• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

A good night's rest

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many ways to ensure a good night's sleep. Having a consistent sleep schedule, along with a relaxing pre-sleep routine, can help signal to your body that bedtime is approaching. This can include activities such as taking a warm/cool shower, stretching, reading a book, journaling, doing gentle exercises or yoga, and drinking herbal tea. Creating a calm and soothing environment is essential, which can be achieved by keeping the room cool and dark, using eye masks and earplugs, and avoiding distractions like screens or background noises.

Some find that routine stretches, evening walks, or light meditation help them tire themselves out enough to sleep well. Remembering to put down electronic devices, such as phones and laptops, is crucial, as the blue light they emit can disrupt sleep. Instead, try doing something relaxing and mundane - like enjoying some soft music or using a white noise machine - and make sure the room is well-ventilated.

Invest in cozy bedding and aim for a comfortable bedroom temperature. Avoid caffeine in the afternoons, bright lights, and heavy meals too close to bedtime. Having a fixed routine and a peaceful environment will help your mind and body relax and prepare for a good night's rest. If you're stressed, try visualizing your worries floating away or jotting them down on paper to help clear your mind.

Lastly, wind down with a calming activity to look forward to every evening. This could be that cup of herbal tea or listening to soothing music. Everyone has different strategies, but the above suggestions can help create a peaceful environment for quality sleep.

What helps you have a truly restful night?

Do you have bedtime rituals that signal to your mind and body that it's time to wind down? Or perhaps you have specific things you do during the day that help you sleep at night - an intense workout or an evening walk in nature?

Share your tips for a good night's rest and let's create a comprehensive guide to improving our sleep together!

Having a consistent sleep schedule really helps! I usually take a warm shower at night and make sure my bed sheets are cool and fresh. It's so relaxing to snooze away when you're snug in a cozy bed.

Also, avoiding screens an hour before bedtime is a great way to unwind. Instead, I'd read a book or do some gentle stretching. Calms my mind and body, ya know?

And on weekends, I'd treat myself to a lazy morning. No alarms! That extra shuteye and leisurely mornings are a nice bonus after a busy work week.

53789628036_5a6a9a75cd_m.jpg

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Having a consistent sleep schedule really helps! I usually take a warm shower at night and make sure my bed sheets are cool and fresh. It's so relaxing to snooze away when you're snug in a cozy bed.

Also, avoiding screens an hour before bedtime is a great way to unwind. Instead, I'd read a book or do some gentle stretching. Calms my mind and body, ya know?

And on weekends, I'd treat myself to a lazy morning. No alarms! That extra shuteye and leisurely mornings are a nice bonus after a busy work week.

53789628036_5a6a9a75cd_m.jpg
I'm usually one who has to struggle with falling asleep cause my mind's always racing. But ya, some things that help are having a cool, dark room and fresh sheets. I find that using eye masks and earplugs also helps to block out distractions.

If I'm especiallywired and can't settle down, I'll jot down what's on my mind in a journal so that I can let go of the thoughts and relax. Or I'll read something mundane - nothing too exciting or terrifying! - before bed.

I'm usually one who has to struggle with falling asleep cause my mind's always racing. But ya, some things that help are having a cool, dark room and fresh sheets. I find that using eye masks and earplugs also helps to block out distractions.

If I'm especiallywired and can't settle down, I'll jot down what's on my mind in a journal so that I can let go of the thoughts and relax. Or I'll read something mundane - nothing too exciting or terrifying! - before bed.
Oh yeah, I can relate to having a racing mind when trying to sleep. That's a great idea to use earplugs and eye masks to block out distractions. I also find that using a white noise machine can help too. Somehow the soft whooshing sound blocks out background noises and helps me focus on calming down.

I've also heard of people doing some deep breathing exercises or meditation to quiet their minds. But honestly, most days I'm too tired to even remember to do those haha! Just remembering to put down my phone is a victory in itself.

Having a notepad and pen by the bed is a good idea too, to jot down thoughts that are keeping you awake. Seems like we have some similarities in our bedtime routines!

A nice hot shower and some stretching before bed helps me sleep like a baby! Also avoiding my phone and the bright screen of my laptop at least half an hour before I sleep really makes a difference. I wind down by reading a physical book or journaling - something about pen and paper helps me relax and unwind from the day.

I find that going to bed and waking up at the same time everyday also contributes to good quality rest. Like our bodies have this natural clock that thrives on routine! On days when I feel particularly stressed, I make sure to take deeper breaths and visualize my worries floating away. It's amazing how a good night's rest makes everything seem more manageable the next day.

200w.gif

A nice hot shower and some stretching before bed helps me sleep like a baby! Also avoiding my phone and the bright screen of my laptop at least half an hour before I sleep really makes a difference. I wind down by reading a physical book or journaling - something about pen and paper helps me relax and unwind from the day.

I find that going to bed and waking up at the same time everyday also contributes to good quality rest. Like our bodies have this natural clock that thrives on routine! On days when I feel particularly stressed, I make sure to take deeper breaths and visualize my worries floating away. It's amazing how a good night's rest makes everything seem more manageable the next day.

200w.gif
Yup, agree on the power of routine! My bedtime routine helps signal to my body that it's time to chill. I usually keep the lights low after dinner and avoid screen time too - super bright and blue light is such a no-no for sleep.

I like taking a warm bath and doing some simple skincare before bed. It's become a slow, relaxing ritual that prepares me for beddy-bye. Also, drinking herbal tea and reading a good old physical book helps too! I find that when I stick to this routine, I definitely sleep better and feel refreshed in the mornings.

Sometimes though, a quick workout or some yoga poses also help tire me out enough to sleep well. But most importantly, a consistent bedtime and rise-and-shine time really make a difference!

Yup, agree on the power of routine! My bedtime routine helps signal to my body that it's time to chill. I usually keep the lights low after dinner and avoid screen time too - super bright and blue light is such a no-no for sleep.

I like taking a warm bath and doing some simple skincare before bed. It's become a slow, relaxing ritual that prepares me for beddy-bye. Also, drinking herbal tea and reading a good old physical book helps too! I find that when I stick to this routine, I definitely sleep better and feel refreshed in the mornings.

Sometimes though, a quick workout or some yoga poses also help tire me out enough to sleep well. But most importantly, a consistent bedtime and rise-and-shine time really make a difference!
A consistent routine is key! Agree on keeping the lights low in the evening and avoiding screens. I find that doing some simple stretching before bed helps me too - nice and relaxing.

I usually take a short walk in the evenings, nothing too intense haha. But it helps me wind down and combined with a bedtime routine, it's quite effective at signaling to my body that sleep is coming. Also, I feel that it's good to have something calming to look forward to at the end of the day - like a cozy cup of herbal tea and some reading time!

Some days when I'm extra wired, I'll do some light meditation to tire myself out. But yeah, keeping things consistent is what really helps me.

A consistent routine is key! Agree on keeping the lights low in the evening and avoiding screens. I find that doing some simple stretching before bed helps me too - nice and relaxing.

I usually take a short walk in the evenings, nothing too intense haha. But it helps me wind down and combined with a bedtime routine, it's quite effective at signaling to my body that sleep is coming. Also, I feel that it's good to have something calming to look forward to at the end of the day - like a cozy cup of herbal tea and some reading time!

Some days when I'm extra wired, I'll do some light meditation to tire myself out. But yeah, keeping things consistent is what really helps me.
I love that you mentioned having something calming to look forward to; it's a great way to end the day. Creating a relaxing pre-sleep routine is an excellent way to prepare our bodies and minds for rest.

I've also found that avoiding heavy meals and excessive fluids before bed helps. Keep the evenings nice and peaceful, with some soft music or white noise, can help too!

I love that you mentioned having something calming to look forward to; it's a great way to end the day. Creating a relaxing pre-sleep routine is an excellent way to prepare our bodies and minds for rest.

I've also found that avoiding heavy meals and excessive fluids before bed helps. Keep the evenings nice and peaceful, with some soft music or white noise, can help too!
Totally! Having a ritual of winding down with soothing activities is half the battle won.

I make sure my daughter has her night routine too. Bath time, a story, and a feed settles her nicely for the night. It's nice seeing her look forward to it too.

Some nights though, it feels like nothing works and we're all wired! Haha. On those nights, I just keep telling myself that tomorrow's a new day.

Avoiding screens an hour before bedtime is my personal tip! And also keeping the room well-ventilated - nothing like some evening breeze to chill you out and make you drowsy.

Having a good mattress and pillow helps too. Some people might think it's a splurge, but investing in good bedding really makes a world of difference! You'll be spending almost a third of your life sleeping, so it's worthwhile to get things that'll make your slumber comfy and serene.

Avoiding screens an hour before bedtime is my personal tip! And also keeping the room well-ventilated - nothing like some evening breeze to chill you out and make you drowsy.

Having a good mattress and pillow helps too. Some people might think it's a splurge, but investing in good bedding really makes a world of difference! You'll be spending almost a third of your life sleeping, so it's worthwhile to get things that'll make your slumber comfy and serene.
Oh yeah, the whole digital detox thing is such a great idea! It's easy to get sucked into the scroll spiral and before you know it, it's past bedtime. Setting a timer or using the Do Not Disturb function helps too!

And I completely agree about the bedding. It doesn't have to be super expensive though - just picking sheets and pillows that suit your comfort levels is such an underrated yet effective way to improve sleep quality!

I'm usually beat after a long day so I just take a hot shower and then zone out to some TV show before hitting the hay. Most times, I sleep like a baby till morning.

Also, avoiding screens and blue light at least an hour before bedtime is a good way to make sure you get some good rest.

200w.gif

Reactions: chickadee
I'm usually beat after a long day so I just take a hot shower and then zone out to some TV show before hitting the hay. Most times, I sleep like a baby till morning.

Also, avoiding screens and blue light at least an hour before bedtime is a good way to make sure you get some good rest.

200w.gif
For those super active days when my mind's still racing after a long shower, I find journaling really helps to dump everything out of my head onto paper. It's like transferring all my thoughts into the journal so I can 'switch off' and relax. And I totally agree about keeping the room nice and cool - super comforting and soothing!

200w.gif

For those super active days when my mind's still racing after a long shower, I find journaling really helps to dump everything out of my head onto paper. It's like transferring all my thoughts into the journal so I can 'switch off' and relax. And I totally agree about keeping the room nice and cool - super comforting and soothing!

200w.gif
That's a great tip! Getting all that mental clutter out lets you make space for some actual peace and tranquility. I might try that journaling trick, sounds like it could be calming.

Reactions: joyful
A good cool shower at night and keeping the room dark and slightly cool definitely helps me sleep soundly like a baby! Some people may find it helpful to avoid caffeine after noon, and not looking at any screens an hour before bedtime. But different strokes for different folks - everyone has their own special recipe for a good night's rest!

Reactions: cissy
I make sure everything's in order before I snooze. Got no issues with insomnia so long as my phone's on silent mode and my bedroom's nice and cool. I also like to take a really quick cold shower right before I sleep. Sometimes, if I'm still feeling amped up, I'll do some stretching in bed. Helps me relax.

I usually just take a long hot shower at night, wash away the day's stresses and think about nothing while I'm in there. Also helps to listen to some soothing music - I go for classical stuff like Mozart or Beethoven. Then by the time I hit the hay, my mind is all calm and relaxed and it's easier to fall asleep.

Also, avoiding screens an hour before bedtime is a good tip!

For sure, a good night's rest depends on many factors!

I make sure my room is dark and cool - I have thick curtains to block out daylight and keep the room cozy. Also, no gadgets an hour before bedtime. Instead, I catch up with my journal or do some light reading. Drinking herbal tea has become a nightly ritual which signals to my body it's time to slow down.

During the day, I make sure to get some sun and go for walks to tire myself out. Avoiding caffeine after 2pm also helps me sleep better. Sometimes, I take a short nap in the afternoon to boost my energy levels, so I'm not too tired when evening comes. An intense workout or yoga session in the evenings also helps with winding down.

Having a generally tidy room and making sure the space is well-ventilated also contributes to a peaceful night's rest. Fresh linens are another must! I make sure to change them frequently so that the bed feels extra inviting.

53775590810_555b353a22_m.jpg

Yep, bedtime rituals are important! I find that doing some simple stretching is a great way to relax before bed - nothing too hardcore either haha. Just some gentle movements to signal to my body that it's almost sleepy time.

Having a consistent sleep schedule makes a huge difference too. And yeah, like you said, keeping the room well-ventilated and avoiding screens is a must for a good night's rest. I'm guilty of having to remind myself to put the phone away sometimes, but it really helps when I do.

Investing in good mattresses and bedding is no joke - super worth it! You spend so much time sleeping that it makes sense to make it as comfy as possible.

Reactions: chickadee
My phone has a blue light filter that turns on automatically 30 minutes before my bedtime. That helps me wind down and signal to my body that sleep is approaching.

I also try to avoid screens altogether during this time - it's hard, tho! So easy to get sucked into mindlessly scrolling. I find that if I'm occupied with something else, like a good book or an interesting podcast, it helps me relax and forget about the world of scrolling.

Also, having a small snack - a banana or some nuts - helps too, so I don't wake up in the middle of the night hungry. But not too filling, 'cause then I won't be able to sleep either! A cozy bedroom certainly helps, and fresh, cool sheets are a must.

• Love
Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu