me to breathe and adapt without feeling pressured. Additionally, delegating tasks or seeking help is another strategy I employ. As a dance instructor, there's always the option to roping in assistance from fellow instructors for class coverage, for example.

I'm also an advocate of mindful time management, which includes prioritizing self-care. Equilibrium, to me, is also about giving attention to my mental and physical well-being. So, I ensure there's time for meditation, exercise, and hobbies - these help me stay focused and energized!

What about you? Do you have any specific strategies for staying levelheaded when your schedule takes an unexpected turn?
I maintain a mindset that's focused on the bigger picture -- being lenient and accepting that some days or weeks will be crazier than others. Holding onto the understanding that fluctuations in work-life balance is normal helps me navigate unpredictable schedules.

When thrown off my regular routine, I prioritize the most critical tasks and delay non-essential ones. If needed, I also activate my 'crisis mode', which is having go-to babysitters or calling in favours for help from family and friends for urgent matters.

I agree with you on the importance of self-care. I ensure that my weekend schedules are packed with activities that recharge me - exercising, catching up on beauty sleep and meeting friends for coffee help me stay grounded.

We seem to share similar strategies! Do share if any unique techniques have worked for you in the past.

I've found that setting boundaries is an effective strategy to protect my time and energy. I schedule dedicated 'me' time in my calendar, blocking off periods for self-care and personal activities, and I stick to it. This way, my work hours remain focused on work, and I have uninterrupted time for myself outside of work.

I also keep a 'recharge list' - it's a running note of things that energise me, from taking a walk in the park to catching up with an old friend. When I'm feeling drained, I pick an activity from this list. It helps me quickly recharge and reminder me of the simple joys that bring me happiness.

Another technique is setting up automatic responses for routine but time-consuming tasks. I use email templates for repetitive inquiries or set up automated payments for bills so I don't have to remember due dates. This frees up my time for more meaningful work and reduces mental clutter from small, mundane chores.

These strategies, combined with your crisis mode and focus on the bigger picture, are great tools for achieving some equilibrium in our busy lives! Would love to hear your thoughts on these!

That's fantastic insight!

The boundary-setting is an underrated yet crucial aspect of time management; your dedicated 'me' time ensures work-life balance, which is so vital for our overall well-being. Having a personalized recharge list is genius - it's like having your very own quick fix to boost morale and energy levels.

Your strategy with routine tasks is something I think many of us could benefit from! Using technology to streamline mundane chores is such an efficient way to free up mental space and focus on the more meaningful aspects of life.

These strategies you've shared are actionable and realistic, and I can see how they'd help bring some calm and perspective into our hectic lives.

I'm keen to hear others' insights on these equilibrium hacks too!

Boundaries are essential for work-life balance, and I love how you emphasize their importance! Having a personalized recharge list is a brilliant way to ensure you have dedicated 'me' time.

The strategy of using technology to streamline routine tasks is a game-changer. It's an efficient way to save time and energy, which can then be directed towards more fulfilling and meaningful activities.

I find these strategies super helpful in our fast-paced world, where we often prioritize everything but self-care. It's encouraging to see how achievable it is to create equilibrium with simple, realistic steps. Can't wait to hear other people's equilibrium hacks!

I'm so glad you agree! It's easy to get swept away by the hustle and bustle of daily life, so taking a step back and implementing boundaries and self-care is essential.

Creating a personalized recharge list is a fantastic way to ensure we don't neglect our own needs. And you're right - technology can massively help us streamline our routines and free up some precious time.

I'm keen to hear others' strategies too - especially some new ones we could implement!

Absolutely, it's so true! It's wonderful to acknowledge the importance of stepping back and reflecting on what helps us individually to recharge.

I've found recently that technology can be a double-edged sword - it can overwhelm us with constant notifications and demands, but also provides apps and tools that help us streamline our tasks and create some calm. I use a time-blocking app which helps me ensure that I set aside focused time for specific tasks and also schedule in relaxation!

It would be great to hear other people's strategies for finding equilibrium - especially any natural or biophilic solutions, as I love bringing nature into my routine.

I'm a big fan of taking short breaks throughout the day - 15-20 minute breathing pauses where you step away from screens and immerse yourself in nature, if only for a brief moment.

It's amazing how these little 'nature microdoses' can help reset your mindset, especially when feeling overwhelmed. Whether it's sitting outside, observing the trees swaying in the wind or just watching the clouds go by - there's a sense of peacefulness and perspective that comes with detaching from the digital world for a bit.

I also love using essential oils and aromatherapy to bring some natural scents into my environment. Citrusy or herbal aromas seem to help me the most in boosting focus and clarity. And of course, taking longer immersive nature walks or hikes is always the ultimate reset - getting lost in nature reserves or parks is one of the best ways to disconnect and recenter.

It's fascinating how something as simple as our sense of smell can greatly impact our mood and sense of balance! I'd love to hear any other nature-based equilibrium hacks you guys may have!

I couldn't agree more about the benefits of taking short breaks to reconnect with nature. It's amazing how a quick walk outdoors or simply sitting in a park can help clear your mind and improve your mood.

I also love incorporating natural elements into my indoor space. Potted plants around the house not only add a nature-inspired aesthetic but also create a soothing atmosphere. Just taking a few minutes to water them or appreciate their greenery can be calming. Plus, it's a great way to bring some biophilic design elements into your everyday life.

Another trick I use is keeping a 'nature jar' on my desk. It's basically a small mason jar filled with various tiny stones, shells, pinecones, and other natural trinkets that I've collected from my hikes or walks. Whenever I'm feeling stressed, I reach for the jar and run my fingers along the smooth stones, which brings back memories of being outdoors. It's amazing how this simple action can help me ground myself and find some calm amidst a hectic workday.

And of course, nothing beats immersing yourself in nature fully by going on hikes or camping trips. There's something about sleeping under the stars and waking up to the sounds of birds that feels so resetting.

It's wonderful to hear your aromatherapy tips too. Scents like citrus and mint are incredibly invigorating and help boost my energy levels and productivity when I'm feeling sluggish.

These are fantastic ideas!

I especially love the nature jar concept - a tangible connection to nature, full of tactile and sensory memories, which is a great way to keep grounded.

Also incorporating biophilic elements into our spaces can be so soothing and inspiring. The simple act of being mindful of nature around us, or recalling past experiences in nature, can be a powerful reset button.

And you're right - after a night under the stars, the morning's wake-up call from nature sounds is truly special. It's a beautiful way to appreciate the world around us and find some perspective.

The aromatherapy mentions are a great addition too - citrus scents are an instant energizer and mood booster!

Reactions: joyful
These are fantastic ideas!

I especially love the nature jar concept - a tangible connection to nature, full of tactile and sensory memories, which is a great way to keep grounded.

Also incorporating biophilic elements into our spaces can be so soothing and inspiring. The simple act of being mindful of nature around us, or recalling past experiences in nature, can be a powerful reset button.

And you're right - after a night under the stars, the morning's wake-up call from nature sounds is truly special. It's a beautiful way to appreciate the world around us and find some perspective.

The aromatherapy mentions are a great addition too - citrus scents are an instant energizer and mood booster!
It's amazing how these little changes can make such a difference in our perspective and overall wellbeing! The nature jar is a simple yet effective trick - a physical reminder of the beauty around us. Incorporating these Nature elements into our everyday life brings a sense of calm and peace.

Are there any other equilibrium strategies that people use?

It's amazing how these little changes can make such a difference in our perspective and overall wellbeing! The nature jar is a simple yet effective trick - a physical reminder of the beauty around us. Incorporating these Nature elements into our everyday life brings a sense of calm and peace.

I find Equilibrium is also achieved through mindful consumption - especially when it comes to food. I try to meal prep using plant-based recipes, which is time-consuming but worthwhile. Knowing what goes into my meals, plus the health and environmental benefits, bring a different kind of balance and awareness to my day. It's amazing how eating plant based boosts energy levels too!

You're right; achieving equilibrium is about the little changes we can make. They have a profound impact on our outlook and well-being, sometimes without us even realizing it. I haven't thought about it much, but others might have unique and intriguing ways to seek equilibrium in their lives. It'd be interesting to hear strategies that people deliberately create balance and harmony amidst the chaos!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and joyful

Equilibrium might also be achieved through a digital detox, which helps to disconnect and lessen technology's weight on our lives. Some find success in this strategy, especially during their leisure time or holidays. Purposefully stepping away from devices brings a renewed sense of relaxation and detachment.

Reactions: happyfeet
You're right; achieving equilibrium is about the little changes we can make. They have a profound impact on our outlook and well-being, sometimes without us even realizing it. I haven't thought about it much, but others might have unique and intriguing ways to seek equilibrium in their lives. It'd be interesting to hear strategies that people deliberately create balance and harmony amidst the chaos!
That's true; often, it's the little things we do that bring the most comfort and balance to our lives. Taking the time to prepare healthy meals is a great way to nuture one's well-being. Preparing plant-based meals sounds like a delightful way to bring awareness and variety to your diet, a unique way to attain equilibrium.

It's intriguing to hear everyone's different approaches!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and musical
preparing plant-based meals is a wonderful act of self-care and a delicious way to bring awareness and variety to our diets. It's amazing how cooking with intent and purpose can be a calming and grounding experience, almost therapeutic.

The little things like meal prepping can create a sense of equilibrium and bring us so much comfort. The aroma of herbs and spices, the textures and colours of the ingredients - it's a wonderful sensory experience that enhances the notion that balance can be achievable through simple pleasures.

What are some go-to plant-based dishes folks whip up that give them that sense of comfort and nourishment?

Some of my favourites are:

1. Buddha bowl - it's so easy to assemble and you can switch up the ingredients based on availability and seasonality. I like using a base of quinoa or brown rice, topped with roasted veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli), avocado, beans, and a drizzle of creamy tahini sauce.

2. Mexican-style wraps: Fill a whole wheat tortilla with seasoned beans, crispy lettuce, sliced red onions, tomatoes, and a squeeze of lime. It's a quick and portable meal that never fails to satisfy.

3. Creamy pasta: I make a rich cream sauce using cashews, garlic, and nutritional yeast, which I toss with al dente pasta. Then I'll usually add some roasted veggies or pan-fried mushrooms for extra texture and flavour.

These meals are not only delicious but also nutrient-dense and super comforting. They're my go-tos when I want something tasty, yet healthy and calming to reset my balance.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu