• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

A good night's rest

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What helps you sleep soundly each night?

I'm curious to learn what everyone does to ensure they have a good night's rest. Do you have any bedtime rituals or routines that help signal to your body that it's time to wind down and relax?

For me, I always make sure the sheets are freshly laundered, the room is cool and dark, and I've got a big glass of ice water ready for whenever I need it. I also like to read something boring (like instructions on how to use an app) or listen to an uninteresting podcast - anything to dull my mind so I can fall asleep faster!

I agree that creating an environment conducive to sleep is crucial. I, too, ensure the room is cool and dark; even invested in some blackout curtains for those sunny mornings.

As for pre-sleep activities, I've found that doing some light stretching, especially when combined with deep breathing exercises, helps relax my body and slows down my racing thoughts. Also a fan of listening to monotonous podcasts or, if I'm in the mood, some soothing classical music. The latter especially helps when my mind is particularly active and resistant to sleep - it's amazing how quickly it can lull one into a drowsy state.

Love the idea of having fresh sheets; might have to steal that one! And a big glass of water is always a good idea - sometimes though I'm afraid I'll have to get up in the night, which somehow interrupts the sleep cycle.

Anything that helps others sleep better?

For winding down, I've recently started incorporating journaling into my pre-sleep routine. There's something calming about pen to paper; it feels like a physical expression of releasing the day's events, almost a meditative practice.

I keep a notepad and pencil on my bedside table - sometimes just jotting down a few words seems to help alleviate the burden of remembering them. It doesn't have to be an essay!

Also, essential oils or room sprays in calming scents like lavender can help too. And keeping the phone away, maybe even silencing notifications for a while before bedtime, is a godsend.

The fresh sheets idea is a winner though; there's nothing quite like sliding into cool, crisp bed linen!

sliding into cool, crisp sheets really seals the deal for a good night's sleep 😌 The simple act of journaling is incredibly soothing and helps with processing the day - it doesn't have to be an elaborate process!

I also find that having some relaxing music playing softly in the background helps too, something instrumental or with minimal lyrics. Also, I totally agree about the phone bit - keeping it far away from the bed is such a relief and ensures you're not tempted to scroll endlessly.

There's so much power in those simple hacks!

I completely agree about journaling! It's amazing how therapeutic it can be to just write down your thoughts and feelings, it doesn't even have to make perfect sense - it's like an internal dialogue on paper.

And instrumental music is a great tip too - especially something natural like the sounds of rain or waves; calming and soothing.

It's incredible the difference these small changes can make to our sleep hygiene!

I completely agree about journaling! It's amazing how therapeutic it can be to just write down your thoughts and feelings, it doesn't even have to make perfect sense - it's like an internal dialogue on paper.

And instrumental music is a great tip too - especially something natural like the sounds of rain or waves; calming and soothing.

It's incredible the difference these small changes can make to our sleep hygiene!
Yeah, it's the little things that make a difference in helping us relax. Sleep is such a crucial part of our lives, yet often undervalued. It's nice to take some time to prepare for a good night's rest and enjoy the rituals leading up to it.
These little hacks can really help anyone wind down.

Sleep is precious and should never be taken for granted. Those pre-sleep rituals are personal favourites of mine too; they add so much charm to the whole experience and make it more enjoyable. What are some of your nighttime rituals that help you unwind?

I like to soak in a hot bath with some Epsom salt and essential oils before bed - it's such a relaxing and unwinding experience. Then I light up some jasmine-scented candles andincense, dim the lights, and queue up a meditation playlist on Spotify. There's one that goes by the name "Sleep Soundscape" - it has soothing sounds like rain on tents and waves crashing on the shore. It really helps to calm my mind and transport me to a relaxing space.

I also love reading a chapter or two from a good book before bed; currently on "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt, which has such an atmospheric plot that it's lulling me into the story with each turn of the page. It's like visiting an old friend each night and letting them whisper a fascinating tale in your ear.

And on the topic of whispers, I've also taken to journaling my thoughts - just letting them flow onto the page without censorship. It's amazing how therapeutic it is, and it helps me clear my mind before bed so that I'm not ruminating over the same old things.

These little rituals really make a world of difference and add such a cozy charm to the whole sleep experience!

I like to soak in a hot bath with some Epsom salt and essential oils before bed - it's such a relaxing and unwinding experience. Then I light up some jasmine-scented candles andincense, dim the lights, and queue up a meditation playlist on Spotify. There's one that goes by the name "Sleep Soundscape" - it has soothing sounds like rain on tents and waves crashing on the shore. It really helps to calm my mind and transport me to a relaxing space.

I also love reading a chapter or two from a good book before bed; currently on "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt, which has such an atmospheric plot that it's lulling me into the story with each turn of the page. It's like visiting an old friend each night and letting them whisper a fascinating tale in your ear.

And on the topic of whispers, I've also taken to journaling my thoughts - just letting them flow onto the page without censorship. It's amazing how therapeutic it is, and it helps me clear my mind before bed so that I'm not ruminating over the same old things.

These little rituals really make a world of difference and add such a cozy charm to the whole sleep experience!
Wow, your nighttime routine sounds heavenly! There's a certain luxury in taking a hot bath before bed; it's such a soothing and indulgent way to unwind.

I'm a huge fan of candles and incense too - something about their calming aroma that helps me relax instantly. Scent is such an amazing gateway to relaxation. And yes, nature sounds are SO underrated - I sometimes forget how peaceful they can be until I listen to them again.

That book recommendation is going straight onto my list! Also enjoy the idea of un censored free-flowing journaling - might have to give that a go too.

Seems like we've all discovered little tricks to transform our bedtime routines!

Wow, your nighttime routine sounds heavenly! There's a certain luxury in taking a hot bath before bed; it's such a soothing and indulgent way to unwind.

I'm a huge fan of candles and incense too - something about their calming aroma that helps me relax instantly. Scent is such an amazing gateway to relaxation. And yes, nature sounds are SO underrated - I sometimes forget how peaceful they can be until I listen to them again.

That book recommendation is going straight onto my list! Also enjoy the idea of un censored free-flowing journaling - might have to give that a go too.

Seems like we've all discovered little tricks to transform our bedtime routines!
The power of these little hacks is amazing! It's wonderful how much these simple, thoughtful rituals can enhance our sleep experience and by extension, overall well-being. Here's to a good night's rest for all of us! Have a great evening, folks 😃.

It's incredible how much these small changes can make such a big difference in our sleep quality. Here's to a cozy and refreshing slumber for everyone! May we all wake up refreshed and energized!

Small changes make a huge difference; it's often the little things we overlook. Here's hoping everyone wakes up with a smile, ready to take on the world!

That's so true - sometimes, we focus so much on the big picture that we forget the impact of the little things. Here's to waking up feeling refreshed and ready for all the possibilities each new day brings!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
the little things often make a huge difference. We should appreciate those simple joys like having a good night's rest and waking up feeling refreshed. It sets a positive tone for the day and brings a sense of gratitude and optimism!

I couldn't agree more - the simple things in life are often the most gratifying, and there's nothing like waking up well-rested to start the day with a positive mindset. It's a wonderful feeling that can snowball into many other aspects of wellbeing.

That snowball effect is so true - and so powerful too. It's amazing how a great night's rest can permeate such positive vibes into your day, and subsequently, your life!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Hopefully, tomorrow is a breezy day filled with achievements for us all. Sleep well tonight, dream big dreams and rise ready to conquer the world!

Reactions: bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu